GTR Forum banner

R35 Bov choice?

3K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  bfgriggers 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Im looking for a set of Bovs as my fist mod to the car, can anyone tell me which are the loudest atmospheric ones please?

the 2 I have been looking at are the GFB Bov and the HKS SSQVS, but im open to any suggestions or advise.

Cheers
Rick.

#5 ·
yes I looked at loads of video clips but its hard to gauge them on a video!

Im just starting to get a few bits and bobs together now. I will be ordering my exhaust at some point next week along with my choice of Bov',s and induction kit then straight to stage 4.25.

Im just trying to decide weather to get a completely straight through exhaust with no baffle's or boxes or weather its going to be to loud lol

#4 ·
Reminds me of my Cosworth days Lol

Bobby

#19 ·
I had BOV's on my Noble M12 GTO3 because it came with them. I absolutely hated them because it drew the wrong type of attention. People would just stare at you as you went down the road with a look on their face that said "you utter knob".

You could hear them all the time no matter how you were driving. At least in my defence I could say that it was completely stock and not by any choice of my own.

#20 ·
I had BOV's on my Noble M12 GTO3 because it came with them.
I fitted a dump valve to my Noble M12 GTO3 in the first week of having it (kept for 6 years). I loved it ! It did mean I over-revved before changing gear just to hear it. No one every looked at me with a "you utter knob" face that I ever noticed anyway.

I was going to a pair to my GTR but I'm not sure I'd hear them as the gear change is so quick.

#35 ·
I have just fitted the GFB BOV's.

Running them on full vent for maximum chavness :chuckle:

They are pretty loud when backing off on full boost but when the windows up and driving around normally not that invasive and you can always run them on re-circ if you want a break from the whooshing.

I got mine from Balance Motorsport, I believe they are the only guys that can get them at the mo in UK and Julian the owner was very helpful.

#40 ·
All tried and tested many moons ago, there was even a mag that did lengthy testing with the help of a tuner (sorry cant remember which mag or tuner it way way back in my cossie days). They help the life of the turbo bearings but other than that their use was never really quantified.

Why make all at that pressure in your intake just to blow it all out a open hole, all you have to do is bulid it up again.

There was some terpidation to begin with that the turbos would stall and / or break a shaft but test after test proved that the turbos build boost quicker than a car with DVs fitted and was faster round the track.

i guess you would need some of the GTR tuners to confirm that the turbos can take it?

I dont intend running any once mine is back on the road but will confirm with Ben Linney (or turbo dynamics who built my turbos to Bens spec) first that my turbos will cope.

Not all higher powered cars run them, My F10 M5 had none fitted from factory

#42 ·
Surge will never be an issue, choke will but as you are not requesting boost or forward flow (pressure stuck in the inlet) I cant see the issue here either.

the issue is around compressor stall (if that really happens?) and the pressure that puts on the shaft and bearings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.