Bad experience - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th September 2014, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
shrimpy gtr is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Bad experience

As title says with a sponsor on here called prestige wheel centre in Birmingham.
Have a my13 on a 14 reg with approx 1600 miles,wanted to have the wheels refinished as i had a acro drainage grill flip up and scrap the edge of the front wheel.Only paint taken off NO damage,and the rear wheels had a small scrap in the bolt holes,not noticeable unless looking for it.
Anyway as you peeps know its very hard to get a paint match.Anyway Delroy of Prestige wheel centre,said there are 3 different colours for the GT-R and had all 3 instock and promised me he could match if not,he would do all 4 with no extra charge,fair enough i thought.I choose to take the car up there at 140 miles each way.He had the car for a full week.2 weeks before i took it up there, it had it optimisation service.Tracking was fine before it went into Ancaster and perfect when came out,damage to front wheel was done weeks before the service.Car came out perfect.
Collected car on saturday 13th september.Wheels looked nice not a match as they had a purple pigment and not blue,but i was ok with that.paid and all was good.Going home and i had wheel shake at 70-80mph and pulling slightly to the left.I thought wheel balancing and maybe tyre pressure.Got home and noticed centre wheel cap missing form OSF and caps not sitting properly in the rears,NSF ok, contacted them.He was fine,get wheels rebalanced and new cap and he would pay,all good.
Went to sly at Kiazer on saturday 20th sedptember.Left him to do his buisness,while i waited in the waiting room.He called me out saying they had done a very poor job.the NSF balancing was out by 190g and the OSF was out by 90g wtf.He tried removing the sticky back from the weights and the paint was so thin the wheel rubber took the paint off.The reason why the cap came off and the others not fitting correctly was due to to much paint, which wont let the caps go in properly.The worst thing is that sly had to remove overpaint from the centre of the wheels,which if kept driving sly said it would of wrapped my disc's at a major cost.Sly also said the wheel aligment will be out,thats why it pulls to the left,not due to tyre pressure,but he checked that and only slightly out.
Contacted Delroy,he's paying for everythink apart from wheel aligment,also refunding my money i paid him.He says its not his fault why the wheel aligment is out,WTF he has monkeys working for him who leave my wheels in this state and cant even wheel balance.His answer was the weight must of came off.No sign of this at sly's.
Anyway i think the problem with the wheel alignment is either they put the tyres on the wrong cornes or someone tampered with it,thats the only answer,i can come up with.

Long story short, its cost me a small fortune my choice to go to birmingham and get a match when its not and a shit job.So now Sly is going to get the wheels sorted.
He is insisting he is not pay for the wheel alignment,would expect better from a sponsor on here and a quality job.

Thoughts on the wheel alignment situtation please???

Be warned use Prestige wheel centre at your own risks
Old 28th September 2014, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
goldgtr35 is Running 1026 BHP and 850 Lbs torque
Registered

havent seen the paint work he done so cant comment on that,
But why would he be liable for your cars tracking.
Hes unbolted your wheels and refitted them, Tracking is nothing to do with what hes done,
Or are you saying hes driven the car and hit a pot hole or kerb.

Goldie
Old 28th September 2014, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Sounds to me like you are being unfair. You've had a full refund for all things his responsibility. It's very likely balancing weights came off in transit so I'm not sure what more you want.

Alignment is nothing to do with the wheels so why should he pay for that?

I think you are being excessively harsh and demanding when there are no more options available in terms of refund.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th September 2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Harsh i find that hard to beleave,alignment is perfect when it goes into Ancaster,all though the grating had damaged the NSF wheel,came out of Ancaster perfect.Drove all the way to Birmingham,no pulling etc.Collect car a week later and car pulls to the left.Noticed it as soon as i got on the M6, must of been all of 10 miles.

As said before only answer i can come up with is tyres where put on wrong corners or someone in the shop tampered with it.

I feel in the long run i have saved him money due to having Kaizer cleaning the back of the wheels up,otherwise the disc's would of warpped,sly's words not mind.

I should of just let Lepsons do all 4 of them in the first place,least they was honest with me in the first place,saying they couldnt match the colour and had to do all 4,unlike this guy.

The paint work is actual good,apart from to much material on the face,not allowing caps to sit in and not enough on the back.I use to work in a paint shop,so know what to look at.

