Goodwood 14/12/13 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th December 2013, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
AL0481 is in the middle of a big build!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Goodwood 14/12/13

Took my car to Goodwood this past Saturday, I was the only GTR there which was the first time I had done a trackday with no other GTRs. I really like this track as it is fast and free flowing perfect for my Stage 3 GTR.

So to set the scene.... It had rained heavily overnight and we were greeted with a cold, windy and wet/greasy track. The noise restriction was set at 98db and I came in at a measly 78 a slight surprise as the exhaust wasn't standard and the engine so powerful. Anyway briefing, check; wristband, check; now to queue up to get on track. As I mentioned I was the only GTR and there weren't many powerful cars there so I was feeling confident that I could overtake comfortably anything else there until I peered down the line behind me and saw a Porsche Turbo S with carbon ceramics (the enemy of the GTR if you will however I am a fan). I left my mate to watch over the car and keep her warm while I thought I would go and have a chat with the guy to see if his car was standard..., it was but he was boasting 0-60 times, top speed and power as if he thought HE would destroy anything here, effectively laying down the gauntlet. I kept quiet thinking my car will do that talking and...... IT DID! I destroyed him literally lapping him after a lap and half, maybe he wasn't giving it 'the beans' but then he shouldn't do so much talking before hand! It's a shame either way as he didn't do justice to his very, I know some of you aren't fans, fast Porsche.

Anyway, in the conditions the GTR was king and I even managed to get her sideways and do a few controlled drifts! I learnt the the GTR does snap back out of oversteer (in R mode) quite ferociously but once you've experienced it once you know what to look out for! Another thing I feel I should mention is that the Michelin Piliot Super Sport tyres as SO much better then the Dunlops, IMO, I felt the transition into slide so much better then the standard rubber and they move around a lot more predictably.

In conclusion this owner loves his creation (Litchfields Stage 3, Alcon Brakes, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, BBS rims and a matt silver wrap from PW Pro) and if you haven't been to Goodwood yet I highly recommend it I'll be there on 18th March 2014.
Old 16th December 2013, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
majestic is attending new kent meet
GTROC Member

Try Brands Hatch on 21st dec, you will find plenty of competition.
Old 16th December 2013, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL0481 View Post
Took my car to Goodwood this past Saturday, I was the only GTR there which was the first time I had done a trackday with no other GTRs. I really like this track as it is fast and free flowing perfect for my Stage 3 GTR.

So to set the scene.... It had rained heavily overnight and we were greeted with a cold, windy and wet/greasy track. The noise restriction was set at 98db and I came in at a measly 78 a slight surprise as the exhaust wasn't standard and the engine so powerful. Anyway briefing, check; wristband, check; now to queue up to get on track. As I mentioned I was the only GTR and there weren't many powerful cars there so I was feeling confident that I could overtake comfortably anything else there until I peered down the line behind me and saw a Porsche Turbo S with carbon ceramics (the enemy of the GTR if you will however I am a fan). I left my mate to watch over the car and keep her warm while I thought I would go and have a chat with the guy to see if his car was standard..., it was but he was boasting 0-60 times, top speed and power as if he thought HE would destroy anything here, effectively laying down the gauntlet. I kept quiet thinking my car will do that talking and...... IT DID! I destroyed him literally lapping him after a lap and half, maybe he wasn't giving it 'the beans' but then he shouldn't do so much talking before hand! It's a shame either way as he didn't do justice to his very, I know some of you aren't fans, fast Porsche.

Anyway, in the conditions the GTR was king and I even managed to get her sideways and do a few controlled drifts! I learnt the the GTR does snap back out of oversteer (in R mode) quite ferociously but once you've experienced it once you know what to look out for! Another thing I feel I should mention is that the Michelin Piliot Super Sport tyres as SO much better then the Dunlops, IMO, I felt the transition into slide so much better then the standard rubber and they move around a lot more predictably.

In conclusion this owner loves his creation (Litchfields Stage 3, Alcon Brakes, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, BBS rims and a matt silver wrap from PW Pro) and if you haven't been to Goodwood yet I highly recommend it I'll be there on 18th March 2014.

Good one me ol mate, I have been doing that, spanking Porkers and their boastful owners for 16 years with both GTR's LOL

I love Goodwood but the noise restrictions have a habit of fcuking my day up !!!!

Brands is too Mickey Mouse for a GTR, you need to go to Donny or Silverstone to exploit the car fully !!!

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th December 2013, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
stixGTR is fighting the tuning itch

Cars owned: R35 GTR, ST TDCI MONDEO, R33 GTST spec 2, vauxhall vectra V6 SRi, vectra GLS , cavilier SRi , astra van and a bedford rascal !!
I love goodwood and its my local circuit too.

Im a bit puzzled over your db reading though as my totally stock GTR measures 93db and with the Y-pipe on 103db.

great circuit though, and there must be something about GTRs killing Porsche turbos on the goodwood circuit as I did the same thing to a spankers turbo s cab on the 30/11/13.

he was sporting carbon ceramics too and also took the time to tell me he was by far the fastest thing on the track ha ha
Old 17th December 2013, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
purleskyline is Still feeding the R33
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR track/sprint.nissan R35 GTR renault megane trophy vivaro van.
Hi Alo481,I was at goodwood last Saturday in an old 51 plate vectra,and that tw## of a Porsche was getting in my way,yes he had plenty of noise and speed down the straight but he was crap through the corners.I caught him up,but he would just blast down straight,then I would be right up behind him again through corners.

Classic laugh,I had was carrying good speed through lavant and onto lavant straight when I was right behind him again,it actually took him a good through seconds to boot it out the way,I would have loved to have seen his face looking in his mirror with an old vectra up his ars#,when he was on full chat.

I'm booked on brands on Saturday,and this time I will be in the track 33 GTR.

P.s love the wheels and darker coloured callipers
Db levels where very low last Saturday,I think they had problems with db meter,plus they are relaxing goodwood lately and using a more of a bank system,which worked well for noisy cars,as they're was a lot of quiet cars.

Will say hello next time.

Paul.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
AL0481 is in the middle of a big build!

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Hello mate, yes I remember you.... Your comment was brilliant when you were behind the blue V8 Vantage waiting to get on track.

That bloke thought he was all that and it was a shame cause he didn't do the car justice.

I can't make Brands that day but if would be great if you can make Goodwood again on 18th March will hopefully be a dryer day then!