Stage 2 with DPs - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ushers99 is now excited for his MY12 DMG
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Stage 2 with DPs

Hey guys,

So I've recently got a stage 2 upgrade with the gearbox update and what a fantastic decision that was, however i'm after some more noise before i decide to jump up to stage 4. Therefore i have some questions about donwpipes....

1. What power (BHP and Torque) could i expect to see after having down pipes fitted to my stage 2 car?
2. What is the best brand to go for as they seem to range from £300 KR ones to £900 AMS ones? Is the quality any different?
3. What is the difference between cast and stainless steel, i'm assuming cast ones are more durable but do they make any difference to sound?
4. Is the sound in the cabin when cruising really bad or okay?

Would really appreciate if anyone in the London area with DP's fitted could take me for a spin as i would really like to see what they sound like.

Below is the kind of sound i'm after and as i have the MeisterR system which is fairly loud without DPs and a similar design to the JDM password exhaust, i'm hoping it will produce a similar note, let me know what you reckon?

INSANELY LOUD Straight Pipe Nissan GTR Alpha 6 Password JDM/AMS Catless - YouTube

Cheers for the help,

Jon
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Johnny G is here. Hi!
Registered

Cars owned: Nissan GT-R, BMW 730d, BMW 535d
With a full Stage 4 and downpipes, I'm getting 628bhp and 635lb/ft. That's with Litchfield cast downpipes and a 102mm exhaust.

If you car is loud now, it'll be VERY loud with downpipes. I've got mine heavily silenced.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 GT-R - Daytona Blue, Recaro Edition - Litchfield Stage 4.5, Alcon BBK: 754bhp, 642lb/ft
Johnny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
With a full Stage 4 and downpipes, I'm getting 628bhp and 635lb/ft. That's with Litchfield cast downpipes and a 102mm exhaust.

If you car is loud now, it'll be VERY loud with downpipes. I've got mine heavily silenced.
Very much like. Need to get mine on dyno to see what happens

Old 3rd December 2013, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Protegimus is remembering GT-R LMS4 motorsport
Registered

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Hi Jon,
Downpipes with cast bellmouth apparently reduce rasp compared to stainless fabricated and it is a more durable method of construction. If you want the ultimate noise, then stainless only may be the way to go; though I'm sure the MeisterR will sound great with either.
Cruising will be loud, but tolerable - I have a different exhaust with (Litchfield/Milltek) cast downpipes and it only gets properly aggressive when you really open the taps!

The addition of downpipes to your stage 2 will likely have injectors very close to their maximum or have your tuner detuning to avoid the situation; so I'd recommend the jump to stage 4 with downpipes - it'll provide the most reliable results and probably save on mapping time.

Protegimus
'59 Black R35 Black Edition :: Akrapovic Carbon/Ti cat back :: GTC Ti Y-pipe :: EcuTek LMS4.25 :: Alcons/Pagid RS-29/Goodridge lines :: Litchfield Handling Kit/Eibach ARB's :: RSW Carbon - gone but not forgotten
Protegimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushers99 View Post
Hey guys,

So I've recently got a stage 2 upgrade with the gearbox update and what a fantastic decision that was, however i'm after some more noise before i decide to jump up to stage 4. Therefore i have some questions about donwpipes....

1. What power (BHP and Torque) could i expect to see after having down pipes fitted to my stage 2 car?
2. What is the best brand to go for as they seem to range from £300 KR ones to £900 AMS ones? Is the quality any different?
3. What is the difference between cast and stainless steel, i'm assuming cast ones are more durable but do they make any difference to sound?

Would really appreciate if anyone in the London area with DP's fitted could take me for a spin as i would really like to see what they sound like.

Below is the kind of sound i'm after and as i have the MeisterR system which is fairly loud without DPs and a similar design to the JDM password exhaust, i'm hoping it will produce a similar note, let me know what you reckon?

INSANELY LOUD Straight Pipe Nissan GTR Alpha 6 Password JDM/AMS Catless - YouTube

Cheers for the help,

Jon
Russ fellows DPs get my votes
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
TomS is drinking fuel
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR, E46 M3
Another for Russ Fellows downpipes. Love the noise they help make
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
Couldn't agree more with everything Prot has said above.

All I would add is definitely get some cast ones or some high quality ones which won't crack easily.

As you know Jon I've got a pair of cast millteks on the way. Should sound epic with the meisterR

I'm gonna have to try it and see though. It may a bit too loud I may switch out the y-pipe for a silenced one if its too much.
Old 4th December 2013, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
[email protected] is On my dyno with my GTR

Cars owned: R35 GTR that keeps changing
Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers for the help,

Jon
My stage 2 is pretty much maxing the injectors so yours will be close, these will be the limiting factor of what can be achieved, boost will likely need reducing a little to keep the duty down.

That said the performance would be about the same and if it is the noise you want then it is worth doing if you are seeking some more power then do the intakes and injectors too.
Old 4th December 2013, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
extremelimo is very happy with my 700hp but wants more

dp

My stage 4 with DP is the only car I have every had to add silencers it was loud inside but ridiculous from outside. I put a centre resonator on and sound deadened under rear seats its now amazing
Old 4th December 2013, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I just thought it might be worth noting...

Bare in mind with an exhaust and downpipe change you are no longer running any catalytic convertors.
Which is against the construction and use regulations.
It will also result in an MOT fail due to the emissions test.

I believe people generally replace the Y pipe for an MOT every year to pass the emission test.

It is possible to have an upgraded CAT I think, but it seems generally people don't bother.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I run the new heavily silenced litchfield 102mm system with downpipes and it is now quieter than stock.

I am waiting to hear feedback on the noise recently measured on track but I'm sure I heard a mention of 96db drive by.

Richard has a point which is which I wanted to mention that there is also a race cat version.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Satan is skint, but with a stupidly big grin !!

Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers for the help,

Jon
Insanely loud?

No, just Niiiiiiiiiice
Old 9th December 2013, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ushers99 is now excited for his MY12 DMG

Anyone in the London area with downpipes fitted that could take me for a ride so I can see what they sound like?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 10th December 2013, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
rfo5 is unaware they can edit their status

Based in south london, got dp's with stage 4. Pm me if I can help.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
I would do, but your post makes it sound like you want it loud. You'd be disappointed hearing mine.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote