How bad are bridgestones - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18th September 2014, 01:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Bridgestone and Dunlop OEM tyres are more expensive than MPSS for a reason - they're better.

MPSS are about 25% cheaper, and last about 60% longer because they're made of harder rubber, a trade mark of Michelin. Harder compound usually equates to less grip.

Yes MPSS ride softer and squidgier, but who buys a GT-R to have a soft ride?

They understeer and float at high speed, have very similar grip in the wet but less grip in the dry. They generally make the drive feel more like a Mondeo than a GT-R.

A blowout is extremely unlikely and rare, but if it happens on Bridgestones or Dunlops you're pretty much safe, if you're running MPSS it's pot luck as to whether you'll stay on the road or not.

For the extra 300 quid or so per set, it's stock tyres all day long for me. Just had a set of Dunlops fitted yesterday for £1175, that's a couple hundred quid less than Litch charge for inferior MPSS. The garage I used supplies and fits MPSS 285 square for £900.

Each to their own of course
Old 18th September 2014, 06:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
bobbie is Stage 1
Registered

Cars owned: 2010 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
Bridgestone and Dunlop OEM tyres are more expensive than MPSS for a reason - they're better.

MPSS are about 25% cheaper, and last about 60% longer because they're made of harder rubber, a trade mark of Michelin. Harder compound usually equates to less grip.

They understeer and float at high speed, have very similar grip in the wet but less grip in the dry. They generally make the drive feel more like a Mondeo than a GT-R.

A blowout is extremely unlikely and rare, but if it happens on Bridgestones or Dunlops you're pretty much safe, if you're running MPSS it's pot luck as to whether you'll stay on the road or not.

For the extra 300 quid or so per set, it's stock tyres all day long for me. Just had a set of Dunlops fitted yesterday for £1175, that's a couple hundred quid less than Litch charge for inferior MPSS. The garage I used supplies and fits MPSS 285 square for £900.

Hear Hear

Bobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 06:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
goRt is busy making lists
GT-RDC Member

Location: North Hampshire - Andover / Basingstoke / Winchester
Cars owned: 3*DBA, Elise SC, Golf Mk6r, MY10, 2*Golf R32, e46 M3, STI9 scooby, lots of other scoobies, 205 GTI, MG Maestro, Metro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hear hear AND have you ever heard of a French car using Bridgestones ??

Jap cars should have Jap tyres !!! Full Stop, as the Yanks say - Period !!!
Steve, as I've asked before, what do you mean map car:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault–Nissan_Alliance

Therefore French tyres on a part French car is totally acceptable especially given the improvement the MPSSs bring!

Old 18th September 2014, 05:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Steve
Have you ever driven or been passenger in an R35 which isn't on bridgestones and if so what did you think? Also is your gear box running in it the same grade of oil Mr Nissan sent it out of the factory with or have you replaced with something else like a lot of us have because its better than the oil Mr Nissan put in it. Sometimes change is good. Lol
Oil don't kill you when it blows out or falls off the Rim. Nissan specifically requested a run flat tyre for the car - I wonder why?

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 05:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crafty_Blade is struggling with what mod to do next!
GT-RDC Member

Quote:

Just had a set of Dunlops fitted yesterday for £1175...
Trev, where did you get the Dunlops at that price? I'm in need of changing mine this week
Old 18th September 2014, 05:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
A good test would be the same car on the 2 different sets of tyres driven by a pro driver. I suspect the Bridgestones would win the vote tho as Nissan have tried various tyres out already
Old 18th September 2014, 05:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

Quote:

Oil don't kill you when it blows out or falls off the Rim. Nissan specifically requested a run flat tyre for the car - I wonder why?
So how come they went with dunlops on the later cars, then again a further dunlop revision on the my14 & nismo etc.
Old 18th September 2014, 08:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Cat is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:

They fitted a run flat cause it doesn't have a spare. No other reason. Simple as that !!!
Old 18th September 2014, 08:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
DEFIKS is great crack ;)

Quote:

AMEN!!! I would not put this better mate!!!

I bought set of OEM RE070 for 1087 GBP with delivery to my door.

Cheers.
Old 18th September 2014, 08:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
DEFIKS is great crack ;)

Quote:
They fitted a run flat cause it doesn't have a spare. No other reason. Simple as that !!!
first of all it's stronger reinforced tyre to do the job...
Old 18th September 2014, 08:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
DEFIKS is great crack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
So how come they went with dunlops on the later cars, then again a further dunlop revision on the my14 & nismo etc.
it this a serious question???

