The EU Referendum - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: Should Britain leave the EU?
Yes 143 69.08%
No 50 24.15%
Not voting 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree564Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th May 2016, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
CSB
CSB is hoping this thread doesn't get locked...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Arrow The EU Referendum

Don't really want to start a debate because it's not allowed here. But just wanted to put a poll up to see how you guys will vote.

If you have an hour to spare I'd recommend watching brexit the movie on YouTube.
Old 28th May 2016, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
AdnanK is doing his homework

Cars owned: MY13 GTR
All car forums that I'm on have the poll's vastly in favour of 'Out', yet according to the official poll's it could go either way.

I'm yet to decide, I can't find a compelling argument for either, all we get are scare tactics from both camps.
Trev and TAZZMAXX like this.

Last edited by AdnanK; 28th May 2016 at 04:37 PM..
AdnanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanK View Post
All car forums that I'm on have the poll's vastly in favour of 'Out', yet according to the official poll's it could go either way.

I'm yet to decide, I can't find a compelling argument for either, all we get are scare tactics from both camps.
This.

I'd like to know FACTS about pros and cons about being in OR out.

Not government "scare" tactics but actual FACTS.

Old 28th May 2016, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
The problem is that there are no real facts that either camp can categorically give...

The 'in' camp want to scare us with possible negative scenarios about what life would be like if we left. The 'out' camp can only try and give a view of what life would be like if we left. As 'out' is pure speculation, based on the fact there are so many unknowns, it is hard to give a definitive position.

The only thing that IS certain is that staying in will give us more of the same old.

Personally, I'm gravitating towards out at the minute. Funny thing is that, if we did vote 'out' then all the politicians, including those in the 'in' camp will have to just bite the bullet and MAKE it work in the best interests of the UK..

TT
NITO and CSB like this.
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
CSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
This.

I'd like to know FACTS about pros and cons about being in OR out.

Not government "scare" tactics but actual FACTS.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/184...9387981&sr=8-1

This looks to be the best unbiased source
Old 28th May 2016, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

This is an interesting article clicky
Old 28th May 2016, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Theskycankill is unaware they can edit their status

FFS we tried this.........https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/428641-eu...n-comment.html

LOCK !
Old 28th May 2016, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
CSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theskycankill View Post
Hmm missed that thread. Looks like it fell in to the abyss after getting locked.

Jknowles posts all seemed to be deleted as well

Either way, 2 months on, this thread should hopefully provide an updated view. Seems like there were quite a few sitting on the fence in that thread.

Again. No discussion please otherwise mods will lick it and the poll will close.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Imagine you're on a desert island covered in coconut trees. You've got food for life so why would you leave. You can't see over the horizon and there are no ships.

How will you ever know what else is out there unless you take the initiative to build a raft and take a chance. So the worst could happen but if you dont do anything you'll be eating coconut for the rest of your life.

Imagine being on the island with someone who wanted to stay and you wanted to leave. The only 'fact' you can present is that there are plenty of cocunuts but that cannot be the foundation of the debate because there 'could' be an island full of cows just over the horizon

That's how I feel and I'm voting 'out'

I'm fed up of coconuts.
Old 29th May 2016, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cardiff R33 is trying to resist mods
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookistar View Post
Imagine you're on a desert island covered in coconut trees. You've got food for life so why would you leave. You can't see over the horizon and there are no ships.

How will you ever know what else is out there unless you take the initiative to build a raft and take a chance. So the worst could happen but if you dont do anything you'll be eating coconut for the rest of your life.

Imagine being on the island with someone who wanted to stay and you wanted to leave. The only 'fact' you can present is that there are plenty of cocunuts but that cannot be the foundation of the debate because there 'could' be an island full of cows just over the horizon

That's how I feel and I'm voting 'out'

I'm fed up of coconuts.
But coconuts maybe better than drowning
Old 29th May 2016, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff R33 View Post
But coconuts maybe better than drowning
Exactly. That's why it's a cyclical argument. There are no answers. What if we stay on The island and typhoon blows all the trees away. We still starve to death but have no wood left for the raft.

