Tuned or untuned used GT-R market - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th June 2014, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rainman is just popping out for more milk.
GTROC Member

Tuned or untuned used GT-R market

Hi All,

I'm new on here but we've been lurking for a while now. Currently driving a 370Z GT Ultimate but fancy something a bit more practical and a little less underwhelming when I stick my boot down. I've been looking for an R35 for some time now and so far I've drawn a bit of a blank. There are plenty of cars out there but I've got a bit of an aversion to modified cars of any kind, and most of the cars in my budget all tend to be modified. I'm beginning think that instead of looking for an '09 or '10 I may as well extend my budget and look for '11 cars and also enjoy the longer service intervals.

I'm intending to use the car as a daily driver as when I'm working outside of London I'm not too far from home and when I'm working in London I use my motorbike (ZZR1400). My mileage gets pretty evenly distributed between my car and my bike, so probably only going to put 7K a year on it.

Should I be weary of tuned card for my intended use? Obviously hardly any 2 modified cars are the same so I know I'm possibly asking a pretty open ended question, but I think most will understand my concerns.
Old 10th June 2014, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
MattGTR750 is Lambo time
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

The cars should have come from the factory with the y pipe and stage 1 upgrade as it really increases performance and improves the sound so most cars for sale will have at least that. I can assure you if you buy a stock car you'll go stage 1/570R at least
Old 10th June 2014, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTR750 View Post
The cars should have come from the factory with the y pipe and stage 1 upgrade as it really increases performance and improves the sound so most cars for sale will have at least that. I can assure you if you buy a stock car you'll go stage 1/570R at least
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But you don't see any reason to avoid modified (stage 1 and 2) for use as a daily driver? My obvious concern is reliability with frequent use. Maybe my fears are based on old school tuning experiences and I shouldn't be too concerned so long as its had work from a reputable tuner.

Old 10th June 2014, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Stage 1 and 2 cars are within factory tolerences in my opinion.
That only takes you up to around 590bhp and they are now 550 standard.
Torque isn't too high either.
Plus it's just a map and exhaust so you are not actually playing with the engine, if you are wary of modifications.

Over stage 2 / 600bhp you have to accept that the car will have had a bit more "use" and this may long term affect the reliability a little.

GT-Rs tune pretty well and scare stories are few and far between.
That doesn't mean they don't happen though.

Personally I'd try to get an MY11 model car because they are nicer.
It was a big update, not just hte yearly servicing.
You get more downforce, a more modern front with DRLs, a better interior, better suspension and a few other things too.
That's the one to go for if you can afford it IMO.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
ikeysolomon is saying #supportthetechno
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Focus MK2 MP375, RRS SDV6, Mini Cooper SD
And IMHO I'd disagree with that, especially as I've owned your old MY10 Richard for the last couple of years.

I recently looked at buying a MY14 and couldn't see why I would change. I love the Stage 4, don't like DRL's, have done the Litchfield suspension change, have warrantied yearly service intervals and apart from nicer interior knobs don't thing the interior differs that much.

So all in all, I wouldn't shy away from a well tuned, looked after earlier car.

(and no, I'm not selling mine ;-)

Steve
Old 10th June 2014, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Takamo is Living the Dream... Alhumdulillah (thanks to God)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR and many many more!!!
I would personally agree with the first two guys, stage 1or 2 if you are gunna use it as a daily driver, less mods less to go wrong and also fuel consumption changes, I've found that since my stage one map it's got better on fuel and power and the Motorsport gearbox software is a must

Official Dealers of:
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser
Smartrack Trackers, Toad, Scorpion & Blackvue

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Takamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Thanks guys, I'll pay a bit more attention to stage 1 and 2 cars before dismissing them outright.
Old 10th June 2014, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Don't let anyone tell you the MY11 is not worth the jump from the earlier models, it absolutely is, more now than ever.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
Don't let anyone tell you the MY11 is not worth the jump from the earlier models, it absolutely is, more now than ever.
Unless you have an MY09 or MY10, in which case it's better.

I went from a stage 4 MY10 to a stage 2 MY11 and other than being a tiny bit slower it was a better car in many ways.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote