I'm now a GT-R owner, y-pipe to sort sound? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th February 2014, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
fred11 is back in black
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I'm now a GT-R owner, y-pipe to sort sound?

I decided to go for an ex demonstrator. Put a deposit down on a black MY2012 from WestWay Nissan in Oxford (anyone got experience driving it?). 3100 miles was registered in Jan 2013 (62 plate). Have yet to drive it since it had been retired as a demonstrator, was with flat battery and without tax. Should pick it up some time next week

But I did drive a track pack demonstrator at another dealer, which was my first time driving the GTR! I had several moments of "omg that's seriously fast", loved the acceleration and the car felt solid as a rock.

My only complaint is that the exhaust is too quiet. I don't want to void the warranty so I don't think a full exhaust is an option. The sales guy told me that a y-pipe doesn't void the warranty and that the ecu will adapt to work with it. Is that correct?

Am very excited and can't wait to pick it up
Old 26th February 2014, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
fred11 is back in black

Tried to post a photo but I've not got 15 posts... bit silly to be honest, never seen that on any other forum
Old 26th February 2014, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
Yep my car came ffrom the dealer with a Y pipe in it and warranty.

Russ fellows Y pipe job done.

Pic of my one, which is married with a full system and DPs.
Its got two small resonators to deal with motorway drone, and a silencer to keep the system legal on track.

Old 26th February 2014, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
fred11 is back in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja5on View Post
Yep my car came ffrom the dealer with a Y pipe in it and warranty.
The sales guy claimed that they're not allowed to do it. He even said that whenever they part exchange a car with a y-pipe they have to change it to stock before selling it and are forced to throw away the y-pipe. Sounds very silly to me
Old 26th February 2014, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ja5on is GTRless
Registered

Cars owned: Clio 182, EVO IX FQ MR360, Leon TDI FR. Now: R35 GT-R MY10 Gunmetal Premium
We'll my car came from Middlehurst with the Y pipe fitted by them for the previous owner.

I'd go with what middlehurst say over any other HPC
Old 26th February 2014, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
SamboGrove is Currently GTR-less
GTROC Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR, AUDI A3, R35 GTR (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred11 View Post
The sales guy claimed that they're not allowed to do it. He even said that whenever they part exchange a car with a y-pipe they have to change it to stock before selling it and are forced to throw away the y-pipe. Sounds very silly to me
Doesn't just sound silly. Sounds like bullsh1t to me!

I'd consider a full exhaust rather than just a y-pipe. I went just y-pipe first and within 6 months was at a full exhaust and lost money selling the y-pipe on. You know you'll be going stage IV + downpipes soon....it's compulsory around these parts
Old 26th February 2014, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hashlak is macking it out

Cars owned: GTR R35 - C63 AMG - MP4-12C - Range Vogue+Sport - GTCW12 - G55 AMG
Nice one fred !!

The car you bought sounds identical to mine.. Ex demo, 2012, 3,500 miles..

I agree, the stock sound is pretty lame lol.. I highly highly highly reccommend you take it straight to litchfield and go stage 1 which pretty much just consists of Y-pipe + ecu tune.. Make sure to mention you want the motorsport map and you NEED to get the TCM map also with super R mode !!

It will be like a completely different car i promise Anndd you will still have warranty for sure..
Old 27th February 2014, 02:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
The sales guy told me that a y-pipe doesn't void the warranty and that the ecu will adapt to work with it. Is that correct?

Yep. I fitted a Milltek non res Y pipe on mine, sounds great, apparently louder than some after market cat back systems because the stock rear silencers are quite loud and flow well. You won't be disappointed with just a Y pipe. And yes, no need for a remap, it's just a secondary cat delete, the main cats are still there. Really simple job, but a decent Y pipe is pretty expensive, mine was about £430.
Old 27th February 2014, 03:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashlak View Post
Nice one fred !!

The car you bought sounds identical to mine.. Ex demo, 2012, 3,500 miles..

I agree, the stock sound is pretty lame lol.. I highly highly highly reccommend you take it straight to litchfield and go stage 1 which pretty much just consists of Y-pipe + ecu tune.. Make sure to mention you want the motorsport map and you NEED to get the TCM map also with super R mode !!

It will be like a completely different car i promise Anndd you will still have warranty for sure..
That's interesting Hashlak, but doesn't a stage 1 give around 570 bhp? Stock is around 540, so can't feel that much different can it? I kept mine stock (apart from Y pipe) because I was scared by all the info about modding in the owners manual that they claim voids the warranty. If I was Nissan I wouldn't warranty modded cars either, to be fair.
Old 27th February 2014, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hmm i know what you mean.. I was a bit apprehensive at first too due to the warranty issue.. But i spoke to my dealership, they already knew about litchfield and had some higher power cars from litchfield that had warranty claims accepted so i was told that stage 1 and 2 are not serious upgrades and they will keep my warranty as long as something has not gone wrong with what litchfield has done.. And in all honesty thats good for me, because the guys at litchfield really know what they are doing (they know way more about the car than any dealership) and if something goes wrong you can always take it back..

