How to remove the front R35 badge? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th September 2014, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr Meat is a THUNDER BUDDY
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

How to remove the front R35 badge?

I'm trying to take the red resin R out of the crome effect plastic from the front R35 badge, I was hoping someone would know how to do this?has anyone on hear done this before? Ps the badge is removed from the car I just couldn't think of how to shortern this question for the thread title.
Old 28th September 2014, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
guyblue10 is aware they can edit their status
Registered

Hi There

Don't know - Just had a look at my R badge that's been in my desk drawer for the last 5 years....but I would try soaking it in this stuff

3M Scotch Weld Citrus Cleaner Spray 500ml 50098 Grease Oil Dirt Adhesive Remover | eBay

It's brilliant for removing adhesive - used it myself today on another project - I'd try giving it a good few sprays over the course of an hour, enough for it to penetrate well between the silver and the red, then trying to prise it out with a pin - it's got a bit of bend in it

Failing that - drill a couple of small holes from the rear - let loads of the same stuff penetrate into them...then try pushing from behind

What do you have in mind - some sort of SMD project?
Old 28th September 2014, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

If I can split it without breaking it, I want to illuminate it or change the colour.

Old 28th September 2014, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
bobbie is Stage 1
Registered

Cars owned: 2010 GTR
I have tried this myself and ended up drilling it out with a bremhill drill bits, done the job ok, but then is the problem of inserting the leds in it, I done it but was not happy with how the leds lit up, all you saw was the individual leds and just not a single complete light source, so just slung it on the shelf and went and bought the tommy karra one. of which is great
[IMG][/IMG]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Cat is unaware they can edit their status

Gently heat it with a Hair Dryer on inmurse it in hot water.
Old 28th September 2014, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered

Here you go. Soak it in the 3M stuff - 2 squirts over an hour - use a razor blade to ease up one edge

Squirt a bit more in the gap - leave it 30 seconds...ease it up a bit more - keep doing this for 4 or 5 goes - be really careful along the top as it's really thin and ....Bob's your auntie...

Old 28th September 2014, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

well done, I was going with the heat method as I put it in the oven at 120 for 5 mins and I could get some movement but I only had a terminal screwdriver but that was too fat. eBay it is then,Thankyou
Old 28th September 2014, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
bobbie is Stage 1
Registered

Ahhh once you got the front off that was the easy bit, now you have to make room in there for some leds

Bobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28th September 2014, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered

Funny you should say that - I did think about it a couple of years ago - I can make PCBs, solder SMDs (small surface mount LEDs) and build sequencing circuits....my plan was to create an R with white leds on the outside and red on the inside, so the two colours could be made to light separately.....but how to make it resistant to 100+mph?...I thought about using the original R as a mould and then encasing the circuit board in clear resin....I think I even bought the stuff to do it.......

Never got round to it - think it would look good lit up, but not too sure in the daylight...
Old 28th September 2014, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
bobbie is Stage 1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue10 View Post
Funny you should say that - I did think about it a couple of years ago - I can make PCBs, solder SMDs (small surface mount LEDs) and build sequencing circuits....my plan was to create an R with white leds on the outside and red on the inside, so the two colours could be made to light separately.....but how to make it resistant to 100+mph?...I thought about using the original R as a mould and then encasing the circuit board in clear resin....I think I even bought the stuff to do it.......

Never got round to it - think it would look good lit up, but not too sure in the daylight...
You got a do it!

Bobby
Old 29th September 2014, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Warming it in the oven worked, I just needed a blade to remove the R. Thanks guyblue10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 29th September 2014, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Zedhed is going to clean his car!!!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Turbo ZZR14R 360rwhp (Road Bike); Turbo ZZR11 575+rwhp (race Bike)
In for the updates