2002 R34 M-Spec Nur max power keeping engine stock project - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th July 2015, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
lex-nur is loving the M-Spec Nur.
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Question 2002 R34 M-Spec Nur max power keeping engine stock project

Guys,

I am importing a pristine R34 M-Spec Nur (Jade colour in-case anyone wonders as I love this colour). As the informed know only 250 of these were made and they included several upgrades including the R34 N1 engine and N1 turbos.

Car has only a few basic mods:

* Nismo LMGT4 limited black wheels
* Nismo S-Tune suspension
* Nismo Aero front bumper
* Nismo black gear shift
* HKS exhaust system and carbon exhaust bumper guard
* Apexi PowerFC ECU

It may have an Apexi boost controller plugged into the PFC ECU and after market air filter but I won't know till it comes and so am thinking no for the moment.

I want to keep it fairly stock with original N1 engine so that the future price is not impacted so I am thinking of the following upgrades:

Looks:

* Nismo style carbon side and rear spats
* Nismo style rear carbon spoiler blade
* Nismo rear LED lights
* Nismo carbon side pillar garnishes
* Nissan V-Spec 180kph speedo (want it in miles and car comes with 320kph speedo which will look stupid when converted to mph)

Performance:

* Nismo FRP air cleaner duct
* Nismo inlet pipes
* Nismo intercooler pipes
* Apexi filter panel

I think with the above I will get a safe 430-450BHP but I am unsure if I will get anymore with the 1.2bar mod... I am thinking what is needed to get 500BHP will be more parts no? I know the MAF and injectors could limit me as well as the stock boost setup modified to 1.2bar so I am needing clarification of the following please.

1 -
Did the final 2002 Nur cars have the same MAFs and Injectors (444cc) as the V-Spec II cars? If so to get 500BHP will I need the following as I read/hear both will only take me to 450BHP max?...

So, to get 500BHP will I need extra?:

* Apexi FC boost controller (to take up to 1.4/1.5bar)
* Nismo uprated MFD v2 (supports 2bar display - do not want any other displays in car and will need to know if boost creeps)
* Nismo MAF x2 (supports 775ps I read)
* Nismo uprated fuel pressure regulator (not the high flow model) - not sure what this will support but should help no?
* Nismo 555cc injectors (1cc per hp estimate so should not run at 100%)
* Nismo Uprated fuel pump

2 - If I do need to get the above for 500BHP I am thinking will it really be worth it (cost +£1.5k in parts = +£30 per 1hp) for say 50bhp more or should I stick to 1.2bar and the max power it gives as the hopeful 450BHP will be enough?

3 - What about the stock brembo brakes, will they as well as the standard clutch struggle with 500BHP (this car will be for weekend/fast road only and loved and treated right btw)?

4 - What about the head gasket - will it support safe 500BHP (I read Nur N1 Engines have better head gasket)?

5 - Am I forgetting anything else (oil catch can, uprated spark plugs, uprated radiator cap etc.)?

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks, Lex (promise to send pics when it lands in September).

Last edited by lex-nur; 16th July 2015 at 11:05 PM..
lex-nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

.. I know there are lots of answers about and I have read so many threads and I think I know the answer which is to stick to 450bhp or thereabout but welcome your feedback and advise!
Old 17th July 2015, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Pics of the car in Japan...

Is on RORO on 26th
GTRNICK, sädde, LP570-4 and 1 others like this.

Old 17th July 2015, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
2fastskyline is unaware they can edit their status

Nice car...Congrats!!
Old 17th July 2015, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
jps
jps is working hard - dreaming bigger!
GT-RDC Member

Nice car there.....and colour too!

arriving Newcastle mid September? The long wait is the worst part!

Old 18th July 2015, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Talking

Some people moan about the colour but I love it, plus never seen one this colour in UK and I love unique cars/colours.

Newcastle 2nd week September I believe - not been up there before so will get the train (I think that will be the longest train ride ever in my life)... the wait as you say is a killer so I am trying to fill the time now with working out what to do with the car and sourcing the parts at best price as new R34 parts are damn expensive

So happy to finally be a joining the UK GTR brotherhood
Old 18th July 2015, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
ShopGTR is in the USA.
New Users

Cars owned: 95 R33 GTR
Wow that is beautiful!! Excellent car!
Old 18th July 2015, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jimbostir is Wondering: Will ANDY H ever get his 32 on the road?.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Datsun
Nice car mate. I think a reliable 500bhp is a bit optimistic with your turbos. 450 is more like top end of where you should be looking.
Old 22nd September 2015, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
jps
GT-RDC Member

looks like your car has arrived in the UK.

very nice!

Old 22nd September 2015, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Maybe I've seen posts with the same car but there seems to have been a few M-Spec R34's coming over to the UK in recent times....

Nice car BTW lex-nur..

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
skaif is saving for a Skyline...

That is gorgeous! As above, there have been a fair few advertised and sold to UK folk by the looks of things! The more the merrier!
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
jps
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex-nur View Post
Some people moan about the colour but I love it, plus never seen one this colour in UK and I love unique cars/colours.

Newcastle 2nd week September I believe - not been up there before so will get the train (I think that will be the longest train ride ever in my life)... the wait as you say is a killer so I am trying to fill the time now with working out what to do with the car and sourcing the parts at best price as new R34 parts are damn expensive

So happy to finally be a joining the UK GTR brotherhood

Not sure if you are about at the weekend but there are several R34's and other Skylines going to the Ace Cafe meeting this saturday, 26th - 11.00am / 4.00pm.

see you there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2391-nw.jpg (359.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
tonigmr2 is Happy to get my R34 back!
Administrator

Cars owned: MR2 TC, 981 3.4S, Disco5, R34 & R35
Why would you put nismo style on a genuine NUR!
Cannot understand cheap parts on a 50k car!
GT-R David likes this.

