www.kakimotoracing.co.jp Any good? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12th October 2004, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
240K-GT is unaware they can edit their status

Question www.kakimotoracing.co.jp Any good?

Hi, I have started to look into more products for my car ready for next year. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiance from products from the above mentioned shop. I know I cant directly relate stuff as you lot will be using RB26 stuff and I'm using L6 stuff, but can get an idea on quality.

Im looking at items like forged con-rods (£610) and the K-cam's (£650).

Also if anyone has any more links to tuning shops in japan that deal with L6 stuff I will be happy.
Im looking towards the 500BHP mark but not to exact. Might think about using an L28 block but with my short stroke parts. Will be around a 2.6L then.

Thanks Will
Old 12th October 2004, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just been on Tomei website their cams are like £250 Cheaper than the K-Cam's and that price inc an adjustable cam gear. The spec being a 270deg Duration, 8.3mm cam lift (12mm valve lift) 110deg Lobe center angle. Its the only one on their site thay say it's for a Turbo/Injection the rest are carb cam's.

Looks like a Tomei Cam will be going in instead.
Any one got an OS Giken (Think it was them that made them?) 24v head they can donate to me? Kind of dont have a spare £30K to spend on one my self (If I could even find one that is)

Will
Old 12th October 2004, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Demon Dave is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: BNR34
Kakimoto

I can only comment on their exhaust systems, which I'm using at the mo. Very well made, superb quality. Sounds and looks great. Bit on the expensive side though - which is why I'm glad it was on my car when I got it

Old 12th October 2004, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
zbloke is More laid back than a laid back thing
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R33 GT-R V-Spec
Thumbs up

Will,

Go to the Pitroad Motorsport site and click on "L engine catalog" on the left of the page for lots of nice L6 stuff,

Tim
Old 12th October 2004, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
PS30-SB is having a nice cup of tea

Cars owned: Genuine HS30-H x 2, HLS30, Replica PS30-SB project, genuine KPGC10.
Will,
You will see that most of the L-gata parts on the Pit Road site are actually manufactured or supplied by Kameari Engine Works.

I have a long history with Kameari, and have supplied their parts for quite a few cars in Europe and the UK. If there is anything you want from them, let me know.

But I think you are still a long way from deciding on the exact spec of your engine, aren't you? I don't think you need to consider aftermarket con rods at over £600 a set retail in Japan ( add on shipping and VAT / duty to get a proper fright ). You can build something pretty potent from a combination of secondhand stock Nissan components which you can source here in the UK.

I wouldn't go buying an aftermarket cam until you have all your other components and specs finalised ( especially the head ). If you are going turbo then an aftermarket cam will be largely unnecessary; the stock turbo cam will suffice for most applications ( I have a couple of virtually new ones which you are welcome to have ).

I don't want to be rude, but you do need to think about the rest of your car and not just the engine. You are talking about building something with enough power to kill your stock R180 diff and / or driveshafts with your first hard launch even on street tyres. Brakes and suspension also need to be considered. That 25-odd year old body also needs to be in top top shape ( the car, that is.... ).

At the risk of sounding like a miserable old git, I have to say that you MUST try to pin down a plan for the exact engine spec before you go buying parts here there and everywhere and expect them to work well together. Having been there and pretty much done that, I can tell you that making these old cars go fast is NOT a cheap business. You could drop in an RB much more cost-effectively.

I think your aim of 500bhp from the L6 is going to cost you an absolute fortune and an awful lot of time. I would aim at a more achievable 300 to 350 if I were you. This would probably be quite sufficient to make your bodyshell require some serious repair within a short period ( to stop your windows falling out ).

Cheers,
Alan T.
Old 12th October 2004, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
zbloke is More laid back than a laid back thing

Cars owned: R33 GT-R V-Spec
Will,

AlanT speaks the truth and tells it how it really is you'd be well advised to listen to his words, he can be a bit Satirical but what he don't know about old Jap sports cars aint worth knowing and I could Count the number of times I've seen him post something inaccurate on the fingers of no hands,

Tim
Old 12th October 2004, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unhappy My Head hurts :'(

Yea I know of Pitroad, like the look of their suspension parts, using R31 struts, coilovers and R32 calipers.

OK, will try and list what i have planed for the car:
T4E turbo with a P trim exhaust wheel.
Either use my engine or perhaps an L28 with my size rods and crank to get shorter stroke.
RB25DET Gearbox.
I already got an F-Con fuel computer if no good, I will build a diy one (Megasuirt II)
I know I need an R200 diff but that's easy to put on, also I think Pitroad sell adaptor moustache bars to fit an R200 inplace of an R180 with out cutting yours, also I know I have to change the half shafts.
Will be using 3 double dcoe type throttle bodies, with a HKS turbo surge tank.

Got all the intercooler junk ready.
Got 310mm brakes ready bar the 4pot Wilwood Superlight forged alloy calipers.
Will build strut braces, and prob have some support on the front and rear bulkheads on the car.
Cant realy think of anything else, but theres prob somthing else, O i have the E88 head btw.

I know a standard L28 will take about 300HP, but I want somthing a bit more. I dont realy want it for drag racing but more for high speed runs etc.
Also I know it would be cheaper, better, more powerfull, etc etc to use one of the RB engine but thats no fun and cheating (like NOS)

Will