Now regarding the difference in stage 1 to stock.. Its not just about the bhp.. The cars overall behaviour is completely changed when you go to stage one + V4 TCM map.. It almost feels like a stock GTR is a caged, shackled, stupid beast, and stage 1 + 2 allows you to unleash it properly, freeing the monster and giving it a more intelligence haha.. the other stages just take it to a next level

I can guarantee you that with the 99map + maximum boost level you will DEFINITILEY feel a massive difference in the power when you put your foot down all the way, and say to yourself holy s**t!! lol

The car seems to apply the power quite differently and with the new LTC system in the V4 map, it just doest feel so 'boring' anymore.. I always felt when it was stock, it just felt wayy too controlled all the time.. With MPSS tyres on stock, i tried everything to get the tail out on round abouts and just have a bit of fun, but it never let you have the right amount of control, if it did, you had to ether turn the traction OFF (which is really dangerous in this car) or you have to hit ridiculously unsafe speeds for that kind of maneuver lol..
Now you just set the traction to sport and plant your foot, the car comes out as it should, you dont even feel any traction control system, but it is being gently applied in the right places so you can drive it with much more control, have fun, but you still have the safety..

The TCM map really bring the DSG gearbox to life.. If you think your shifts are fast now, you have no clue how refined the gearbox feels after the upgrade.. It not only shifts 10x faster on super R mode but also responds better to your throttle in Auto mode.. There is not longer a huge delay when putting your foot down and the car holds the gears for longer too like it should.. Just feels like an Auto car should feel like, not some prototype lol.. Oh yea and the clunkyness of the gearbox is reduced quite a bit aswel

Anyway i can go on and on about how good the changes were but you gotta just go for it and you wont look back.. Car feels much more refined, and allows me to drive the way the want to.. Maybe my expectations are a bit higher, but before i got my GTR, i spent a month in Dubai, messing around in my brothers Mp4-12c, and the SLS we had before that.. So the GTR in its stock state was really disappointing in all honesty.. After i got it back from litchfield, i dont ever want to own either of those cars and im happy with my GTR

Last edited by Hashlak; 27th February 2014 at 08:07 AM..
Hashlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
fred11 is back in black

Hashlak that sounds brilliant! I'll no doubt be very tempted to do the same once I've got the car.
Old 27th February 2014, 08:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
fred11 is back in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
Yep. I fitted a Milltek non res Y pipe on mine, sounds great, apparently louder than some after market cat back systems because the stock rear silencers are quite loud and flow well. You won't be disappointed with just a Y pipe. And yes, no need for a remap, it's just a secondary cat delete, the main cats are still there. Really simple job, but a decent Y pipe is pretty expensive, mine was about £430.
Thanks for this, very useful info
Old 27th February 2014, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
a1whitey is enjoying the ride

Cheap mod for the big sound difference I found
Old 27th February 2014, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
lordretsudo is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: 2010 R35 GT-R Black Edition M16, 2012 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro Black Edition, 1998 Audi A4 1.8t
Mine came with a Middlehurst Y-pipe fitted so I can't really compare it to stock, but it's still very quiet IMO. Coming from a rather loud Scooby, the exhaust note is one of the worst things about the GT-R for me. I keep meaning to do something about changing the rest of the exhaust but am put off by the need to re-map.
Old 28th February 2014, 03:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Nice write up Hashlak

Lordretsudo, stock is very quiet compared to a Y pipe mod, perhaps yours is a resonated Y pipe, but like you say it's never gonna warble like a loud scooby lol.
Old 28th February 2014, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cardiff R33 is trying to resist mods
GT-RDC Member

I have a milltek y pipe in the for sale section
Old 28th February 2014, 11:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
besty is Not liking it white...
Registered

Cars owned: E34 M5, R35 Track Edition, previously UK R34
Quote:
I bought a new MY12 car from Middlehurst and they happily fitted a Miltek Y pipe and gave me the OEM part just in case I wanted to swap it back.
Old 28th February 2014, 01:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
barry P. is fed up with all the politics and back stabbing in car clubs!
New Users

Cars owned: GT-R R35, Evo IX GT, Evo II, Radical SR3, and a "Dancing Donkey".
Quote:
I decided to go for an ex demonstrator. Put a deposit down on a black MY2012 from WestWay Nissan in Oxford (anyone got experience driving it?). 3100 miles was registered in Jan 2013 (62 plate). Have yet to drive it since it had been retired as a demonstrator, was with flat battery and without tax. Should pick it up some time next week

But I did drive a track pack demonstrator at another dealer, which was my first time driving the GTR! I had several moments of "omg that's seriously fast", loved the acceleration and the car felt solid as a rock.

My only complaint is that the exhaust is too quiet. I don't want to void the warranty so I don't think a full exhaust is an option. The sales guy told me that a y-pipe doesn't void the warranty and that the ecu will adapt to work with it. Is that correct?

If you are in the Oxford area and want a Y pipe and it fitting contact Chris at AutoTorque as I know he has a second hand GTC Y pipe for sale. They are located between Bicester and Aylesbury, tel 01296658257

"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine."
barry P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 01:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
fred11 is back in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry P. View Post
If you are in the Oxford area and want a Y pipe and it fitting contact Chris at AutoTorque as I know he has a second hand GTC Y pipe for sale. They are located between Bicester and Aylesbury, tel 01296658257
thanks, am thinking about it -if warranty isn't void by a full system and ecu map I'd do that...

Think I'll get the car (picking it up in a weeks time) and then talk to Litchfield to get their view on it.
Old 28th February 2014, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yea best to get it, then speak to Iain at Litchfield about the warranty stuff.. Also when you take it there, they can do a full check up on the car and see how it has been driven by the previous owner..