Cobb to Ecutek - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th June 2014, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pars911 is Stage 4 with downpipes
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cobb to Ecutek

Hi guys, I'm running a stage 4 with downpipes and I'm due a service in August. I fancy a little upgrade to go along with the service and was thinking about going from cobb access port to ecutek. Reason being that the cobb was with the car when I bought it and I wasn't really shown exactly how to get the most out of it. I've also heard of a few cool features on the ecutek that you can't get on the cobb such as rolling boost and adjustable revs when in launch control. Now I have a few questions:

1. How much am I looking at to swap from cobb to ecutek?

2. I'm located in Bristol so where are the best places to enquire?

3. Can I tranfer the custom maps from my cobb to ecutek or do I need to get a new custom map? (Ben from GTC did the maps for the previous owner).

4. Is it worth the hassle of upgrading or am I just trying to justify something that won't make much of a difference?

5. Is there anything else I haven't considered?

Sorry for so many questions but I've done a little research and it seems like a bit of a minefield so thought you guys may be able to point me in the right direction!

Cheers guys!
Old 28th June 2014, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member

Litchfield imports north of gloucester. Great reputation and ecutek masters. Ring them dont email.

I too have cobb and dont really know how to use it yet. I intend to plug it in and figure it out though. With mine, the nis006 you can adjust launch rpm. There also seems to have been a number of other things released for the cobb, such as protections and warnings.

If you do it, you should hwve it custom mapped. The cobb maps wont transfer. Whilst there are base maps for the ecutek, you should get it custom mapped. Did I mention you should get it custom mapped?

As to do it or not, well thats upto you. I would investigate your cobb first. If its smooth enough for you then I would seriously question the change.
Old 28th June 2014, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
ACspeedtech is getting bigger and faster!
GTR Register Trader

Morning,

Price is fixed by EcuTek but you're looking around 750 for ECU and TCU remap, you'll be able to de-install your Cobb unit before the EcuTek map and have that available to sell onwards afterwards.
None of the maps or settings are transferable, totally different software engineering and package. I've had a fair few customers swap over and to be honest, all have been happy they made the jump. I believe Cobb are working on a major upgrade, but the subtle changes in the smooth running of the car on EcuTek currently win people over plus the added features and adjustability are great.
As a tuner I find the tools offered by the EcuTek package enable me to create a better end product currently, I still tune Cobb however and look forward to seeing how they step up to the challenge next.

Email us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit us at: ACspeedtech, 3C Trident Ind.Park, Birchwood, WA3 6AX.

EcuTek MASTER Tuner - COBB PROtuner - 6T9 - KW suspension - SuperPro Bushes - OZ Racing - Millers Oils - AP Racing - Arai Helmets - Corbeau Seats - Luke Harnesses
ACspeedtech custom GR6 gearbox upgrades - GR6 transmission repairs and solutions
I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
ACspeedtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th June 2014, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr mart View Post
Litchfield imports north of gloucester. Great reputation and ecutek masters. Ring them dont email.

I too have cobb and dont really know how to use it yet. I intend to plug it in and figure it out though. With mine, the nis006 you can adjust launch rpm. There also seems to have been a number of other things released for the cobb, such as protections and warnings.

If you do it, you should hwve it custom mapped. The cobb maps wont transfer. Whilst there are base maps for the ecutek, you should get it custom mapped. Did I mention you should get it custom mapped?

As to do it or not, well thats upto you. I would investigate your cobb first. If its smooth enough for you then I would seriously question the change.
Thanks for the advice, I was doing some internet trolling last night and did see that there were some updates on the cobb! I've got the older one with the small screen, I've updated it and I've looked everywhere on there to see what else it can do and it seems like the previous owner had got everything out of it as possible. As for custom maps I love the maps that Ben at GTC did for the previous owner and despite not experiecing another custom map I can't knock his reputation so if I were to switch a custom map is a must.
If say I went to litchfield for the swap over could I get Ben to do a custom map? Or would I need to take the car to him?
Old 28th June 2014, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
goRt is busy making lists
GT-RDC Member

Location: North Hampshire - Andover / Basingstoke / Winchester
Cars owned: 3*DBA, Elise SC, Golf Mk6r, MY10, 2*Golf R32, e46 M3, STI9 scooby, lots of other scoobies, 205 GTI, MG Maestro, Metro turbo
ECUTEK supports remote tuning
Old 28th June 2014, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I think you could get Ben to map it as Gort says, but to be honest Litchfield have a good rep for safe reliable tuning. I would get Litchfield to map aswell, the plus point being if you get a problem afterwards you have one point of accountability for it.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Russ83 is 650r :)
GTROC Member

