Fuel degradation - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th December 2013, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
zed1 is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Fuel degradation

My car is effectively off the road now, probably until the end of March.

Should I be concerned about this?

What RON are you putting into your car? Are you sure about that?
Old 24th December 2013, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
15delux is Stage 4 is here!!!
GTROC Member

Don't leave it with a full tank?? Get it to a level where u can get to the pump in March and fill it up....
Old 25th December 2013, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
goRt is busy making lists
GT-RDC Member

Location: North Hampshire - Andover / Basingstoke / Winchester
Cars owned: 3*DBA, Elise SC, Golf Mk6r, MY10, 2*Golf R32, e46 M3, STI9 scooby, lots of other scoobies, 205 GTI, MG Maestro, Metro turbo
Reading the article it looks like filling the tank so there's zero oxygen would work better!
I've gone for the tank almost empty approach.

Old 25th December 2013, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

I don't think the oxygen reffered to is in the space in the tank Gort, it's in the fuel itself, so filling the tank would make no difference.

I'm surprised they say it can lose 1 ron per day, but they also say it's a logarithmic degradation, so rather like the effect of CO2 on temperature, the first 50 ppm has a greater effect than the following 200 ppm, hence just one of the reasons why there will never be man made global warming, but let's not go there

The other interesting thing is that the calorific value of ordinary unleaded is greater than that of super unleaded, I knew that after studying fuel years ago, but most ppl would never believe it's so.
Old 25th December 2013, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 3*DBA, Elise SC, Golf Mk6r, MY10, 2*Golf R32, e46 M3, STI9 scooby, lots of other scoobies, 205 GTI, MG Maestro, Metro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
I don't think the oxygen reffered to is in the space in the tank Gort, it's in the fuel itself, so filling the tank would make no difference.

I'm surprised they say it can lose 1 ron per day, but they also say it's a logarithmic degradation, so rather like the effect of CO2 on temperature, the first 50 ppm has a greater effect than the following 200 ppm, hence just one of the reasons why there will never be man made global warming, but let's not go there

The other interesting thing is that the calorific value of ordinary unleaded is greater than that of super unleaded, I knew that after studying fuel years ago, but most ppl would never believe it's so.
I read it that it's the air in the station tank, but as the petrol doesn't know where it is it will behave the same in the car's tank.
So if the area exposed to the air is just the width of the filler then there shouldn't be a major issue vs. the volume in a full tank, so maybe I should have gone for the full tank approach???
Too late now as I'm 6,000 miles away.
Old 25th December 2013, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
ifty is Enjoying ownership of the
Registered

I always go full tank when the cars put away for winter
Old 25th December 2013, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
15delux is Stage 4 is here!!!
GTROC Member

Surely an empty tank is better if you bothered with degradation. Just top it off with a new can if fuel before u drive it to the petrol station? Won't that liven the fuel up??
Old 25th December 2013, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Odd amount if concern here.

Leave it nearly empty. If necessary drop the map to 95, drive off boost straight to the station in spring and brim it with the good stuff.

I've not read the article.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
AP Steve is getting the urge to go back to 2 wheels.
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 2010 GTR Stage 2
I wouldn't worry about fuel going 'bad' unless you plan to leave it over 6 months without starting it.
Old 25th December 2013, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goRt View Post
I read it that it's the air in the station tank, but as the petrol doesn't know where it is it will behave the same in the car's tank.
So if the area exposed to the air is just the width of the filler then there shouldn't be a major issue vs. the volume in a full tank, so maybe I should have gone for the full tank approach???
Too late now as I'm 6,000 miles away.
I think you've read it wrong mate. Air in the tank makes no difference.
Old 25th December 2013, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
EF Ian is loving his 260Z GT-R

Better to leave the tank full, it stops condensation and rust forming in the tank. Always done this and added a fuel stabilizer, never had any problems, even on a highly tuned NA engine with very high compression ratio.
Old 25th December 2013, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
LiamGTR is the creator of your GTR Register logo

Cars owned: E46 330Ci SSG
Leave tank nearly empty
Fill jerry can up in March
Put jerry can in car

Surely that's the most simple and safe way?
Old 25th December 2013, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
zed1 is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF Ian View Post
Better to leave the tank full, it stops condensation and rust forming in the tank. Always done this and added a fuel stabilizer, never had any problems, even on a highly tuned NA engine with very high compression ratio.
Condensation and rust were my next questions. Just read up on fuel stabilizers on Wikipedia. Seems like the way to go considering the tank is very nearly full anyway.
Old 25th December 2013, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
isub is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: 10' R35, stage 4, Russ Fellows system, Eibach arb's, ap & XP10's, MPSS
Are off the shelf octane boosters of any use in this situation?
Old 25th December 2013, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
DMH12 is unaware they can edit their status

I'm shocked there are people out there putting their cars away for the winter and worrying about modern fuels deteriorating inside the tank. These are modern day cars designed for everyday use in all conditions are they not? I'm bewildered to see people treating them like rare antique ferraris that may rust at the first sight of salt
Old 25th December 2013, 10:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH12 View Post
I'm shocked there are people out there putting their cars away for the winter and worrying about modern fuels deteriorating inside the tank. These are modern day cars designed for everyday use in all conditions are they not? I'm bewildered to see people treating them like rare antique ferraris that may rust at the first sight of salt
It's all about choice, to be honest. I used to do the same with mine, mainly because I found no enjoyment in driving it in poor weather conditions and I had a nail as a daily driver. I think most people who put them away for winter are in the same, or similar, position to how I was.
Old 25th December 2013, 10:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
DMH12 is unaware they can edit their status

I'd be more concerned about the problems caused from leaving an engine sat doing nothing for long periods of time and the damage caused by the first few seconds of running than the petrol losing a bit of fizz.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH12 View Post
I'm on holiday in Asia for 3 months due to swmbo's health so have no choice.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
I think you've read it wrong mate. Air in the tank makes no difference.
OK, you're probably correct but another example of poor sentence construction (by the journo) leading to hard to comprehend information.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brains is nuts.

Cars owned: Vcam'd R33 GT-R
It's just a couple of months and it's only gasoline... top off your fuel tank and avoid driving like a maniac later when you are going to use up the tank of fuel.
Nothing is going to happen, besides IF you happened to loose a couple of octane ratings and you feel that you really have a lead foot, well that's why you have knock sensors.