A Needy Potential Owner - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th March 2014, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
englebert is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

A Needy Potential Owner

Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks for building a great forum - i've spent the last few days trawling through topics and have found it very informative. I am however seeking a bit of reassurance on a few things before i take the plunge.

Firstly, it's dispelling internet myth from reality! Generally speaking, are the cars reliable and how important is the Nissan warranty? Is it true that if you make ANY modifications it voids everything? As i'm prone to making a few tweaks, i don't want to pay extra for a car with warranty if it will be virtually useless to me. Running costs aren't an issue, but tips on problems/things (e.g. bell housing rattle?) to look out for would be greatly appreciated!

Also, i've been trying to find something definitive on model year changes. By browsing the forum, it seems 2012 was quite a step change. Is that true? And if so, how so?

Finally, it may sound strange but i've never test driven a car! I've always based my choices on the opinions of journalists and reputation. It's served me well so far, but i do want to find out how 'stiff' a GTR really is it's general habits are. As such, i want to go to a dealer and try one first - what's your experience of this? I'm quite a young guy, but also have a high pressure job, so taking time out of the office is difficult and i'd need to justify it, i.e. don't want some bellend sales person not letting me in the car!

Anyway guys, thanks in advance for any contributions you may have to help in my decision making
Old 27th March 2014, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
GlastoVeteran is 7.5 years in and counting
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Welcome

The cars are very reliable in general. Gearbox failures that people tend to hear about were limited to the first generation of cars that were only available in Japan. The bellhousing rattle can be an issue but it's covered by warranty and even if not Litchfield can sort it.

I don't have a warranty on my car at all and lots of people don't. Definitely don't go for the Nissan warranty at £2,600 a year as Litchfield do one for about £1,000 if you want the peace of mind.

The 2011 model year was the biggest change - power up from 485 to 530 BHP, better interior, better suspension, DRLs, new wheels etc.

You shouldn't have any problems getting a test drive on a Saturday so could you do that? Book in advance so there are no surprises. Different dealers will respond differently to younger people wanting a test drive so just be prepared to prove finances.
Old 27th March 2014, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
stealth46 is loving martial arts training
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R35, Impreza Turbo, Impreza STi
Welcome buddy. I bought my car used from a Nissan HPC so still have some warranty remaining but, as Glasto said, the cost of the warranty is very high so I'll be looking at a different warranty when mine runs out.

Whether you think of the GT-R as stiff really depends on what you've been used to. I came from an Impreza STi and the GT-R rides better than that did so no issue there.

If you find a car to test drive then best to call the seller first, especially if it's a Nissan HPC. Some are more accommodating than others regarding test drives. Do try and find the time though as they are stunning machines

Old 28th March 2014, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crafty_Blade is struggling with what mod to do next!
GT-RDC Member

Welcome, what part of the country you located?