Exactly what might happen if German right wingers win power and push for their own referendum.
Cardiff R33 likes this.
Old 29th May 2016, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
lightspeed is Building a house
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
The real issue is not in or out. We all want to be part of Europe. It's the level of control being given to Brussels that is the issue. I think all European people feel the same. Keep the EU, limit the powers. Work together but be different countries.

We should be voting on this issue, not in or out.
Old 29th May 2016, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
keithmac is a lurking GTO-TT owner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
Keep the EU, limit the powers.
That will never happen, if anything it goes the opposite direction year on year.

The amount of scare mongering the "in" camp spout, force feeding people ludicrous senarios of the world ending if we vote out just makes the "out" vote more appealing to me.
NITO likes this.
Old 29th May 2016, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
NITO is officially out of the Skyline scene!
Registered

Cars owned: CLS63S AMG Shooting Brake
Another Outer here. My views are well documented in the locked thread.

1. Ever closer integration resulting in the loss of our sovereignty combined with too much power going to anyone place, it's dangerous, undemocratic and once it's too late, unstoppable.

2. Unsustainable growth. Project fear like to talk about gdp dropping, house prices dropping 20% etc etc. As far as I'm concerned a shrinking back to sustainable principles would be a welcome relief. This constant appetite for growth growth growth is not good for the people, it suits globalised corporations and governments, inflation helps with wiping out their huge debts or justifying the over inflated budgets but at the cost of ordinary tax payers and yet another credit fuelled bubble just waiting to pop with disastrous consequences. The whole system is geared up for people to live in debt.

3. Holidays will cost £230 more a year, there might be a two year recession, are people seriously going to be swayed by such pathetic challenges in the face of such a huge decision. Surely noone in their right mind would base a decision on such a short term assessment.

4. France and Germany are promising closer integration if Britain exits, so there you go, the stage is already set for closer integration, a European army, so what was once a free trade area is rapidly turning into the united states of Europe, and Europe is largely steered by Germany as evidenced in the Greek crisis and as being the largest economy in Europe, our voice counts for very little in Europe going by the amount of times we have been outvoted on issues versus Germany or France. Our national curriculum back in the day taught us all about Animal Farm and the like, we should go into this with eyes wide open, not pressurised into remaining due to short term economic stability.
Red Duke, MS33, 4wdnoob and 3 others like this.

Last edited by NITO; 29th May 2016 at 01:11 PM..
NITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 11:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

As a free trade and co-operative block I really like the concept of the EU.

So I'd be fully on board with free trade and helping to work together on obvious rules and regulations (eg sharing crime data - which by the way doesn't happen).

How we ended up with redistribution of revenue from rich countries to poor, CAP and the EU parliament in all its complex forms is beyond me.

It's just not necessary to have all the baggage and a membership fee so high. The membership fee should be just enough to cover the free trade and admin - I absolutely have an issue with it paying for infrastructure projects in poor countries.

If I were any other country I'd also have a problem with a British rebate, I mean if the system is correct then why does the UK need a rebate?

Great idea, executed terribly.
Old 30th May 2016, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Amazing scare tactics by the government only idiots will fall for some of them. Best one I have seen is price of dairy products will soar by 300%
Old 30th May 2016, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

I'm voting to stay in, but only because my business has gone well the last 8 years and I don't want to rock the boat.
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_R35 View Post
I'm voting to stay in, but only because my business has gone well the last 8 years and I don't want to rock the boat.
Nice...I'm all right Jack attitude.
Old 30th May 2016, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Anders_R35 is Shells best customer
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theskycankill View Post
Nice...I'm all right Jack attitude.
Wtf else do you expect me to say?
MY11 Daytona Blue, Litchfield Manifold EFR 6758's, Whifbitz 102mm exhaust, AMS FMIC, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, V5 EcuTek - 852bhp / 654lbft, Alcon Superkit RS29 pads, Litchfield Suspension, Mines steering wheel, Sextons Audio
Anders_R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders_R35 View Post
Wtf else do you expect me to say?
Maybe that you broaden your narrow minded thinking...and think what could benefit the country in the long run,maybe think about future generations.

Or at least just think about your poxy 852hp car that the EU will eventually ban !