GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Stage 4 and thinking of changing intercooler???? (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/244922-stage-4-thinking-changing-intercooler.html)

DODGY 10th March 2014 09:32 AM

Stage 4 and thinking of changing intercooler????

I'm going stage 4 soon and im thinking of extra bits to do while its in with not going too mad yet as i'm spending alot on my R34.

But thinking of changing intercooler at the same time as stage 4, is it worth doing now or just wait till i want to change turbos?

Just thinking it will work better with colder air going through the turbos?

Anyone any views on this??

Graham

Conrad 10th March 2014 09:47 AM

A cooler charge will always yield more power. I'm just in the process of doing my own stage 4 and will be upgrading the intercooler after it as well.

[email protected] 10th March 2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGY (Post 2563674)
I'm going stage 4 soon and im thinking of extra bits to do while its in with not going too mad yet as i'm spending alot on my R34.

But thinking of changing intercooler at the same time as stage 4, is it worth doing now or just wait till i want to change turbos?

Just thinking it will work better with colder air going through the turbos?

Anyone any views on this??

Graham

Check with your chosen tuner which intercooler they recommend / do your homework. some poor performing ic's out there worse than oem, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is

Donbona 10th March 2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2563810)
Check with your chosen tuner which intercooler they recommend / do your homework. some poor performing ic's out there worse than oem, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is

What would you recommend?

Conrad 10th March 2014 12:00 PM

Ben, whay have you found to be the best?

Adamantium 10th March 2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad (Post 2563706)
A cooler charge will always yield more power. I'm just in the process of doing my own stage 4 and will be upgrading the intercooler after it as well.

Not sure I agree with this conrad for a few reasons.

There is an optimal charge temperature for atomisation of fuel within the charge. Below and above this you can get incomplete combustion which costs you power.

In general it's true but other factors mean it's only a rule of thumb.

In addition it could mislead people into thinking they have all the facts needed for assessment. Anyone looking at an intercooler should make sure to look at the pressure drop across the core too.

You could find the most incredible temperature drop also has a pressure drop of 0.1 bar. That means for the boost outlet pressure the turbo has to supply an extra 0.1 bar.

If you have a turbo that is struggling already, the extra 0.1 bar may have a serious effect on compressor efficiency. That means the incoming air temperature could increase by much more than the temperature drop gains of what you perceive to be the "best" intercooler. The problem is primarily that the intercooler needs to be suited to the application and turbo choice of the car to which it is being fitted, rather than compared based on standardised bench testing.

To be fair, where the GT-R is concerned, if you are looking at standard staged upgrades and given the pretty small pool of turbos we generally choose from, generic advice on what's better or best is probably going to hold water, I just want people to make sure they have their eyes open when considering options.

Conrad 10th March 2014 01:40 PM

Adam, it was a generic question, perhaps I should of been more specific in terms of pressure drop, flow and cooling abillity. I am well of aware of intercooler designs and what works and doesnt being in the process control industry ;)

I would like to think that those pushing standard turbos to the limit on stage 4 cars would see an improvment in charge temperature with an aftermarket intercooler as we all know that turbos produce alot more heat when pushed outside of their comfort zone but I dont have hard facts as of yet.

I plan to log my car at stage 4 very shortly and will then see what difference we get when my chosen aftermarket intercooler has been fitted :)

I seem to recall you also switched from one make of aftermarket intercooler to another make of intercooler, why was that?

Adamantium 10th March 2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad (Post 2564242)
Adam, it was a generic question, perhaps I should of been more specific in terms of pressure drop, flow and cooling abillity. I am well of aware of intercooler designs and what works and doesnt being in the process control industry ;)

We both know that you know, I was making the point for others.

Adamantium 10th March 2014 02:15 PM

I haven't switched intercoolers yet.

Kabz r35 Gtr 10th March 2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamantium (Post 2564338)

Are you still running ur oem intercooler, what power is ur car running?

Adamantium 10th March 2014 04:03 PM

No, I'm running the forge intercooler and power is just shy of 800.

Kabz r35 Gtr 10th March 2014 04:22 PM

Ahh. Ok I miss read :)

Conrad 10th March 2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamantium (Post 2564330)
We both know that you know, I was making the point for others.

Point taken mon ami :)

Conrad 10th March 2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamantium (Post 2564338)

Oh sorry, I thought you had swapped over or purchased the same one as Jurgen...

Adamantium 10th March 2014 05:00 PM

Nooooo, not me.