GTR Forum banner

Anyone fitted a Tomtom?

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  paulmc 
#1 ·
I fitted a small Garmin via a Vent mount to the left of the steering wheel, but after trying a couple of different vent mounts, they just arnt much good.

I dont fancy anything stuck to the glass, so thinking to try a Tomtom with there vent mount system, ideally would like it to sit close to the dash and not stick out to much.

#6 ·
#5 ·
No worries mate. I've changed the tape once in the last two years and no issues. Not sure what tape it is, but it's white, thin foam - probably 3M something-or-other. I tried clips first but they made the nav stick out too much. The tomtom holder fits perfectly into the GTR round vent - like it was designed for it! I'm sure you could try Velcro if you were worried and there would be a way to "tie" one side around the blades of the vent to avoid anything sticky.
Haven't tried it that way but thought about it!

#7 ·
Fits very securely. Dropped off only once when I left it parked outside on a very hot day, but reattached once cooled. Because the holder fits inside the vent surround, the back of the unit is tight against it and so no jiggling even when jabbing the screen to enter addresses etc. As mentioned, not sure of the name of tape but nothing special - double-sided white foam tape that i got at local office supply shop - possibly 3m. You could use the stuff that holds on number plates also. Any possible residue can always be cleaned off the vents with a dab of petrol/white spirits/wd40 if you wanted to take it off eventually.
Model is Tomtom Start (10) I believe. Its an older model with the smaller squarish screen, so not sure if it's only available secondhand now. I've attached a (stock) picture showing the nav with the holder part that fits inside the vent surround.

Gadget Electronic device Technology Mobile phone Portable communications device

#8 ·
Fits very securely. Dropped off only once when I left it parked outside on a very hot day, but reattached once cooled. Because the holder fits inside the vent surround, the back of the unit is tight against it and so no jiggling even when jabbing the screen to enter addresses etc. As mentioned, not sure of the name of tape but nothing special - double-sided white foam tape that i got at local office supply shop - possibly 3m. You could use the stuff that holds on number plates also. Any possible residue can always be cleaned off the vents with a dab of petrol/white spirits/wd40 if you wanted to take it off eventually.
Model is Tomtom Start (10) I believe. Its an older model with the smaller squarish screen, so not sure if it's only available secondhand now. I've attached a (stock) picture showing the nav with the holder part that fits inside the vent surround.

View attachment 38193
thanks bud :D

#11 ·
are the speed cameras update-able bud?? and reliable? decent

#12 ·
That dosnt seem a bad little nav, and good to see there still available new, with the latest maps. So whats the thoughts on wide screen nav in the same position, fixed the same way? Too Big?

The Tomtoms are ideal as the power cord dosent stick out at the back like the Garmin

#16 ·
Wheres that bud? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.