Will get pictures up later,have all pics taken when Kaizer took the wheels off.
Old 28th September 2014, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Have you driven it since having the wheels rebalanced, it was probably that causing the left pull, and the alignment is still fine I would guess.

Can you explain the warping discs scenario, do you mean he left deep overspray on the mating surface? In which case that would cause the poor balancing on their machine, and the wheel wobble.
Old 28th September 2014, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Clogger is fully aware he can edit his status

It never ceases to amaze me that firms still do shitty jobs and expect zero repercussions, especially for things modding, auto motive, with all the forums we have. Especially when they are a sponsor !!

All well and good giving refunds but it doesn't cover fuel, lost time and the general f**k around.

Whether or not the job had a an impact of the tracking, the car was fine before hand, when he took it back it was not. The shop should have just paid for the job to be done as a good will gesture for doing a piss poor job in the first place.
Old 28th September 2014, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
goldgtr35 is Running 1026 BHP and 850 Lbs torque
Registered

worked on cars since 1973 and never heard of disc warping because of paint an caliper/lDiscs or wheels. Extreme heat warps disc,
If theres paint on either of them , He hasnt taken the wheels off.
The tyres are directional. with arrows showing whitch way to put them on.
bloke might of cocked the wheels up. but why didnt you say so when collecting the car.
Not having a go at you personnally. but the whole thread doesnt add up.

Goldie
Old 28th September 2014, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rain is asleep
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

[email protected] overheating a disk...that aside, you should have got the balancing done, then test drove the car to see if it was still pulling. if not, problem solved. Now you have had someone else mess with your alignment and THEN took the car, so how can you 100% say that the alignment was off vs the balancing of the wheels being the cause of your issue.
Old 28th September 2014, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
PrestigeWheels is www.prestigewheelcentre.co.uk
Regular User

Sorry for the lengthy reply....

Dear Sir,

Firstly I would like to again apologies for your bad experience at Prestige Wheel Centre. I would like to reply to this as we do take all complaints seriously as we have previously explained to OP. It is only my intent to answer any queries that may still remain

I would like to point out which is not largely known that we are 'approved repairers' and in some cases vetted wheel repairers for companies such as

Mercedes Benz
Lexus
Bristol street Motors
Lookers Vauxhall
Ford Retail
Evans Halshaw

The list goes on...but my point we generally do a good job. Sure mistakes can happen...This is seldom but when they do occur we address them.

Here is some examples of our workmanship.

Alloy Wheel Refurbishment | Diamond Cut | Prestige Wheel Centre Blog

When we had the initial enquiry we had explained to the gentleman we had in stock the 3 finishes for the GT-R in stock, in which we were mistaken. It turns out that this was slightly different. In our previous exchanges we had the discussion that if there were any differences in finish we would do the 4th wheel at NO COST. We also offered a big discount for the 3 wheels that were booked in for being a forum member. It was also explained later on in the discussion that really the only way to have a factory finish on any wheel would be simply to have the original factory that produced the wheels refinish them. We generally make this clear and also state that we normally can get within a 5% match.

The car came in on Saturday after noon and was left on the car park where the customer had left it was shortly before we closed, after placing a steering wheels cover, seat cover we then brought it inside for it to be bagged up.

Monday morning the car as moved to the other end of the unit, re bagged and then placed on axle stands via the correct jacking points. The wheels were removed, tyres labeled and removed along with TPMS. With this particular job we checked the colour. It became apparent that under a UV light there was a pigment which gave a blue sparkle effect which we didn't not have in stock. The wheel colour we did have in stock so this was no issue.

We advised the customer and set about taking the wheel to the lab for the pigment to be matched up. The pigment hat not yet been put into production it turned out and had to be made. This is the most likely reason that after visiting a well known wheel refurb company prior to us, they had turned the job down. The first batch of the pigment was ready by Wednesday afternoon, so after having this delivered we then stripped the wheels. In this case rather than take any chances and knowing the customer was collecting on the following Saturday it was decided that we strip and refinish all 4 wheels to avoid any bad outcome. That afternoon the wheels were stripped. The next day the wheel went through prep, back-pads masked off and on Friday were then coated. The overspray referred to was a small amount of wet over spray which was paint and not powder. This is only microns thick. Paint is very different to powder coat especially in terms of thickness.

