How bad are bridgestones - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19th September 2014, 06:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crafty_Blade is struggling with what mod to do next!
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
Broomers put me on to them last week, it's a company called Briant Tyres, they have several bays around the south west, I used the one in Taunton (ask for Mike), they take their time and do a good job, was £1175 all in. I'm sure they'd do the same deal for you if you mention Trev with the grey GT-R told you the price
Cheers Trev
Old 19th September 2014, 09:22 AM   #42 (permalink)
DEFIKS is great crack ;)
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Mpss is more user friendly, every day tyre for sure but as performance tyre where the Bridgestone works well on the track the Mpss performance will end as it will float, will make car unstable and so on.... and I think that's the whole point of this discussion...
Old 19th September 2014, 09:29 AM   #43 (permalink)
Robbie J is building a Datsun with a RB in
Registered

Cars owned: RB 280Z, 997 T and STI Leggy
the thing with the bridgestones is they are temp sensitive ie when cold they are bad. In summer they are OK

Old 19th September 2014, 09:35 AM   #44 (permalink)
DEFIKS is great crack ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
the thing with the bridgestones is they are temp sensitive ie when cold they are bad. In summer they are OK
and opposite mpss will overheat, you just need to push harder to put heat in to Bridgestone, but you will not cool down the mpss by driving faster...there are quite few posts on this forum where guys went for track days on mpss and they were not impressed as they have been all over the place on the mpss...

mpss more comfort / bridgestone more performance

I've spoke to a man who tests supercars and tyres too...he said to me that very good tyre is a Cup 2...

Last edited by DEFIKS; 19th September 2014 at 09:54 AM..
DEFIKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 02:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crafty_Blade is struggling with what mod to do next!
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
I think maybe that's because (same as the Dunlops) they are billed as a summer performance tyre; that was Mr Nissan's intention.
Old 19th September 2014, 03:01 PM   #46 (permalink)
paulmc is looking for more power 750-800bhp is not enough

Cars owned: GTR R35, 911 turbo, F10 M5, V10 RS6
Argee these Dunlops are not good. Tramlining and road noise is a joke while grip is just about ok.

I had MPSS on my F10 M5, fantastic tyre. Given it had 560bhp (underestimated i would say) and rear wheel drive the traction was way better that i expected. I will be changing the GTR to MPSS.
Old 19th September 2014, 04:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
Rainman is just popping out for more milk.
GTROC Member

I had a 350Z a while back and when I went to change the tires from the OE Bridgestones I got conned into sticking with them by some guy at Black Circles, who told me that I might have insurance issues if I used anything other than the OE tire. I thought it was a load of rubbish at the time, but I still bought the Bridgestones thinking that much of my experience with them was largely down to them being fairly well warn when I bought the car. So, on went a new set of RE040. Turns out that they were worse when they were new. More tram-lining, more noise, just horrible. Very twitchy in the wet too, not the worst though.

A couple of years later I traded the 350Z for a 370Z which had low miles and a new set of OE Bridgestone Potenza's. Terrible road noise, tram-lining, etc, and I vowed that the moment they were sufficiently worn they were going. I found that quite a few 370Z seemed to like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's and so I thought I give them a go, and they were so much better. Quieter, more grip, hardly any tram-lining.

I had a chat with the guys at Abbey Motorsport about tires, and they also agreed that the Bridgestones were not the best tire choice for road use. Suffice to say, it will be a cold day in hell before I put Bridgestones on any car I own again. Total sh!te, just the road noise alone was completely unacceptable. Once you were over 55mph you couldn't hear yourself think. Never again.

On the track I know it's a different game, and who cares about road noise then? Since my cars track time is going to pale into insignificance compared to it's daily driving schedule (that's if it even goes on a track) then I just wouldn't consider anything else. I have the Dunlops at the moment, and on motorways, etc, it's nice and quiet, and I'm more than happy with what the performance they offer as it's certainly beyond anything I've previously owned.
Old 19th September 2014, 04:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
OldBob is trying to sell the pork
Registered

Cars owned: Currently:911.2 Turbo S, Cayman S, Cayman R, Mk7Golf R, Seat Ibiza FR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
Broomers put me on to them last week, it's a company called Briant Tyres, they have several bays around the south west, I used the one in Taunton (ask for Mike), they take their time and do a good job, was £1175 all in. I'm sure they'd do the same deal for you if you mention Trev with the grey GT-R told you the price
Trev, your new tyres did end up being exactly the OEM type dunlops - ie XLoad etc right?
If so a journey down to the west country beckons lol.
And you're right re Dunlops being std fitting for CBA's too, my MY10 came with Dunlops.
Old 19th September 2014, 06:10 PM   #49 (permalink)
Will64 is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Noble m12, Audi b7 Rs4, Mercedes C63, Range Rover Evoque, R35
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
Trev, your new tyres did end up being exactly the OEM type dunlops - ie XLoad etc right?
And you're right re Dunlops being std fitting for CBA's too, my MY10 came with Dunlops.
And they can get you a set the next day.
Old 19th September 2014, 06:34 PM   #50 (permalink)
Iggy GT-R is looking forward to a Euro run!
GTROC Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35, RB320, Impreza STi Type UK, Impreza WRX, BMW JCW Mini, V70 D5, Ford Probe 2.5 V6, and a few others....
Are the Dunlop RFs are better than the Bridgestones?
Litchfield bell housing with 2016 NISMO gearbox software update & GR6 gearbox clips & piston caps
Carbon bonnet struts
Optima Yellow Top with CTEK comfort indicator
Ultra white LED interior/exterior light pack
Rear window tints
AP J-Hook front discs, Pagid RS29 pads & Alcon rear discs
Litchfield Goodridge SS braided brake lines
Iggy GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 09:17 PM   #51 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R "V"Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy GT-R View Post
Are the Dunlop RFs are better than the Bridgestones?
Better than ?? Depends on what and how you use the car and your style of driving etc etc etc

