MY14 GT-R - Impressions - Page 14 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th April 2014, 07:45 PM   #261 (permalink)
AnEvoGuy is loving his black Litchfield Stage3 2011!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG350Z View Post
Right will add my bit here and apologies if saying the same thing! Nissan London West kindly lent me their black MY14 Demo (well it needed running in right?) and so I was able to do around 600 miles in the Recaro edition.

I waned to do as close a 'test' as is possible so jumped straight out of my MY'10 Stage 4 with Downpipes) from London traffic and headed off in the MY14.

First impressions - I love a new car smell. Not relevant but it needed saying.

Ride Quality Very, very good. Significantly better than an MY'10 in both damping and handling rutted, resonant surfaces heading out to the M25. It 'smooths' the road like night and day from the '10 and is much less agile in the front end (was running old Bridgestones on 10 so probably not the most fair assessment). I guess the best impression I can give is it now rides like say a Mondeo rather than a GT-R. The first few miles were very pleasant and...

Interior is much improved. It feels more like an £80K car. Nope not BMW or Audi good but much better than the 10. Fixtures and fittings, roof lining (spent a bit of time in a traffic jam) and dials etc are higher quality. What is the carpet on the lower door cards though....really? No sunglass holder to rattle and I noticed the Sat Nav appears sharper. The Firmware and Map numbers are identical to the 11/12 update BUT the routing works much better. I have used the GT-R many times in London pre and post update but this gave much quicker traffic updates and found a significantly nicer route to North London.

Headlights Look great - drive other people nuts. Lots of flashing and gestures coming the other way....perhaps needs some angle alterations?

Seats Recaros appear wider and more comfortable than the older ones I have been in. Haven't done many miles in one but I could life with them day to day easily.

Engine Really different in character (obviously) to the 10 with better breathing. The mapping now pulls more smoothly and you appear to gather momentum rather than it being 'fast'. Oddly enough I am not sure I liked this as much though I can see why it appeals. It is akin to the difference between the old Civic Type R V-TEC step and the smoother cam transition - I preferred the old one as it had more of a sense of occasion. It felt much stronger than the 550 PS suggests but not as OMG as the Stage 4. Perhaps the noise added to that as it doesn't sound fast. It doesn't sound much at all and I shall but sending my thoughts to Nissan Japan begging for a warranty friendly Y Pipe/Sports Exhaust option as this would make the car even better.

Exterior It's a GT-R - black is too understated for me but the new lights freshen it up a bit but wheels have been on car since MY11 so would have liked to see them as part of a wider facelift (why need Z flash headlights and LEDs for instance?). Perhaps MY15 will finally see that bigger facelift (final?) version.

Brakes Progressive but as new didn't hit them hard. Suppose they will crack as they all do but felt more balanced than the MY10 even with the upgraded pads/disks I have. Obviously more rear bias and car 'dived' less under heavy braking.

Handling Obviously not able to give it the full beans but the turn in on roundabouts was significantly better than the MY10. It appeared to stick and go rather than wash wide (Bridgestones perhaps again?) but did feel more 'planted', heavier almost, but still fabulously balanced.

Conclusion A really 'grown up' GT-R. Could live with it day to day easily and it is most impressive jumping from the MYY0 to MY14 though the evolution over the preceding three years might make it less of a jump if you are already in a 12/13. It is obvious the GT is taking over from the R. Still very, very quick but much more capable all round. Oddly the bell housing rattled worse than my MY10 before it was replaced! The noises we know and love are all still there but more civilised. That is the word I would use to describe it - civilised but still with the thrill capability. I wish it made a better noise. It really does (and has always) let the car down badly. If you buy this yes you might want a good all rounder now but you still don't get the same wow as an M3/4, 911 etc. I will make this minor point to Nissan....again.

Would I buy one? Actually yes BUT I am thinking of waiting until I have driven the Nismo or wait for the MY15...

Many thanks to the team at Nissan London West - great to let me have the car and also for sorting the tyre fitting and alignment at such short notice prior to the tour - at least I will be able to cope with standing water!

A good detailed comparison, thanks for taking the time!
Old 30th April 2014, 08:11 PM   #262 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
Nice write up Rog.

The problem with the lights would really annoy me. Had something similar with my lady's mini countryman. Faulty sensor on the xenons so everybody thought we had full beam on all the time so lots of people flashing and gesticulating. That was found to be a fault in the end but I wonder if nissan can do anything about the angle of the beams?
Old 1st May 2014, 02:58 AM   #263 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Nice write up Rog

Old 18th May 2014, 08:09 PM   #264 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Cars owned: MY13 R8 V10 spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboGrove View Post
Nice write up Rog.

The problem with the lights would really annoy me. Had something similar with my lady's mini countryman. Faulty sensor on the xenons so everybody thought we had full beam on all the time so lots of people flashing and gesticulating. That was found to be a fault in the end but I wonder if nissan can do anything about the angle of the beams?
Solved this

Just turn the Adaptive Front Lighting System off.
Old 18th May 2014, 09:08 PM   #265 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNN View Post
Solved this

Just turn the Adaptive Front Lighting System off.
Or remove the GAYtime running light altogether !!! What is the world coming to when we need to have lights on in the DAYTIME

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 09:12 PM   #266 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Or remove the GAYtime running light altogether !!! What is the world coming to when we need to have lights on in the DAYTIME
Still fishing?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 09:13 PM   #267 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Oh yeah :-)

1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 18th May 2014, 10:04 PM   #268 (permalink)
FLYNN is worth it
Banned

Cars owned: MY13 R8 V10 spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thats not what it is Steve. Is the new LED lights they've put on the MY14. When AFL is on, they spread further out at speed so you can see more road, but result in dazzling oncoming cars.

If you had them on your old import it wouldn't matter though, because you would have slid off the road on the dodgy bridgestones before you got up to speed.
Old 18th May 2014, 10:22 PM   #269 (permalink)
G2GUV is Thinking about the next move
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR
Quote:
Thats not what it is Steve. Is the new LED lights they've put on the MY14. When AFL is on, they spread further out at speed so you can see more road, but result in dazzling oncoming cars.

If you had them on your old import it wouldn't matter though, because you would have slid off the road on the dodgy bridgestones before you got up to speed.

Old 18th May 2014, 10:38 PM   #270 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:

Mmmmmm, well going back to my original input = why the hell do we (YOU) need DLR's in the DAYTIME

Need to go to Spec Savers methinks !!!

Bridges still holding up well and as you know are far superior in this weather !!!

2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)