Revisiting the 2001 concept - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 7th March 2005, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
trondhla is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Nissan SR Turbo
Revisiting the 2001 concept

The 2001 concept has after it was presented at the Tokyo autoshow received a lot of bad critics for its styling. I do not understand why, just open this link here and take a look:
http://www.nissaneurope-newsbureau.c...244_gtr013.jpg

This is an impressive profile. Wide, low, curvy, masculine and it demand respect out in the traffic. No sensible person can ignore anything like that when spotted in the windscreen. I think Nissan has nail the design perfect with this concept. This GTR has a green light from me.

Picture is taken from this series here:
http://www.nissaneurope-newsbureau.c...95163745956179
Old 8th March 2005, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
R32_GODZILLA is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: 92' HCR32 GTS-t Type-M
Thankyou for sharing those pictures with us....
I agree it has its positives with the styling in the 'agressive' department, but it still doesn't cut it for me in terms of the styling not evolving from the R34....its more like a revolution now (well it will be) with the FR-L chassis (or so ive read and learned).
I cant design a better car my self, but i believe nissan can do better with the styling. For me it's not aggressive enough...no standout spoiler, the aggessive flared guard "lines" (i know this thing is mega wide )...i dunno...alot of mixed emotions, i sure cant wait 'till the next tokyo auto salon in October to see their newest concept...Bring it on!

Steve
Old 8th March 2005, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
skylineGTR_Guy is unaware they can edit their status

I finally got it on GT4 and I must say it is growing on me! I like the rear end alot now, and yes it is quite wide which is awesome. I just dont like the front end.

Old 14th March 2005, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Killer is unaware they can edit their status

Nice but not sure about the fron lights and possibly looks a little too fat
Old 15th March 2005, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Perra is enjoying his LHD Hakosuka

Cars owned: R35
Iīve always liked it. I donīt really understand why people donīt like it but everyone to their own I guess...

/P
Old 15th March 2005, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
kgleeson is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: White R33 GT-R
Unhappy Skyline

Looks like a Ferrari from the back (Which is about the best bit) and it looks like a [email protected]@dy Audit TT at the front. No big spooiler at the back no splitter and visible intercooler at the front + No wide arches, blah, blah........................................

I don't know if it is one of them cars that grow on you? or you grow to loath them?

It is just sooo radically different from the previous 32, 33 and 34. Was hoping they would carry on with the pedigree but alas not. may make our 32, 33 and 34's more valuable though

I didn't like the new 350z when it first cam out but they have grown on me. But I am really unsure about this, maybe seeing them in the flesh so to speak may improve opinions of them.

Kev
Old 15th March 2005, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
phrozen is bassing up the GTR

i agree, the concept looks really nice. At first i thought are nissan having a laugh??? but if that was coming up behind you in your rear view mirror you'd look twice. It intimidating and best of all its different...theres NO WAY you'd think it was a modified almera!

phrozen
Old 15th March 2005, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
GTRalex is After the perfect 34GTR

Cars owned: R35 GTR soon....
im still not 100% yet!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OoskylineoO
GTRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2005, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
K66 SKY is NO longer a subscribed reader of Evo magazine -The thrill of errrm....Advertising Watches???
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 1992 Carlton GSi 3000 24v - 1996 R33 Skyline GT-R Standard Spec II.
Thumbs down

Sorry but i hate it!!!! The Skyline spawned a whole generation of cars with huge vents, big wheels, tall spoilers, fat body-kits and awesome performance! With this latest version Nissan seems to have forgotten the magic Skyline recipie. Half the attraction to the R32, R33 & R34 was their looks as nothing else was quite like them! Remember, Supercar performance in a neat coupe body?? It looks too much to me like Nissan is starting to copy other manufacturers designs ideas, like Audi, Aston Martin, Ferrari etc. The 350Z didnt float my boat either. I dont care about its inhanced performance potential as its looks are so vague and ugly i wouldnt want to be seen dead in one!!! What are Nissan after?? An Italian Supercar replica?? More upmarket customers to go with the cars Lambo style looks?? I know Nissan have to move forward to stop the breed dying out but the R35 is just too, sorry WAY TOO different. Subaru made the same mistake with the STi 7's! Does anyone agree with me?? Nothing in this world could make me like that car! I had great expectations for the R35 Skyline, but sadly for the designers and engineers at Nissan who spent lots of time developing this car........I REALLY HATE IT!!!
Old 21st March 2005, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diez is unaware they can edit their status

I've absolutely loved the concept ever since I first saw it. Its pretty normal for owners and enthusiasts to resist drastic changes in design, especially when it comes to such an automotive icon. I think it looks better in some ways than the present models (my favorite is the R32; I personally think its the "purest" looking design, followed by the R34, and lastly the R33).

Aside from its performance, I do agree though that part of the GTRs appeal and legend was its rather boxy, brutish styling. In that sense, I guess Nissan is going for a more streamlined, "delicate" aesthetic; evidenced by the new Z and Infiniti G35 coupe. I don't know, but I think there's a huge market for a more "brutish", aggressive styling. All you have to do is see how the Evos and WRXs sell.

However, given that they are trying to appeal to a different sort of buyer with this world-market GTR, I still think the concept retains a good amount of "brutishness" which I love.

Because it was recieved so badly, I'm sure the actual car will look nothing like it. Pity, as I would have bought one. Hopefully Nissan will have something even better up their sleeve.