GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   ECUtek ROM v4 (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/294385-ecutek-rom-v4.html)

tinimark 5th September 2014 01:03 PM

ECUtek ROM v4

Afternoon all,

It's been a while so I thought I'd make a quick post about ECUtek ROM.

Since having v4 installed by ACSpeedtech it really has made a big difference to the way the car drives and the new toys (rolling launch etc) are great fun.

I have an idea to improve usability and thought I'd run it past you all to see what you think. Also, I'm aware the ECUtek guys come on the forum from time to time so it might give some inspiration.

This would be quite easy to implement, not too technical.

Currently, I have 4 maps installed and to change maps you have to hold the CANCEL button on the steering wheel for 2 seconds, change map with the cruise control adjust button and then wait about 2 - 3 more seconds for the map to engage.

It would be much quicker to make it so that just a quick press of the cancel button put it in to "map change mode" select the desired map and then press CANCEL again to engage the map. I can't ever recall accidentally pressing the CANCEL button and even if you did it wouldn't change maps by itself.

With rolling boost you have to first select the correct map which has the feature enabled, put the car in to cruise control and set speed, floor the accelerator and then press CANCEL to unleash the beast.

Wouldn't it be better if by pressing and holding the cancel button at the desired speed then floor it and release CANCEL to go without going in to cruise control? I think this would give much more control of the feature and allow users to take advantage at very short notice. It would also mean that "normal" cruise control would not be affected (so you can accelerate as normal in cruise).

What do you all think?

Johnny G 5th September 2014 01:20 PM

Can't say it bothers me in the slightest, to be honest.

tinimark 5th September 2014 01:43 PM

I wouldn't go as far to say that it really bothers me but here's a scenario....

Driving down the A30 on the way home in normal cruise control and an M5 wants to have a play. I decide he needs a few flames so change to pops and bangs map. Then after a little while he pulls up beside and I fancy some rolling boost action which means changing the map again, engaging cruise and setting speed etc.

With the tweaks I mentioned above all of this could be done in one map at a fraction of the time.

Those extra few seconds in the heat of the moment and less fiddling around would make all the difference I think.

Johnny G 5th September 2014 01:51 PM

Being brutal, that's more you than the setup.

I leave mine in full power mode all the time. When there's nothing around, then I play with pops and bangs, mainly in tunnels. Then I go to full power again.

tinimark 5th September 2014 02:00 PM

Not really complaining about the setup, just think it could be improved with regards to map changing and rolling boost.

Do you have rolling boost feature enabled on your full power map?

Johnny G 5th September 2014 02:23 PM

Yep. I have four maps. 95, 97, 99, 100.
99 and 100 are the same, except 100 has no addons.

tinimark 5th September 2014 02:28 PM

I see, but if you have RB enabled on all maps then you can't really use cruise control in the normal way ie. if you accelerate with the pedal then nothing happens except building boost.

On mine I have a full power map and a full power map with RB.

With my suggestion, you wouldn't need an extra map just for RB feature.

Johnny G 5th September 2014 02:46 PM

I have my RB to only kick in when suspension is in Race, on all maps except 100.

tinimark 5th September 2014 03:15 PM

So, not only do you need to be in the right map but you also have to be in race mode and if you ARE in race mode then you can't use normal cruise control unless you're running 100 fuel?

That would definitely bother me!

Stealth69 5th September 2014 04:57 PM

Mommy's setup is far easier and better.... drive on full power but comfort mode all the time an if you feel you need to scuttle.off quickly you simply put suspension in r instead of changing maps simples

tinimark 5th September 2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth69 (Post 3128129)
Mommy's setup is far easier and better.... drive on full power but comfort mode all the time an if you feel you need to scuttle.off quickly you simply put suspension in r instead of changing maps simples

I hear what you're saying but with the tweaks i'm suggesting, you wouldn't need to engage R mode to use RB and you wouldn't be restricted to using cruise control ONLY in comfort mode and you wouldn't have to change maps either.

ie. All maps have RB enabled and to use it just press and hold CANCEL, floor it and release.

...even more simples!

Johnny G 5th September 2014 05:38 PM

I can count on a leppers hand how many times I've actually used RB. It's for bigger turbos. For stock, it's cool, but a waste of time IMO.

thistle 5th September 2014 08:40 PM

The way I coded it for Cobb I still like. Hit cancel and as soon as you like hit up or down and the map changes instantly. Never accidentally made a selection, but people like user interfaces done differently.

tinimark 5th September 2014 09:08 PM

Didn't even know Cobb maps could be swapped on the fly. Is that a newish thing?

thistle 5th September 2014 09:28 PM

4 years old. It isn't trendy to like Cobb on this forum since I stopped working for them 3 years ago, because new developments have lagged behind Ecutek, but it is still a powerful platform. It sounds like they are testing rolling boost and engine protection maps. Traction control would be nice for the more powerful cars I think, but launch aside, R mode suits my car.

tinimark 6th September 2014 07:55 AM

I was on Cobb to start with about a year ago and now you mention it, I do reminder being able to switch maps but can't recall the process now. No doubt Cobb will come back with updates for their platform and will be interesting to see if they have made any new innovations.

I'm not sure how much control the tuners get in terms of being able to decide how the user interfaces work but they must have some amount of control to be able to decide if certain features are available if a switch is in R mode or not.

I saw not long ago a module that allowed the R switches to remember their last known position. Since 90% of the time I drive in RRR I think this is a nice idea but now I'm wondering if this could be done via the ECU rather than having to buy quite an expensive but simple circuit board.

thistle 6th September 2014 09:17 AM

So far no one has flashed the suspension and VDC modules. So you would have to get the TCM or ECM to switch them. If the switches transmit over CAN bus that should be possible to code. If the suspension and VDC switches are wired to their modules then it needs the circuit board. Wiring diagrams would test feasibility.