Early bellhousing symtoms - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27th September 2014, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Early bellhousing symtoms

Hi - what are the early symtoms of the bellhousing issue - mine is normally really quiet on idle - but after a 7hr drive to south of france ( hot weather ) the car had a rattle coming from under the tunnel on idle - when the car cooled down it went away and now back in the UK it seems fine again .
Old 27th September 2014, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
pulsarboby is Torque Of The South Motorsport

its a jangly rattle from where you describe fella so could well be a bellhousing issue

mine was done with the Litchfield mod a couple years back prior to me owning it but the thing still rattles after a spirited drive but in all fairness ian at Litchfield said he would replace it free of charge but after inspecting it there was no play, that was early this year but still the rattle continues lol

I had the car up on my lift the other day and checked it again and still no play so spoke to sly at kaizer and he reckons it could be the springs in the dummy flywheel that are rattling so I may whip it off and have a look and if there worn I will replace it

so it may not necessarily be the bellhousing bearing itself although that's obviously the first thing to check
Old 27th September 2014, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

Thanks for the reply - i do reconise the noise as the bellhousing rattle - just wanted to know if it starts off rattling when hot then goes away when cooled down - eventually rattling all the time - i had a mechanic in the car whos says its probably the heat expanding the casing where the bearing sits - makes sense as the down pipes sit next to the bellhousing - and as you say yours rattles after giving it some stick

Old 27th September 2014, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gasman is unaware they can edit their status

Not necessarily a problem. The gearbox makes a rattling sound when warm. The manual even stated that this is to be expected!

Afaik bell housing prob usually vibrates when revving car in neutral to 2k revs? Think I read that on here somewhere. I'm sure someone who's had the problem can confirm
Old 27th September 2014, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lloyd View Post
Hi - what are the early symtoms of the bellhousing issue - mine is normally really quiet on idle - but after a 7hr drive to south of france ( hot weather ) the car had a rattle coming from under the tunnel on idle - when the car cooled down it went away and now back in the UK it seems fine again .
you wanna hear bell housing? check this -

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

From my thread
https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/283025-be...ml#post2992313
Old 27th September 2014, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

Did it make the same noise if the car was hot or cold ? mine is quiet now so may not be the bellhousing after all and it was not as noisy as that when it did rattle
Old 27th September 2014, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
OldBob is trying to sell the pork
Registered

Cars owned: Currently:911.2 Turbo S, Cayman S, Cayman R, Mk7Golf R, Seat Ibiza FR
It can get very noisy when warm. If it's just the idle rattle then there's probably nothing to fret over.
Before the Litchfield one, when I was cooling after a few track laps the thing could sound horrible until revved a bit.
I'm on my third
Old 27th September 2014, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lloyd View Post
Did it make the same noise if the car was hot or cold ? mine is quiet now so may not be the bellhousing after all and it was not as noisy as that when it did rattle
Worse when it was hot, not too bad when cold.... It started with a little rattle, as in, hmmmmm what's that weird noise coming from under/front of the car? Then after 4-6 weeks I was left with the noise as per the videos, even a neighbour said 'it sounds like a bag of spanners' yes that did piss me off! especially when he owns a vauxhall corsa. So got it fixed by acspeedtech , and it hasn't rattled a single peep since .... Blisssssssss.
Old 27th September 2014, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Takamo is Living the Dream... Alhumdulillah (thanks to God)
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR, R35 GTR and many many more!!!
Try a clutch relearn that my help the noise issue, to check the bell housing put the car in neutral and the Rev upto 1800rpm and hold it there and if you feel a vibration through the car then it's one of the symptoms if not then It's ok.

Official Dealers of:
Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser
Smartrack Trackers, Toad, Scorpion & Blackvue

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Takamo is offline   Reply With Quote