The Saturday the customer had arrived to collect his car. The wheels were inspected and the the overall impression was that he was happy. Paid in full and left. Even talked about an exhaust system.

We had a phone call from the gentleman Thursday 25th at shortly before 4.00pm. He explained to us that there was a centre cap missing, the wheels needed balancing and that the wheel alignment is now out. Without dispute we asked the customer to firstly have his wheel balancing checked and if it out, send us the receipt and we will reimburse asap.

We also took the customers word for it without delay that the centre cap was missing and offered the same.

It was on the basis that the customer had complained about over spray on the back pad of the wheel, that rather than dispute it we offered a full refund. We thought this best in this particular case.

We denied the request for fuel compensation and also the request to have us pay in full or in part for the wheel alignment to be done as the car only travelled a matter of meters over its stay. We also denied the request to have us pay for another company to refinish the wheels.

We went on to say that if there was a genuine and likely explanation for the change in wheel alignment then at least we could consider this, as we did with wheel balancing which may have been due to weights falling off and wheels being balanced on different settings, but in our experience we have never seen wheel alignment changing over a matter of metres on a flat surface before. We are based in a modern building with no road disturbances on the whole estate.

It was suggested that we had tampered with the car by the customer. We took no offence. We are certainly not 'Monkeys' :-)

We also explained that as this was the first time we had completed this particular 4 stage finish that admittedly and this could be a 'POSSIBILITY' of why the centre cap was missing due to powder thickness levels.

By 9.30 the next morning a full refund was paid along with the costs for the replacement centre cap and the wheel balancing, even though the customer was outraged by the fact we could not do it instantly. A little unreasonable we think, but hey we still try our best. We apologised all the way through and offered most likely reasons why these hiccups occurred.

I think we are good our job and we do get most work from recommendation. The vast majority of our customers are happy and we have a good reputation. We will never abandon any valued customer and realise that with out the customer we are nothing! Its a core value!

Coincidentally there was 3rd GT-R in on OP collection day that came in for wheel refurbishment. No issues at all and car booking in for more work to be done.
Old 28th September 2014, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
PrestigeWheels is www.prestigewheelcentre.co.uk
Regular User

gtr3.jpg

gtr2.jpg

gtr1.jpg
Old 28th September 2014, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Cat is unaware they can edit their status

I have to agree with Goldie maybe because I to have been a Motor Technician since 1973. Poor Wheel balance won't cause the tracking to be out or for the vehicle to pull to one side. The Only thing that May have caused a problem to do with the car pulling to one side was if a wheel (not tire) as they would have put them back on the correct corner due to the directional arrows I'm sure, (bearing in mind the wheels have no corner markings) wasn't put back onto the hub that it came off. I've known this to have caused a slight pull to one side. Having said that and having read their response (its possible this may have been the case) but it still would not have put your Tracking out. I would except their customer care response get the geometry reset and drive it like you stole it. Lol
Old 29th September 2014, 07:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
59bhp is not here

sounds like the company have bent over backwards to accomodate you and yet your still giving them a hard time.
Old 29th September 2014, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
BIPPU is unaware they can edit their status

If I had work carried out on my car and noticed an issue so soon after collecting it, I'd have turned around an headed straight back to the garage/workshop and dealt with it face to face, man to man.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIPPU View Post
If I had work carried out on my car and noticed an issue so soon after collecting it, I'd have turned around an headed straight back to the garage/workshop and dealt with it face to face, man to man.
What he said.

Great response from the supplier IMHO
Old 29th September 2014, 12:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
EAndy is unaware they can edit their status

Always interesting to hear both sides of the story.

Fortunate enough to have 2 sets of wheels so my refurb was much easier. I simply delivered wheels 1 week collected next but ironically next service my alignment was out perhaps I should of sort compensation
Old 29th September 2014, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Very impressive response from the company. As I said previously, he got a full refund, what more could he want. The response was courteous, humble and professional, doesn't sound like the type of outfit who would run away from responsibility.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 04:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Wheels was taken off at Kaizer to be rebalanced and then all the problems came to light,reguarding the poor job

Im just pissed off as we was used as a guinea pig,as he hadent done a set of GT-R wheels before,2 weekends wasted,promised a paint match,cant see how he had the pigment matched,as it was a purple pigment rather than a blue pigment and in a worse situation before i went up there due to having to have the wheel aligment done.

