Warning cobra tracker - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30th May 2014, 08:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
dominic1 is loving the LM20
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: rs4(b7) 205gti (1.9) bmw330d(dms remap) plus many more
Hope it all works out for you pal
Old 30th May 2014, 09:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Glgtr is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Does anyone else remember the gtr that caught on fire when the guy was taking his shopping out the back?
He apparently put in neutral and rolled it back before any damage to his house.

This feels a lot like that thread.
Half term, right?
Old 30th May 2014, 09:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
BigBen is BIG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly94 View Post
I've recently had my red GT-R stolen from my driveway in the middle of night around 3am the night of Monday the 12th/early morning Tuesday 13th this month.

By the time I've noticed it missing in the morning and called cobra it was too late as the tracker had been either ripped out or the car had been put in a secure unit where it couldn't be detected. I did not know that the cobra system only tracks the cars movements when alerted, not 24/7 and as Cobra were not alerted before it was too late, I now cannot find my car.

As I was not aware of this flaw in the Cobra Tracking System I thought maybe some others would not know of this problem, hence me sharing it here hoping it will help some others maybe decide to put an alternative tracker on the car that tracks movements 24/7. as I wish I had done.
Sorry mate but to call it a flaw is wrong. Firstly there was no need for them to rip the tracker out because they have the fob. The tracker is only alerted and Cobra informed IF the vehicle is moved with no contact to the FOB. There is no reason to track all vehicles in contact with the fob. Why should it? Car is talking to fob. Fob is with owner. Car hasn't been stolen. Alert sent to Cobra when car moves when not in contact with fob ie when its been nicked!

You are in the unfortunate position where they have the car, the fob and the key! Something that no tracking system in the world can save you from until you know its been nicked. In your case when you woke up several hours later to realise it gone. Giving them time to remove it.

Bottom line is keep the fob on your possession ie wallet and this wouldn't have happened. Or at least you would have known it was being nicked when it was being nicked and they could have tracked it.

Old 30th May 2014, 10:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
Sorry mate but to call it a flaw is wrong. Firstly there was no need for them to rip the tracker out because they have the fob. The tracker is only alerted and Cobra informed IF the vehicle is moved with no contact to the FOB. There is no reason to track all vehicles in contact with the fob. Why should it? Car is talking to fob. Fob is with owner. Car hasn't been stolen. Alert sent to Cobra when car moves when not in contact with fob ie when its been nicked!

You are in the unfortunate position where they have the car, the fob and the key! Something that no tracking system in the world can save you from until you know its been nicked. In your case when you woke up several hours later to realise it gone. Giving them time to remove it.

Bottom line is keep the fob on your possession ie wallet and this wouldn't have happened. Or at least you would have known it was being nicked when it was being nicked and they could have tracked it.
+1 +2

Simple as that, keep the key and fob in the same place, aka both in the wallet/purse = game over WHEN the wallet/purse is stolen , THE tracker thinks all is safe as the driver and keys are nice and safe TOGETHER
Old 30th May 2014, 11:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
A while ago I was using the insurance comparison sites for a quote and fiddling around with various options to see what affected the price. This is what I found:

a) Cheapest : Car parked in street overnight
b) Next cheapest : Cared in my drive overnight
c) Most expensive : Car parked in my garage overnight

Sounds stupid ? More expensive to garage your car than keep it on the road ? yes.

I asked on PH and the reply I got from someone who works in insurance was that since for modern cars the only way to steal it is to steal the key then;

a) If it's on the road it's not obvious where the owner lives so it's also not obvious where the key is

b) If it's on your drive it's very obvious where the key is

c) As b) but no one can see it being stolen as the thief is hidden from view in your garage

So the highest risk is to garage your car and the lowest risk it to park it on the road.

So for keeping your car in your garage you get penalised.
Old 30th May 2014, 11:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !

Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
The thing with a tracker is that the yearly cost is almost always more than you save in your insurance premium. So, for the privilege of paying more money in total you are reducing the risk to the insurance company. So it costs you to mitigate their risk. Good eh ?
Old 30th May 2014, 11:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
A while ago I was using the insurance comparison sites for a quote and fiddling around with various options to see what affected the price. This is what I found:

a) Cheapest : Car parked in street overnight
b) Next cheapest : Cared in my drive overnight
c) Most expensive : Car parked in my garage overnight

Sounds stupid ? More expensive to garage your car than keep it on the road ? yes.