Girls drive GTRs too

Next event is our GT-RDC Welsh weekend in November
tonigmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
CT17 is probably in an R34 GT-R.
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: A GT-R... and some others.
Stunning car you have there!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Talking

Hi guys, thanks for all your nice comments so far and sorry for not responding to any PMs as I have been away in the USA for work .

Yay the car has arrived and I am very excited, Jurgen and I have just confirmed some other work to be done to what we originally agreed so I am delaying the car being ready but hey might as well pick it up all done and 100% for the 400 mile home drive.

About the Nismo style parts comment...

1 - The "Nismo Style" rear wing spoiler blade - I was looking at the carbon made one from Knight Racer as they make/source quality parts but; I am now deciding whether instead to get the standard one carbon water transfer dipped by Wicked Coatings as they do awesome work - this will be done after I get the car back if I choose the dip method over the KR blade (will know when I go see KR for the side skirts and spats).

2 - The "Nismo Style" side skirts and rear spats - From Nismo when imported cost a damn fortune for what they are, I honestly cannot justify to myself the cost when I know the ones from Knight Racer are almost as good as Nismo ones... cost when imported for Nismo ones are over £850, from KR they are £300 (and I am sure I can get a further discount applied and can pick them up myself and check quality before handing over the readies)... that's +£550 saved to go towards a private plate and who will know the difference / that they are not Nismo ones (be honest)?.. if they are not up to scratch I will dig deep and order the Nismo ones (at least I am not ordering off ebay!!!) and delay work on my Nissan GTiR Pulsar for a few more months .

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

As for the goodies I finally today received three large parcels from RHDJapan (very friendly service with further discount given and a big help with importing ) ... yes these are all genuine parts and not cheap alternatives as I want to add to the car not take away from its awesomeness (and yes these were not cheap!):

• NISMO Racing Radiator Cap
  • NISMO BNR34 Polished Air Inlet Pipe
  • NISMO BNR34 Intercooler Piping Kit
  • NISMO BNR34 R-tune Air Cleaner Duct
  • NISMO BNR34 Air Flow Meters (x2)
  • NISMO BNR34 High-Flow Volume Fuel Pump Kit
  • NISMO BNR34 High-Flow Volume Injectors Set Top-feed 555cc (x6)
  • NISMO BNR34 Fender Cover Set
  • NISMO BNR34 S-Tune LED Tail Light Set
  • APEXI Power Intake Filter
  • HKS Turbo Timer - Type 1
  • HKS Turbo Timer Harness
  • HKS EVC-S Boost Controller

I also got a set of Benchmark coils and Jurgen is going to replace the spark plugs as well as a service etc... this way we know when we map we should get the most out of the N1 engine and turbos . The car will be rolling road mapped so when we get the print out I will post up... fingers crossed for a reliable 450-475bhp.

Jurgen is also going to get the leather drivers seat repaired as there is a mark/repair on drivers bottom left bolster, he is also going to get the parts needed painted and fitted and we are also going to paint the front bumper bottom lip matt black as it looks horrible colour coded atm.

I think that's it guys so I will update you next when the car is all done... if you want to see more pics now it has landed Jurgen has some on his FB page.

Thanks, Lex.

Last edited by lex-nur; 22nd September 2015 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: ..removing those horrible external links.
lex-nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey JPS, I am coming into London on Saturday already so I will twist the misses arm to stop in and say hello to you, I won't be able to stay long as the little one will be with me... while she does love cars her attention wonders quickly as she is only 3yrs old and we are coming into London to go to a birthday party where her best friend will be waiting for her.

See you there I hope!
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Good call on the splitter.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
A12DY B is loving his R34 GTR

Cars owned: R34 GTR V SPEC
lovely car and plans
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
mhhforyou is a titan freak

Cars owned: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex-nur View Post
About the Nismo style parts comment...

1 - The "Nismo Style" rear wing spoiler blade - I was looking at the carbon made one from Knight Racer as they make/source quality parts but; I am now deciding whether instead to get the standard one carbon water transfer dipped by Wicked Coatings as they do awesome work - this will be done after I get the car back if I choose the dip method over the KR blade (will know when I go see KR for the side skirts and spats).

2 - The "Nismo Style" side skirts and rear spats - From Nismo when imported cost a damn fortune for what they are, I honestly cannot justify to myself the cost when I know the ones from Knight Racer are almost as good as Nismo ones... cost when imported for Nismo ones are over £850, from KR they are £300 (and I am sure I can get a further discount applied and can pick them up myself and check quality before handing over the readies)... that's +£550 saved to go towards a private plate and who will know the difference / that they are not Nismo ones (be honest)?.. if they are not up to scratch I will dig deep and order the Nismo ones (at least I am not ordering off ebay!!!) and delay work on my Nissan GTiR Pulsar for a few more months .
OMFG is the only thing that come in my mind.

As tonig says unbelieveable.

Car is nice/rare and is worth you support the japanese tuning firms. Nothing against KR but a KR part is never same quality as a Nismo.
tonigmr2 and GT-R David like this.
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

I doubt your M-spec Nur was cheap.

Please fit genuine Nismo parts and not Knight Racer stuff.
In comparison to the cost of your car it's very easy to justify the price difference IMO.
tonigmr2, GTRNICK, samgtr and 1 others like this.