My car is currently at litchfield having the latest ecutek software installed. I too am on stage 4 with down pipes and have been on the Cobb nis06 for the last couple of years. It has been great but seems Ecutek have raised the game somewhat. Will let you know my thoughts when I get the car back
2009 DMG R35 Premium Edition - GTC Titan 90mm exhaust, GTC Titan Y-Pipe, Catless heat wrapped downpipes, GTC 80mm intakes with K&N Filters, GTC aluminium suction pipes, ID 1000 Fuel Injectors, GFB Blow off valves, Ecutek Racerom v4, LC5, 4 rear light kit, Dynamat to boot and rear seats
Russ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Firestarter is #nemesis_gtr
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R
When I bought my GT-R its had a stage 1 map done by Litchfields. During the 48 month service Sly @ Kaizer fitted downpipes larger intakes and upgraded to the EcuTek V4 s/w....4 switchable maps...95 (pop bang map) hilarious fun and bangs and pops like crazy...97 (for 97 fuel) 99 (for 99 fuel) 100 (same as 99 but with traction control totally disabled)

I mainly drive in the 99 map, but when I want a bit of fun I simply use the cruise button to select the 95 map and pops, bangs, flames galore!!!

Cheers

Louie
Old 28th June 2014, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ83 View Post
My car is currently at litchfield having the latest ecutek software installed. I too am on stage 4 with down pipes and have been on the Cobb nis06 for the last couple of years. It has been great but seems Ecutek have raised the game somewhat. Will let you know my thoughts when I get the car back
Yeh I would be really interested to find out your opinion on the ecutek! I think litchfield would be the most obvious place to get it done as it's not to far away and everyone always raves about them on here!
Old 28th June 2014, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
[email protected] is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: GTC R35 GTR, R34, R33, R32
everyone is different, some owners would be very happy on Cobb tune as it sounds you are. But having used both heavily, the EcuTeK is ahead in features. Many owners making the switch feel its worth it for the smoother shifts, advanced traction control, rolling boost is great fun, tcm tuning and custom maps for safety trips.

Litchfield would set you up great if you wanted to stay local, or you could come down south to us local dyno, or i can easily remote tune. there is nothing which needs to be carried over from current cobb tune to a new ecutek tune, its best to start fresh.
Old 28th June 2014, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Firestarter is #nemesis_gtr
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R35 GT-R
Your spitting distance from Litchfield's....or you have SVM in Telford....your spoilt for choice!!!!

Cheers
Louie
Old 28th June 2014, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
everyone is different, some owners would be very happy on Cobb tune as it sounds you are. But having used both heavily, the EcuTeK is ahead in features. Many owners making the switch feel its worth it for the smoother shifts, advanced traction control, rolling boost is great fun, tcm tuning and custom maps for safety trips.

Litchfield would set you up great if you wanted to stay local, or you could come down south to us local dyno, or i can easily remote tune. there is nothing which needs to be carried over from current cobb tune to a new ecutek tune, its best to start fresh.
Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the cobb but I think had I been the previous owner I think I would have chose the ecutek. I'm super happy with the map that's on the car, I just think I few extra gimmicks will keep me happy for the future!
Old 28th June 2014, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars911 View Post
Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the cobb but I think had I been the previous owner I think I would have chose the ecutek. I'm super happy with the map that's on the car, I just think I few extra gimmicks will keep me happy for the future!
All the gimmicks as you call them are available very very soon with Cobb
(end of Month)
You will save £££££££s and still have a device that is easy to use and Your's!!

SVM now offer In house tunes as we are a Pro Cobb Tuner Status.

Put us to the test with all the latest cobb revisions.

Why spend over £1000 to swap? Madness if you have Cobb get the very best additions from SVM, Pls call for details and costing.

KK

Kev@SVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

The only thing that tempts me to switch is the smoothness. I run ID1000 injectors and between 2 and 3k rpm there is the typical cobb/ID hessitation. I believe moving to ecutek could help with this.
Old 28th June 2014, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr mart View Post
The only thing that tempts me to switch is the smoothness. I run ID1000 injectors and between 2 and 3k rpm there is the typical cobb/ID hessitation. I believe moving to ecutek could help with this.
There will be no difference between Cobb and Ecutek we are able to provide Both! (I have cars running Both No issues)
As long as your mechanical items are in good order EG Injectors/air filters
there is no reason what so ever,why you should associate your issue with the
chosen platform..Lets have a look and see what we can offer you..

How about Money back guarantee?..cant say fairer than that

I am not in the habit of swapping platforms just to offer a latest map
They all Offer "Latest maps", so save your Money and come to someone that will genuinely give you the best possible advice
there is to much BS out there IMO , sorry to be so abrupt but i see this on a daily basis...

All of you get the Latest maps on Cobb or Ecutek and you will notice differences for sure! Also pick a Tuner that will give unbiased assessment
on All Platforms...

Only yesterday had a GTR in, complaining about Ecutek.(similar symptom).. It was Only Pesky foam airfilter crushed + Holes

Don't Jump to conclusion,(and spend 1k) lets see what you have got, then You decide! and publicly post No sweat Lol

Phone us Monday 01952 583917

Regards KK

KK

Last edited by [email protected]; 28th June 2014 at 07:36 PM..
Old 28th June 2014, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
So Cobb are finally catching up? That's great news, only a year too late with no proof of the gain. I very much suspect ecutek will leap even further forward before Cobb release this "upgrade".

How about supporting a nice uk company like ecutek?

Don't listen to kev, it isn't anything like £1000. More like £550 for engine and £200 for gearbox, and you don't have to do both.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 07:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Cobb catching up LOL "WRH's"

We Do support Ecutek!! My Qashqai runs it The point I am making is why spend £700 +vat on Licence keys
and more on bespoke tune, when you already have a perfectly good format. As for not being Proven I think that takes the biscuit lol
Cobb are Current World Champs with there Traction Control system on test Everyone to there own maybe you want pops and bangs?

More to the Point If your Ecutek has to be removed ..Its Gone!!! If your Cobb is removed it can be sold (It's Yours)

I am of the opinion not to swap just to get a profit ...If you are on Ecutek Stay on it and vise /versa

Don't Listen to Adam he is biased it isnt his Money,is it! He should of retired from shouting LOl
his opinion without not trying SVM.
As said Save your money, and just have a inspection and Tune, If i can't do No charge
Win Win

kk

Last edited by [email protected]; 28th June 2014 at 07:57 PM..
Old 28th June 2014, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
MattGTR750 is Lambo time

I find Cobb way more user friendly ... I don't want to carry a laptop in the car like you have to with ecutek...

Looking forward to switching over from ecutek to Cobb!
Old 28th June 2014, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTR750 View Post
I find Cobb way more user friendly ... I don't want to carry a laptop in the car like you have to with ecutek...

Looking forward to switching over from ecutek to Cobb!
Many are saying the same, It is a personal choice in preference
To suggest one car is at fault or has an issue due to a platform is wrong.

Tunes and Tuners all over are progressing and it is the way they aply there skills onto the cars through the tools they use....We make em fast reliable and use all Formats currently available in the UK..It is The owners choice to stick or twist.

I am pointing out, Once onto Ecutek your investment can be lost If you decide to change suit Unlike Cobb which can be uninstalled and sold
This Guy is on Cobb! so it worth a look at his tune, and then he can hold the cards so to speak

In the same way if he were on Ecutek I would suggest he give it another go before he looses his Money..In Your case Matt You have made your own opinion and reasons after trying both!

As said I am not in the habit of ditching formats just to make extra money
(either way)

KK

Last edited by [email protected]; 28th June 2014 at 08:44 PM..
Old 28th June 2014, 09:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
G2GUV is Thinking about the next move
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR
I have had both!

I jumped ship from Cobb to Ecutek - mainly for the pop & bang map!

Other features like rolling boost, atc etc were just awesome extras.

It cost me around £1000!

I had 2 issues with my previous car. One whilst on cobb and the other on ecutek! Take it from me that with a Cobb device in the car - problems are much easier to deal with!!! On ecutek - i had to find my laptop - my CHARGED laptop to even identify the issue! Not good when you are 50 miles away from home!!!

My current car is on Ecutek and is currently with Sly @ Kaiser Motors having the latest V4 update. I am happy with it - but lets see what cobb brings in the latest updates? If Cobb become feature rich like ecutek - i will be speaking to a few people to see if I can land a goid deal on a Cobb AP! I always loved the thought of having a handheld device ALWAYS in the glovebox.

However - i do suspect that once cobb release these 'catch up' updates - ecutek will most likely move the game further forward! I could be wrong…