I asked on PH and the reply I got from someone who works in insurance was that since for modern cars the only way to steal it is to steal the key then;

a) If it's on the road it's not obvious where the owner lives so it's also not obvious where the key is

b) If it's on your drive it's very obvious where the key is

c) As b) but no one can see it being stolen as the thief is hidden from view in your garage

So the highest risk is to garage your car and the lowest risk it to park it on the road.

So for keeping your car in your garage you get penalised.
never thought of it that way.. IF they need the keys... well. wowsers. you would have thought a garage would have been safer....

Last edited by Chronos; 30th May 2014 at 11:26 PM..
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 11:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
BigBen is BIG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
The thing with a tracker is that the yearly cost is almost always more than you save in your insurance premium. So, for the privilege of paying more money in total you are reducing the risk to the insurance company. So it costs you to mitigate their risk. Good eh ?
Maybe but without a tracker you wont get your supercar back.
Old 31st May 2014, 06:53 AM   #49 (permalink)
vxrcymru is a carbon fetishist
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR Stage 5 & Evo X FQ400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
never thought of it that way.. IF they need the keys... well. wowsers. you would have thought a garage would have been safer....
Arn't garages locked, i know mine is.
Keeping it off the street and in the garage reduces the risk of someone seeing the car and wanting to nick it. Its a clause in my insurance that i cant park the car within 500m of the house over night - it must be in the garage.
Black MY2010 Black Edition, Litchfield Stage 5 - Switzer P800 turbos, Litchfield suspension, Alcon 400mm front and 380mm back discs with Pagid pads, circlips, front and rear cameras, auto folding mirrors & lots of CF. Advan RSD wheels!
vxrcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 07:51 AM   #50 (permalink)
tinimark is making lots of noise
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35, Supercharged Elise 111r, BMW 220d, 335d, Golf R32..the list goes on
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxrcymru View Post
Its a clause in my insurance that i cant park the car within 500m of the house.
That sounds like a restraining order...bit harsh!
Old 31st May 2014, 08:22 AM   #51 (permalink)
vxrcymru is a carbon fetishist
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35 GTR Stage 5 & Evo X FQ400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinimark View Post
That sounds like a restraining order...bit harsh!
That's overnight but its not a problem for me personally, I always put the car in the garage when I'm home.

Basically its to stop people being lazy and not putting the car in the garage every night but maybe on the street.
Black MY2010 Black Edition, Litchfield Stage 5 - Switzer P800 turbos, Litchfield suspension, Alcon 400mm front and 380mm back discs with Pagid pads, circlips, front and rear cameras, auto folding mirrors & lots of CF. Advan RSD wheels!
vxrcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 12:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
andysukgtr is loving my built GTR :)

Really sorry to hear your car was stolen.
This thread made me check the two fobs I got with the car in March, both we're flat ie. no flashing led. New batteries in fobs this morning, all good now.
I hope you get the car back unscathed.

Last edited by andysukgtr; 31st May 2014 at 12:32 PM..
andysukgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 12:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
scoooby slayer is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysukgtr View Post
Really sorry to hear your car was stolen.
This thread made me check the two fobs I got with the car in March, both we're flat ie. no flashing led. New batteries in fobs this morning, all good now.
I hope you get the car back unscathed.

that makes no sense if your batteries were flat then cobra would have phoned you instantly unless you havnt driven the car since march ?

you have to pay a yearly subscription or the tracker will not be active.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
andysukgtr is loving my built GTR :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoooby slayer View Post
that makes no sense if your batteries were flat then cobra would have phoned you instantly unless you havnt driven the car since march ?

you have to pay a yearly subscription or the tracker will not be active.

Agree it doesnt make sense. The subscription is active until Mar h 2015...
Old 31st May 2014, 04:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysukgtr View Post
Agree it doesnt make sense. The subscription is active until Mar h 2015...
sounds like its not tracking/active, ring cobra to test it 02083 052 026
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:12 AM   #56 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Another reason why parking on the road gets cheaper insurance is apparently because a lot of people claim for damage after hitting their garage door frame or driveway gate post.

My quote this year was exactly the same with or without a tracker.