GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Sudden Skyline selling boom? (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/43903-sudden-skyline-selling-boom.html)

DauntingGecko 14th October 2005 12:25 PM

Sudden Skyline selling boom?

Hi.

I've been thinking - when the brand new GTR comes out in 2007, do you think this will stir the general public enough for them to want any sort of Skyline they can get their hands on.

My theory is: when they see the new one, many won't be able to afford it (probably near the Porsche 911 kind of money by the sounds of it), hence they will go for either R34's, R33's and the R32's.

What do you guys/gals think? Would there be a sudden selling boom for all Skylines out there when the new one gets released? Good or bad thing? They may fall into the wrong hands!

Durzel 14th October 2005 12:32 PM

It might raise the profile slightly, but ultimately being "just a Nissan" the same old people will have the same prejudices imo.

Just look at the VX220 - awesome car in every respect, triumph of engineering and a fair few people just look at the Vauxhall badge and dismiss it out of turn.

What you've said is probably correct though, given I imagine this R35 would be priced in 911 territory (I'm expecting £60k+) then it might make the others more desireable.

Izzy 14th October 2005 01:24 PM

I think there might be a little more interest in '32's, '33's & maybe a bit more in R34's, but I doubt there'll be a "boom"...

Most people who would like the new Skyline will either buy one if they can, or admire it if they cant. I doubt many will substiture this by buying a car that's a lot older just because it has the same name....

rasonline 14th October 2005 01:52 PM

Fact that there was a bit of a break in between the last one and the new one will mean that you will get a whole bunch of new Skyline buyers out there who don't even know the first thing about the Skyline heritage. Especially considering the target market for the new car.

A lot of corp execs i think would go out and buy 'em, just like how you see those guys driving around in E55 AMG's or BMW M5. They don't really know krap about the AMG or M heritage. And so prob the same kind of thing.

Plus the fact that the new car doesn't even look much like the old one (i mean, it looks more like a hatch than a sedan/saloon).

Plus they marketing the car all around if i'm not mistaken.. USA as Infiniti and selling to couple of other countries as NISSAN?

Not so sure everybody will clearly see the link between the new GTR and it's ancestors.

Guy 14th October 2005 05:34 PM

If it comes out in 2007, the newest R34s will be 5 years old, the oldest 8 years. R33s will be 8-12 years old and R32s will be up to 18years old - makes you think really doesn't it................

liquidculture 14th October 2005 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasonline
Plus the fact that the new car doesn't even look much like the old one (i mean, it looks more like a hatch than a sedan/saloon).

I think thats the main point, I dont think many will consider the association with the old GTR's relevant because of this and the big gap.
I think Nissan are targeting a different market anyway and will link it up with the Nismo brand when they get that off the ground here, probably push them both at the same time and the 'old' GTR will be thought of as a different thing altogether.

Durzel 14th October 2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy
If it comes out in 2007, the newest R34s will be 5 years old, the oldest 8 years. R33s will be 8-12 years old and R32s will be up to 18years old - makes you think really doesn't it................

It certainly is long overdue.

It always makes me smile how whenever you hear people talk about Skylines, R34s in particular, they always remark about "the computers driving the car for you". In reality by todays standards, the sort of stuff in the Skyline is bordering on basic equipment. When you think that there are cars today that have things like side airbags (side, etc), keyless entry, integrated HUDs (ok the R34 has one), electronic tyre pressure monitors, AYC, brake and power bias on a per wheel basis, and that these things aren't by and large out of the ordinary anymore... well, it certainly makes you think.

r33 v-spec 14th October 2005 10:02 PM

Yeh I agree with you Durzel to a certain extent. But for me the SKylines more of a performance car, and to be quite honest if the new skyline didn't have keyless entry, tyre pressure control, traction control, it wouldn't really bother me.

These are all gimicks in the real world, and at the end of the day only create problems later down the line

Also if you look at all the major performance cars, most of them dont rely on tyre pressure control, keyless entry, etc, etc. Examples; M3 CSL, Porsche.

Just my opinion

GTR Fan 15th October 2005 01:54 AM

The r34 has a hud!? can anyone share a pic i know the new m5 has one. Theres always the posibilty the new car will become fasionable and be all over centeral london. And then prehaps lots will apear on the secound hand market in a short time or prehaps they be wraped up in a celophane i think its unlikely works for ferrari (always) merc porsche prehaps but nissan? The snobs would never have it! Part of the appeal for me......

paul cawson 15th October 2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR Fan
The r34 has a hud!? can anyone share a pic i know the new m5 has one.

Is this like in a Jet where the gauge information is projected onto the cockpit perspex or in this case windscreen.

stealth 15th October 2005 08:35 PM

I think it also depends on the marketing of the new car ,going to the States and all over the world in differant forms ,if that happens I think it will be just another expensive car and quite a few will be about .The old models were regarded differantly as just made for Japan with the the UK getting a handfull and others imported here and there in very small numbers.I also think that with this long break between cars and the amount of the new GTR 's that will be about ,the Skyline scene as us owners know it now will be lost .

GTR Fan 16th October 2005 02:08 AM

Paul yep thats what i mean the skyline has one?

rasonline 16th October 2005 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR Fan
And then prehaps lots will apear on the secound hand market in a short time or prehaps they be wraped up in a celophane i think its unlikely works for ferrari (always) merc porsche prehaps but nissan? The snobs would never have it! Part of the appeal for me......

Beg to differ... look at the 350z. Seems to be doing really well for itself, even with the snobs.

GTR Fan 17th October 2005 01:28 AM

Not saying its impossable just improbable 350Z is a lot cheeper if the GTR goes for porsche money then it will have to deal with the supper snobs and you get the felling that for them the embilimum of the key is worth far more that any thing else.

stealth 17th October 2005 02:05 PM

I heard its gonna be around the 65/70 grand mark .

liquidculture 9th November 2005 06:15 PM

Its going to be out of my range anyway and for some years to come, with a bit of luck the GTR34 will come down to my kind of budget and I can get one of them, I think I would prefer one anyway as I doubt that we can have much as fun tuning the new one as is possible on the RB26

Durzel 11th November 2005 03:01 PM

Personally I think for the new GTR to be remotely successful in the UK, Nissan will have to support it as they would a normal car (i.e. in all dealerships).

Most people would baulk at the idea of spending the sort of money this car will sell for new on something where there is only one dealership in the entire country that is officially able to service it.