GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Flat Battery - Won't come out of gear (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/313217-flat-battery-wont-come-out-gear.html)

snuffy 16th November 2014 11:52 AM

Flat Battery - Won't come out of gear

My battery has gone flat (I keep having to go away for work so it's not being driven). The battery is flat (well, the dash will light up but the engine won't turn) but I can't push it out of the garage to charge it up because it won't come out of gear. Bastard.

Oddly, 2 weeks ago, the same thing happened. And it went into neutral fine that time.

Is there a trick I'm missing ? Thanks.

TAZZMAXX 16th November 2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snuffy (Post 3347273)
Is there a trick I'm missing ? Thanks.

Yes, get a trickle charger.

snuffy 16th November 2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX (Post 3347305)
Yes, get a trickle charger.

Indeed, yes. I think I have one somewhere in my garage (I used to have the same trouble on my Noble). I shall be fishing it out or buying a new one now.

But, I've managed to get it out of my garage. You need the ignition in "ON", foot on the brake and then you can move out of gear. The thing is, I can't lift the bonnet up in my garage because of the shape of the back of my garage, so the bonnet goes into a space that's only a few feet fall (because that's the other side of my stairs - I have an integral garage).

ASIF 16th November 2014 12:29 PM

key slot next to gear selector to put into neutral,just remove cap and insert key.

bobbie 16th November 2014 12:31 PM

Get a yellow top battery this will not go flat, I have just renewed mine and left car 3 weeks and starts 1st time every time now.

Bobby

snuffy 16th November 2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASIF (Post 3347369)
key slot next to gear selector to put into neutral,just remove cap and insert key.

I never knew that. Thanks, I'll have a look and make sure I know where it goes now, in case I'm stuck again.

Evo9lution 16th November 2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbie (Post 3347385)
Get a yellow top battery this will not go flat, I have just renewed mine and left car 3 weeks and starts 1st time every time now.

Bobby

This. Can leave the car ages with one of these :thumbsup:

[email protected] can supply you with one of these and can fit if needed as well

Satan 16th November 2014 07:35 PM

Maypole 3.8 Amp off Ebay, 22 ish delivered.

No need to pay silly money for Ctek or Optimate.

JMHO of course.

( my 59 plate still on the original OEM battery and no problem)

Satan

goldgtr35 16th November 2014 07:41 PM

Ive left my car for 6 weeks before with out any trouble.
started first time.

Goldie

m1ac_drew 21st June 2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASIF (Post 3347369)

This has proven incredibly useful while I have the battery disconnected.

Is there a similar trick for the steering lock?

Takamo 21st June 2019 12:23 PM

Get a Ctek trickle charger... Best money you'll ever spend

m1ac_drew 21st June 2019 12:28 PM

I don't have electricity in my garage...

I have the battery disconnected while I am working on a ton of cooling upgrades. I also can't turn the ignition on as I have the front bumper and crash sensors off the car at the moment.

Overriding the steering lock so I can push and pull the car and adjust its position in the garage would be very useful.

SKNAM 21st June 2019 12:51 PM

The moving part of the steering locks are electro-mechanical (i.e. have some sort of actuator in them to operate the "lock") so I don't think you'll be able to get it to operate without ignition, unless someones found a work-around.

Just a thought, do the crash sensors have a dedicated fuse/relay? If so, would removing that enable you to turn on ignition? ECU might throw a code, but that could be deleted later on etc.

m1ac_drew 21st June 2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKNAM (Post 5783995)
Just a thought, do the crash sensors have a dedicated fuse/relay? If so, would removing that enable you to turn on ignition? ECU might throw a code, but that could be deleted later on etc.

I don't know. I'll probably just remove the sensors from the bumper, hook them back up and use my lithium jump starter battery to turn the ignition on. I think the battery went dead from all the locking and unlocking (and boot opening) while I was working on the car.

Removing just a fuse would be a lot quicker and easier.

Takamo 21st June 2019 08:15 PM

The steering lock requires power

m1ac_drew 21st June 2019 09:31 PM

Yeah, I used my lithium power pack, worked a treat. I forgot that I had already removed the crash sensors from the bumper so was able to just reattach to the socket and power on.

ASIF 23rd June 2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1ac_drew (Post 5783959)
This has proven incredibly useful while I have the battery disconnected.

Is there a similar trick for the steering lock?

The way i disabled the steering lock a few years ago is to push start button once without your foot on the brake that will release steering lock then pull the steering lock fuse keeping it unlocked.

m1ac_drew 23rd June 2019 08:14 AM

Now that sounds like a great idea! Just need to find out which fuse to pull...

herman 24th June 2019 11:24 AM

fuse

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1ac_drew (Post 5784125)
Now that sounds like a great idea! Just need to find out which fuse to pull...

All of them,then you cant go wrong:chuckle::chuckle: