Project B - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 9th July 2016, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Project B

Hi All,

Well it's Saturday afternoon and I'm bored out of my tree, so I thought I'd start a bit of a thread about a shell that I bought, some of you will have already seen some of the pictures as I posted a few in my other thread the day I picked it up, but for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll start this one from the day I collected it.

I've named it Project B as I already have one project on the go, (there's a link below if you want to have a look), this will be nothing like the other one though, this will be more.... well, imagine if you will two sisters, the older one very pretty, prim and proper, always well dressed, wants to be treated with respect, the second a little younger, still got the looks but not as bothered about her appearance, a bit rough round the edges, but always ready and up for anything, got it, then lets start.

The shell was bought from a member on here purely for the glass, which was needed for the other project, the idea being to remove it then scrap the rest, but you know what it's like, plans change. The guy I bought it off told me it was really rough and as far as he was concerned not worth bothering with, and to be honest he may be right, this could all go tits up and end up being binned, but for now I'll give it a go.

I left about 4 in the morning, drove nearly 200 miles, I'd got tonsillitis and only had about 4 hours sleep in the previous two days, and still had the 200 mile drive home in front of me,

When I got there the car was still on it's wheels so we could push it on to the trailer, once on we jacked the shell up and remove the sub frames, then strapped it down and away I went, well apart from one other little hiccup I won't go in to,

A couple of pics of it being picked up,

Back at home,

It was a bit rough,

But not what I'd call fatal, still hadn't seen underneath at this point, but I was exhausted and feeling really Ill, so dropped the trailer off and called it a day.

I'm going to leave it here for now, but will be back later,

Hope your all well,

Regards Kev.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kevr32; 30th July 2017 at 06:47 PM..
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
speedingpanther is Playing with R34 RB install

Cars owned: MNP R33 GTR, White Spec2 Stagea
I wondered when this thread would be posted.
Love the opening you've typed. Though I imagine it more slutty than rough around the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th July 2016, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Does this mean a second rotisserie and a garage extension as well? I don't know how you'll find the time Kev.

Old 9th July 2016, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
barnsleyjohn is unaware they can edit their status

i knew it
Old 9th July 2016, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
rmiguelcar is unaware they can edit their status

Track car?
Old 9th July 2016, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jags is unaware they can edit their status

Kev, if you bring that shell back to life then major respect and kudos to you for saving it and not letting it go to the crusher
mambastu likes this.
Old 10th July 2016, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingpanther View Post
I wondered when this thread would be posted.
Love the opening you've typed. Though I imagine it more slutty than rough around the edges.
Trust you to lower the tone, I posted this link else where but give his work a look, it'll be right up your street, Justin Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX View Post
Does this mean a second rotisserie and a garage extension as well? I don't know how you'll find the time Kev.
It's already in the garage so no extension needed, but there may be another rotisserie on the cards, and your right about the time thing, as I said at the beginning it may all go tits up, and get binned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsleyjohn View Post
i knew it
What can I say, the price of scrap is really low at the moment, so I'm going to hang on to it until it goes back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiguelcar View Post
Track car?
Not where I'm going at the moment but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Kev, if you bring that shell back to life then major respect and kudos to you for saving it and not letting it go to the crusher
Wait till you see the next lot of photos, even I have my doubts, just noticed you managed to find the link above, it's something to have a look at with your morning cuppa.

I did intend getting some more pics up last night but had a few beers and got side tracked, I'll do it in a bit, just going to get some breakfast.

And thanks for the comments,

Kev.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10th July 2016, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Morning again,

When I started to feel a little better, I took the shell off the trailer that I used to collect it so I could take it back to the guy that lent it to me, moved it on to the bed of my trailer(that still needs finishing), covered it up and left it there for a while, the garage was full of shit and I needed a little time to move some of the crap.

A final decision was made to bin an old project in an attempt to allow me to focus on the grey 32, and free up some much needed space, so I took the front off the garage, again,

Dragged the old MG out and gave it to a local scrap man, moved a couple of the benches round and turned the car sideways across the back of the garage,

Still a lot of stuff to move but getting there,

And rather than boarding the front back up I decided to try fitting some bi-fold doors, I bought these a while back to sell on, but had very little interest in them so thought why not, they're just stood in place at the moment, but look better than the black plastic and OSB boards I had there before,

Once I'd had a bit of a tidy up I got the shell in and on to my trusty trestles, and after I had a quick look round and under it, that's about when I thought, yeh, take the glass out and bin the rest.

Being a little fed up with the state of it, I made myself a cuppa, sat down and stared at it for about an hour, in that hour I striped it, blasted it, braced it, welded it, painted it, fitted the engine and drove it out the garage, for some reason the part of me that loves a challenge went in to over drive and I had a clear image in my head of what it was going to look like.

So with that in mind I decided to take some pictures and make a start, the engine bays not bad, a little rust hole on top of the offside turret and the slam panel is a bit battered, but from there it's all down hill,

Rear arch as seen better days, but I have a plan,

The sill has had some top quality repair work done, not sure I can match the high standards but I'll try,

This section has been repaired at some point, not the best repair again, the holes in the end of the sill gives me a reason to cut the end off and fit reinforcement bars inside,

There's a chip in the paint above the petrol cap, that wouldn't open and doesn't fit properly for some reason,

The boot lid isn't too bad,

Photobucket is playing up, and I can do without the hassle, so I'l have another go later, sorry.

Kev.

Last edited by kevr32; 30th July 2017 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10th July 2016, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
speedingpanther is Playing with R34 RB install

Cars owned: MNP R33 GTR, White Spec2 Stagea
Project B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
Trust you to lower the tone, I posted this link else where but give his work a look, it'll be right up your street, Justin Fox

Don't k ow what you mean. Some cracking stuff going on I see. At home in the garage too "snigger"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th July 2016, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Evening all,

I'm going to put up a few more pictures of the bad bits, for those who are wondering why, from my side IF I manage to straighten this thing up it's nice to have something to look back on, just as a reminder of how bad things were.

I'll move round the underside of the floor pan, starting with a goodish bit of wheel arch,

Hoping a lot of this is just surface rust, sorry for the quality of some of these images,

This has definitely been up in the air a lot because the jacking damage is ridicules, this is just the first bit,

Having said that, the offside chassis rail is in better condition than mine was,

Nearside not so good though,

Must say, I have seen worse, I'm starting to feel a bit more positive about this,

But then again,

This is one of my best bits, I know it may be hard to believe, but this section of sill has actually been repaired, if you look really close you can just make out where,

I know this next image is blurred, but I've noticed that on nearly all 32's 33's and 34's Nissan only applied a band of stone guard about two foot wide down each side of the car, and didn't do the tunnel area, from a rust build up point of view, the difference between the area that had been coated with stone guard, to the one that hadn't, kinda points towards the stone guard being a worth while product, providing the coating remains in tacked and isn't damaged by jacking and the like,

Another view of the sill repair,

All this is going and as was pointed out before, it used to be black,

The damage that can be done by not jacking the car in the right place is staggering,

The boot area isn't too bad, apart from this little bit, looks like the cars been backed in to something in the past,

Poor image, but I don't think this is the factory speaker cut out,

And I managed to get the glass out, well most of it, now I need two windscreens, but hey, shit happens.

That's it for now, but I'm sure you'll agree, things can only get better from here on, hopefully...

Kev.
Dings likes this.

Last edited by kevr32; 31st July 2017 at 07:59 PM..
Old 11th July 2016, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
lightspeed is mapping Infinity
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
What is going on with that rear shelf????
Old 11th July 2016, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dings is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 Gtr vspec, Evo ix fq 340, 09 seat leon (daily)
Kev bud you must get bored easily when you need all these projects ....cant wait to see this one develop i know it will be as good as your other thread, even if you try to tell us it won't
Old 11th July 2016, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
barnsleyjohn is unaware they can edit their status

bit of tcut ha be done by next week
Old 12th July 2016, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for comments guys and taking the time to look,

I think I'm going to make another rotisserie for this one, especially with the extent of the damage to the underside, will make things a lot easier, but it will be a lot simpler version this time, and I've been thinking about having the shell sand blasted, (not by the idiots that did my trailer chassis) found someone who's done a couple before, the price ain't exactly cheap, but will save a massive amount of work and free up the time needed to do the repairs and additions I have planned.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I have anything else on this project, but I'll try my best to keep it going alongside the other one which is still my main focus.

Thanks once again for the comments, and I hope your all getting plenty of seat time, we don't get much sun these days, so make every second count,

Till next time,

Regards Kev.

Old 12th July 2016, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
rmiguelcar is unaware they can edit their status

Im pushing my brain to the limit and imagin the future of your 2 BNR32 and all I have is... that will be good
Old 13th July 2016, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Madaxgt is unaware they can edit their status

Kev

You are mad focus on the grey one! Bit of history about project B. I think all the big damage/repair on the shell was done in japan. I also think it has had a quarter on the drivers side. One repair, the one I painted black as it wasn't even painted after being 'fixed' I think, was done by the uk owner before me or him. (But it wouldn't surprise you if met the person I bought it off!!!). To be fair it only had to be bodged due to the old repair done in japan on the front of the sill.
I always jacked it up by the subframes as I was scared of the jack going through the floor looking at the sills etc.

On a side note Project B's replacement is almost done. Its so nice underneath with one little bit that needs sorting and then it will stay that way! It makes me cringe looking at those pics of the old blue one.

