R32 gtr hicas pops on after lil while SOLVED? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline and Stagea "How to" and DIY guides
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ogustuce

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2015, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ogustuce is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

R32 gtr hicas pops on after lil while SOLVED?

Community is all about share. Some helped me so i hope i can help some.

I had that problem for a lil while on my 1990 gtr r32. You know,car is alright, u get on the highway and OH NO! That damn hicas light pops on after ~10 mins.If you have an aftermarket steering wheel, your problem is most likely the steering wheel angle sensor. If you know its the steering wheel sensor( like me), then skip some text and go to the steps. If you dont know whats the problem, you should run the hicas diagnosis.

-How to hicas diagnosis:
There is a way to diagnose the issue that involves turning the ignition switch off and setting the car in neutral for manuals and park for automatics. Start the engine and Quickly turn the steering wheel left to right 20 degrees about 5 times. Pump the brakes 5 times. Drive forward about 15 feet under 9mph. The HICAS light will begin flashing quickly if nothing is wrong or will flash a code to indicate the problem. Long flashes indicate the first digit, short flashes the second.

HICAS light codes for '90-'93:

1. HICAS solenoid R.H.
2. HICAS solenoid L.H.
3. Cut-off valve
4. Power Steering solenoid
5. Vehicle Speed sensor
6. Steering angle sensor
7. Steering Neutral positon sensor
8. A/T: Parking Brake Sensor M/T: Clutch sensor
9. A/T: Inhibitor sensor M/T: Neutral sensor

HICAS light codes for '94-'99:

11. HICAS control unit
12. HICAS motor power supply not present
13. HICAS motor output not present
21. Vehicle speed signal not present
22. Steering angle sensor angle signal not present
23. Steering angle sensor neutral not present
24. Rear main sensor input not present
25. Rear sub sensor input not present
31. Parking brake sensor input not present
32. Inhibitor switch (A/T) or nuetral switch (M/T) input not present
33. Engine speed signal not present

You'll exit diagnosis mode after the car has turned off, you've exceeded 9mph, or the test has gone on for 5 minutes. If you're not a fan of the HICAS system, SPL and Stillen offer kits to eliminate the system.

If you get steering angle sensor here is how i fixed mine. So i know for early r32s, the sensor zero positon ( the position it should be when wheels and steering are straight) is 1 and 7 o'clock. For late r32s its 12 and 6 o'clock. So now what year is early and later r32s? I know for sure that 1989 and 1990 is 1 and 7 o'clock and thats all im sure of, sorry.

So now I did everything BY EYE so either i got cazy hawk eyes or very lucky.

1- get your wheels as straight as you can with your steering wheel.
2- pop your steering wheel horn button, un-plug the button.
3- loosen the big bolt in the middle of steering but dont remove it yet. Make it 2-3 turns from removal. ( this will prevent you from smashing your nose when removing steering wheel.
4- now put your left hand at like 8 o'clock and right hand at like 2 o'clock. Now pull (hard that thing is tight) with your left hand then right hand and repeat until steering comes off.
5- remove that middle nut and the steering. You should see the sensor now. From the sensor there is 2 "squares". The bottom one has horn wires comin out. Thats the one you put at 7 o'clock( or 6 o'clock).
6- put steering back
7- ounce everything is back where it belongs, pop the hood and disconnect the battery. Get back in the car and pump brake a couple times( to drain all possible electricity left) and leave it like that an hour( recommended, thats what i did but its up to you). This step is to reset hicas
8- plug everything back, start the car and drive. AND TELL ME IF IT WORKED FOR YOU =D

Hope this helped, i did that a couple days ago and the light never came back yet!
( if something is unclear, feel free to ask!)

Last edited by Ogustuce; 23rd April 2015 at 02:57 AM..
Ogustuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dylan Is Broke is finally legal in the USA!

I'm gonna have to try this later tonight so I can see if it the angle sensor. It did it before I put the aftermarket steering wheel on, but I know for a fact that I didn't line it up correctly when I put my new steering wheel on, so I'll go back and see if this sorts it! Will report my findings.

Cheers,
Dylan
Old 8th August 2015, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, it sure sorted it! Thanks for the help!