Im not getting into shit flying around,just stating facts.Wanted to let people know how bad a job i got.

Delroy needs to check his workers work before wheels go back onto the car or get a QC person to do it.

Im sure some off yours who commited would be just as pissed off if it happend to you,easy to comment when its not happened to you.

Ive had a chat with Sly at Kaizer,who is a top guy.Ive asked him to post his findings and explain the possible brake wrap situation due to paint/laquer on the mating service,as some of you cant understand it.

Wish i had kept quite and let it happen to someone else now,as im in the wrong WTF

RAIN,why dont you piss off and read the post properly you clown
Old 29th September 2014, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rain is asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpy gtr View Post

RAIN,why dont you piss off and read the post properly you clown
Old 29th September 2014, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post

LOL. Gald to have a little light in this thread
Old 29th September 2014, 05:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rain is asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpy gtr View Post
As title says with a sponsor on here called prestige wheel centre in Birmingham.

Have a my13 on a 14 reg with approx 1600 miles,wanted to have the wheels refinished as i had a acro drainage grill flip up and scrap the edge of the front wheel.Only paint taken off NO damage,and the rear wheels had a small scrap in the bolt holes,not noticeable unless looking for it.

Anyway as you peeps know its very hard to get a paint match.

Anyway Delroy of Prestige wheel centre,said there are 3 different colours for the GT-R and had all 3 instock and promised me he could match if not,he would do all 4 with no extra charge,fair enough i thought.

I choose to take the car up there at 140 miles each way.He had the car for a full week.

2 weeks before i took it up there, it had it optimisation service.Tracking was fine before it went into Ancaster and perfect when came out,damage to front wheel was done weeks before the service.Car came out perfect.

Collected car on saturday 13th september.Wheels looked nice not a match as they had a purple pigment and not blue,but i was ok with that.paid and all was good.

Going home and i had wheel shake at 70-80mph and pulling slightly to the left.I thought wheel balancing and maybe tyre pressure.

Got home and noticed centre wheel cap missing form OSF and caps not sitting properly in the rears,NSF ok, contacted them.He was fine,get wheels rebalanced and new cap and he would pay,all good.

Went to sly at Kiazer on saturday 20th sedptember.Left him to do his buisness,while i waited in the waiting room.He called me out saying they had done a very poor job.

the NSF balancing was out by 190g and the OSF was out by 90g wtf.He tried removing the sticky back from the weights and the paint was so thin the wheel rubber took the paint off.

The reason why the cap came off and the others not fitting correctly was due to to much paint, which wont let the caps go in properly.The worst thing is that sly had to remove overpaint from the centre of the wheels,which if kept driving sly said it would of wrapped my disc's at a major cost.Sly also said the wheel aligment will be out,thats why it pulls to the left,not due to tyre pressure,but he checked that and only slightly out.

Contacted Delroy,he's paying for everythink apart from wheel aligment,also refunding my money i paid him.He says its not his fault why the wheel aligment is out,WTF he has monkeys working for him who leave my wheels in this state and cant even wheel balance.His answer was the weight must of came off.No sign of this at sly's.

Anyway i think the problem with the wheel alignment is either they put the tyres on the wrong cornes or someone tampered with it,thats the only answer,i can come up with.

Long story short, its cost me a small fortune my choice to go to birmingham and get a match when its not and a shit job.So now Sly is going to get the wheels sorted.
He is insisting he is not pay for the wheel alignment,would expect better from a sponsor on here and a quality job.

Thoughts on the wheel alignment situtation please???

Be warned use Prestige wheel centre at your own risks

There, I made it a little easier to read.

While I can appreciate a member coming and voicing their experience, I still see it as;

-You had work done.
-You were not happy.
-You got the company to pay for the fixes.
-You also got a full refund from the company for the work they did.
-Still unsatisfied, you want the company to pay to re-align your car when they never touched the alignment, to fix a pulling issue.

As some people have said, other than wasting some time, you have not lost any money since they have basically paid for every fix and refunded you. All you had to pay for was a re-alignment correct?

If thats the case; You have come away very well, and the company has made a very honest effort to make you happy. You could have come off WAY worse.

You have painted them unfairly. (lol pun, sorry thats my clown side)