Last edited by DEFIKS; 18th September 2014 at 08:38 PM..
DEFIKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 08:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Nedzilla is unaware they can edit their status

They use runflats because,as is the case with most cars with huge and different size rims there is no room for a spare.

IIRC the mpss has a higher load/speed rating than the bridgestone anyway.
104Y XL - 100Y
Old 18th September 2014, 08:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFIKS View Post
first of all it's stronger reinforced tyre to do the job...
That's exactly my point. The main point of that reinforced side wall is so you can drive on at 30 mph for up to 50 miles with no air in the tyre. The better handling (or not ) is a side product of the stiffer sidewall. I wonder if Mr Nissan would have fitted these had the car been able to carry a spare wheel????
Old 18th September 2014, 09:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
DEFIKS is great crack ;)

Quote:
That's exactly my point. The main point of that reinforced side wall is so you can drive on at 30 mph for up to 50 miles with no air in the tyre. The better handling (or not ) is a side product of the stiffer sidewall. I wonder if Mr Nissan would have fitted these had the car been able to carry a spare wheel????
I think there is more then that as the car is also heavy and it gives it more stability at high speed so it's more safe as well. On my Evo I had road legal proper tarmac rally tyres which where cut to my request and they were so noisy and hard and hash and so on...you named it but the performance was simply another story...I'm not looking for a compromise and comfort, but for performance to not make excuses but to be honest GT-R in comfort mode comparing to my Evo is just so nice and soft and quite, even my wife likes it now as I use it as every day car and I can even listen to the music and talk on the phone...just a limo for me even on the RE070s...
Old 18th September 2014, 09:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

Let's face it Mr Nissan isn't stupid. He wants to make as much money as he can out of each R35 he makes. He's not going to do this by fitting the most expensive tyre he can find. Not Fitting a spare wheel saves weight and money and let's face it he knew there was no space from the start. What he also didn't want was the driver to be stuck on the side of the road for something as simple as a flat tyre and passing motorists thinking 'ha another broken down GTR'. So he had to fit , let's say a Stiff Tyre so the owner can get to a safe location or garage. There are heavier fast cars that don't have these fitted and as already posted other alternatives have better loading abilitys for less money. I'll be taking my runflats off as soon as their worn out. I'm not kidding myself as to why Mr Nissan fitted them !!

Last edited by The Cat; 18th September 2014 at 10:05 PM..
The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 11:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFIKS View Post
it this a serious question???
Yes it was, in comparison to the bridgestones (not mpss).
As bridgestones were oem on CBA cars and then it was changed to dunlops on DBA cars.

When the power hiked up on DBA cars and 0-60 time dropped, was it possibly partly due to better dry grip from the dunlops as opposed to bridgestones?
Old 19th September 2014, 12:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Turbotwo is ridiculous.

Cars owned: GTR,Clio Williams,434TT Chevy mini,Turbo2.
Not all OEM decisions regarding specification and development of parts is always optimum,best or ideal for a particular platform including GTR (or any other for that matter).You`d be surprised (occasionally appalled) at the politics/compromise/poor management decisions that sometimes go on behind the scenes of what most enthuisiastc car owners might tend,reasonably ,to assume is a process of uncompromised engineering practice.
Old 19th September 2014, 01:31 AM   #38 (permalink)
JasonNT is lovin his mota!

Cars owned: GTR, Mazda 6
Have to say tried mpss, dunlop and the Bridgestones. Neither being a pro driver or anything like a race car driver i ended up going back to the bridgestones. I felt i had more confidence with them than any other tyre. I know some like the mpss for being softer but it doesn't work for me
Old 19th September 2014, 02:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Yes it was, in comparison to the bridgestones (not mpss).
As bridgestones were oem on CBA cars and then it was changed to dunlops on DBA cars.

When the power hiked up on DBA cars and 0-60 time dropped, was it possibly partly due to better dry grip from the dunlops as opposed to bridgestones?
I think only Jap import cars had the Bridgestones as stock, as far as I know all UK GT-R's (09+) are fitted with the Dunlops.
Old 19th September 2014, 02:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty_Blade View Post
Trev, where did you get the Dunlops at that price? I'm in need of changing mine this week
Broomers put me on to them last week, it's a company called Briant Tyres, they have several bays around the south west, I used the one in Taunton (ask for Mike), they take their time and do a good job, was £1175 all in. I'm sure they'd do the same deal for you if you mention Trev with the grey GT-R told you the price