Old 22nd September 2015, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Going to have to try this - good write up!
Old 26th September 2015, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Difference between early and late wheel. I have a lare R32 and fitted a early wheel which threw the hicas out and the light comes on after 10 mins. So now will fit the later wheel hopefully that should resolve the issue.

The difference in the angle is 12 o'clock for late R32 vs 7 o'clock for the earlier R32.

Old 26th September 2015, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
R3Twist is unaware they can edit their status

Silly question maybe...

I removed hicas and fitted Aftermarket boss and wheel. The boss can only go on one way due to those little hicas and horn connections.

But my wheel is a little off, driving straight forward is 11o clock ish.

Is this the hicas? The boss? Or tracking/alignment? I can't get my head round it.
Old 26th September 2015, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Early or late type you need the wheels straight ahead and then align the hicas angle sensor as per the oem wheels and how it's positioned.
Old 26th September 2015, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
R3Twist is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
Early or late type you need the wheels straight ahead and then align the hicas angle sensor as per the oem wheels and how it's positioned.

Sane as the top steering wheel in pic, so assuming late

So do I need to take the boss back off? I have hicas delete but havent cut wires to remove light yet,
Old 1st February 2016, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Twist View Post
Sane as the top steering wheel in pic, so assuming late

So do I need to take the boss back off? I have hicas delete but havent cut wires to remove light yet,
from what i understand you have two options:

1) remove the sensor behind the steering wheel so you wont need the boss kit

2)get your car aligned to a garage
Old 1st February 2016, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

glad i could help
Old 5th February 2016, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Long time no posting, sorry. So I thought mine got sorted out, and it was for a while but this issue seems to have cropped up again. Any thoughts on it?
Old 5th February 2016, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Anything happened? Like removing steering wheel? Try running the hicas diagnosis again, maybe its not steering sensor this time
Old 5th February 2016, 03:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Nope, didn't remove the steering wheel at all. I have another issue that I feel like it might be related, but I honestly have no idea. When I hit about 90Km/H my steering wheel shifts about 5-10 degrees to the left. There isn't any significant left pull to the steering, but it happens every single time right around the 90Km/H mark.

I'll try running the diagnosis again and see if something new crops up with it. Thanks!
Old 5th February 2016, 03:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Probably not the steering sensor. I dont see why it would "un-align" itself. Maybe a sensor of the hicas went bad and needs replacing. If the diagnosis points nothing out, put ur wheels straight and try removing your battery to reset hicas.( remember to push the brake pedal a few times after u unplug the battery to sink remaining power)
Old 3rd July 2017, 05:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
mikelockman is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Is Broke View Post
Nope, didn't remove the steering wheel at all. I have another issue that I feel like it might be related, but I honestly have no idea. When I hit about 90Km/H my steering wheel shifts about 5-10 degrees to the left. There isn't any significant left pull to the steering, but it happens every single time right around the 90Km/H mark.

I'll try running the diagnosis again and see if something new crops up with it. Thanks!
My '92 R32 GTS25 is doing the exact same thing! As soon as I hit the highway, my steering wheel needs to me tipped to the left a little bit to hold it straight, and after 5-10 minutes of driving about 90km/h+ the HICAS light comes on and stays on until I shut the car off. It does not come on at all otherwise, I can drive through town for hours at lower speeds and nothing. It will only act this way at highway speeds. I do have an aftermarket wheel, and I did get a proper hub (12 & 6 sensor notches) As far as I can tell everything is lined up just fine, at city speeds the wheel holds straight, and the light never pops on.

Did you ever find a cause/solution for this?
Old 6th July 2017, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
mikelockman is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

solved!

Figured I'd post my findings in case anyone else stumbles on this thread. I took my steering wheel off yesterday, just to make sure I had the hicas sensor lined up. Turns out what happened in my case was the plastic ring on the back of the hub boss that has the notches for the steering angle sensor had broken off of the metal hub body and was not turning properly with the wheel. It was an HKB hub (the only one I could find that assured compatibility with late model R32's), and the hicas sensor ring was simply glued to the base of the hub boss, I'm guessing the summer heat caused the glue to fail. After reattaching the ring and gluing it with a stonger glue, the problem has completely gone away! Now to hunt for a higher quality hicas compatible hub boss and hopefully never deal with this again!