2008 Nissan GTR Black Edition (Racing "Fastest Colour" Red)
1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
1991 Honda NSX Type R (Vibrant Red)
2011 Porsche Cayman R (Peridot Green)
2108 VW Golf R (Saffron Gold)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 09:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedzilla View Post
They use runflats because,as is the case with most cars with huge and different size rims there is no room for a spare.

IIRC the mpss has a higher load/speed rating than the bridgestone anyway.
104Y XL - 100Y
Guys, have you ever heard of corning forces and tyres falling off of rims ? Watch and re watch the TG prog when Clarkson went to Japan to see and tst drive the car

1997 Nisan Skyline R33 GTR V Spec (Midnight Purple, the only Colour for an R33 GTR)
2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 19th September 2014, 09:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
Has anyone ever tried the Toyos?
Had them on my 33 and loved them
Old 19th September 2014, 10:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
So how come they went with dunlops on the later cars, then again a further dunlop revision on the my14 & nismo etc.
cos the Yanks and our ever PC world (EEC) want softer quieter / softer tyres and NOT proper hard core run fats that were designed for the car

2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 19th September 2014, 10:37 PM   #55 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
Have to ask Steve have you ever been in a 35 with Mpss tyres?
I never haver but if ssomeone runs them on their car in the Surrey or West sussex area please take me for a spin!
Old 19th September 2014, 10:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Steve is Mr GTR
GT-RDC Founder Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREG View Post
Have to ask Steve have you ever been in a 35 with Mpss tyres?
I never haver but if ssomeone runs them on their car in the Surrey or West sussex area please take me for a spin!
Yep I have and I have also hed R888's fitted to my car and used them around S.S.

Yes, the MPSS are quieter, and better in the wet, but if you use the car to the max, then I want a tyre that will do what it was designed to do, as we all know, and is explained on F1, being on the right tyre at the right time is paramount !!!

The Toyo's add an extra level of grip BUT still are not run flat and as I have said a million times before - wit till you get a puncture at 3-am on a dark cold wet winters evening, then who will be laughing !!!

2003 Mazda MX5 (Blue)
Old 19th September 2014, 11:07 PM   #57 (permalink)
Badders is loving his Litchfield 4.25
GT-RDC Member

Just swapped from Bridgestones to MPSS and for road use they are much better. Ride quality is better, grip on the road is comparable, tram-lining much reduced.
MPSS for road use I reckon and maybe Dunlops for track.
Old 20th September 2014, 03:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
Yes Bob, I'm a bit of a tyre anorak lol, they're stamped the same (DSST CTT),
same load rating as original tyres, I even checked the date on them which was mid 13 rears and mid 14 fronts (date can be read after the DOT number in a 4 figure format i.e. 4213 which means they were made in the 42nd week of 2013). You can buy tyres over 2 years old cheaper as they're out of date stock, like ones being sold on ebay.

The only fault I could pick them up on was that they didn't line up the yellow dot on the tyre sidewalls with the valve, but I've never been to any tyre bay that even knows they're supposed to, it helps with balancing the wheel, that's what the dot is for. Not a problem though, it makes no difference in reality.
Old 20th September 2014, 07:39 AM   #59 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
cos the Yanks and our ever PC world (EEC) want softer quieter / softer tyres and NOT proper hard core run fats that were designed for the car
Dunlops are still hardcore runflats.. In the pursuit of a greater ring time, surely if the bridgestone was the be all and end all tyre designed for the GTR, the nismo (track pack) would would have it again?

I'm sure the bridgestone is a good tyre, but its old technology. Think it'd be great if there was a tyre test carried out, bridgestones/dunlops/mpss/toyos/mpsc2s on track and road, same car/driver etc. (unless it's been done already?)
Old 20th September 2014, 10:48 AM   #60 (permalink)
The Cat is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yep I have and I have also hed R888's fitted to my car and used them around S.S.

Yes, the MPSS are quieter, and better in the wet, but if you use the car to the max, then I want a tyre that will do what it was designed to do, as we all know, and is explained on F1, being on the right tyre at the right time is paramount !!!

The Toyo's add an extra level of grip BUT still are not run flat and as I have said a million times before - wit till you get a puncture at 3-am on a dark cold wet winters evening, then who will be laughing !!!
Dark cold wet winters evening?? That's what my other cars for!! Other wise Call the AA who's membership you could pay for with the saving you made not buying Bridgestones!!