Keep up the good work and I like the bi-folding doors.
Old 14th July 2016, 05:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Austrian GTR is now EFR boosted
GTROC Member

Cars owned: CX5 CD175 Revolution Top, R32 GTR
Kev,

You're nuts mate

As if one resto project isn't enough, but this one seems to be a lot more challenging. How do you manage to keep your missus calm?? Mine would have kicked me out already

Curious to see what you're going to make out of this one

Cheers,

Leo

My GTR

Austrian GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 08:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
[email protected] is in pieces all over the garage
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Looking forward to this your work on the KH2 one has been brilliant!

Definitely a lot more challenging though but with enough time & patience it will be repairable so good to see another R32 being saved, I guess you can fabricate up sections as needed for all the under body stuff.

Only difficult bit will be the outer rear quarters unless you can get hold of some panels or are you taking a different direction & using a wide arch kit?
Old 15th July 2016, 06:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiguelcar View Post
Im pushing my brain to the limit and imagin the future of your 2 BNR32 and all I have is... that will be good
A cup half full guy, like it, I'll try not to disappoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaxgt View Post
Kev

You are mad focus on the grey one! Bit of history about project B. I think all the big damage/repair on the shell was done in japan. I also think it has had a quarter on the drivers side. One repair, the one I painted black as it wasn't even painted after being 'fixed' I think, was done by the uk owner before me or him. (But it wouldn't surprise you if met the person I bought it off!!!). To be fair it only had to be bodged due to the old repair done in japan on the front of the sill.
I always jacked it up by the subframes as I was scared of the jack going through the floor looking at the sills etc.

On a side note Project B's replacement is almost done. Its so nice underneath with one little bit that needs sorting and then it will stay that way! It makes me cringe looking at those pics of the old blue one.

Keep up the good work and I like the bi-folding doors.
Thanks for the bit of history in to the car, just want to clarify that that I wasn't trying to make out you were responsible for the damage, it's clear to see it was done a long time ago.

Hope everything goes OK with the move, and get some pics up of the new car, got your PM I'll get back to you later and have a chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian GTR View Post
Kev,

You're nuts mate

As if one resto project isn't enough, but this one seems to be a lot more challenging. How do you manage to keep your missus calm?? Mine would have kicked me out already

Curious to see what you're going to make out of this one

Cheers,

Leo
Hi Leo,

This is more of a sideline project and not going to be as full on as the other, something I can do while saving pennies for the kh2, as for the wife, she always comes first and is usually the one saying why don't you chill out for a bit and have an hour on the car, so no problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Looking forward to this your work on the KH2 one has been brilliant!

Definitely a lot more challenging though but with enough time & patience it will be repairable so good to see another R32 being saved, I guess you can fabricate up sections as needed for all the under body stuff.

Only difficult bit will be the outer rear quarters unless you can get hold of some panels or are you taking a different direction & using a wide arch kit?
Going to fit some kind of arch I think so good guess, still think I,m going to get it blasted, then decide what to do from there.

Thanks for the comments, my internet has been down at home for the last few days and I hate using my phone to do this, so sorry for not replying sooner.

Regards Kev.
Red Duke likes this.

Old 19th August 2016, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Evening all,

Well, It's been a stressful few weeks, working for a couple that if I never see them again it will be too soon, finally finished the job so had a couple of days in the garage as a way of relaxing.

I took my grey car off the rotisserie and put Project B on it, needed to take a better look at the task I was thinking of taking on, once I spun the shell over I got a better idea of what wanted doing, the damage was pretty much as first thought, but seeing as I had some time to myself I thought I'd make a start,

I decided to start with the chassis rails, but here's an idea of what I was up agaimst,

Not underseal as first thought, but masses of black silicon, nice touch,

going to save this bit for later I think,

My starting point,

I decided to remove the chassis sections to make it easier to straighten them, the first thing was to uncover the spot welds as I wanted to drill them out from above rather than below, due to the amount of damage limiting access from the under side,

Sound deadening removed, and a bit of a clean up with thinners, been here before I think,

Spot welds uncovered,

Bought a couple of these,

And drilled them out,

There were a couple that needed to be drilled from the underside,

First section removed,

And rather battered,

Drilled some more out,

Next one off,

And to be honest, not really caring if this goes back together or not made the decision to cut this section off to work on it a hell of a lot easier,

Then after spending quite a bit of time with a hammer and various blocks,

And this little bit turned out to be a real pain in the arse to get back in to shape,

I also masked the area inside the chassis section and gave it a coat of mastic 121,

During the re-welding process,

And Robert's your mothers brother,

Going to leave it there tonight, more to come tomorrow, I got a bit carried away with the next bit,

Regards Kev.
matt j, KING, Jags and 3 others like this.

Last edited by kevr32; 2nd August 2017 at 04:35 PM..