Step change in handling, comfort settings and Launch Control performance - read on - Page 9 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan GT-R > Technical Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31st January 2018, 10:58 PM   #161 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member

You kidding? It's an auto fold module

Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Items for sale:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gtr mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2018, 11:07 PM   #162 (permalink)
tgreer is drone mad
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr mart View Post
You kidding? It's an auto fold module
I meant when i lock/unlock. Sorry
Old 1st February 2018, 08:35 AM   #163 (permalink)
misters3 is loving the torque in the E70!
Registered

Cars owned: BMW 335D, R35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreer View Post
Mirrors? Pretty sure I've already got 4 lights at the rear!

I read your initial 1 week old post and wondered how much progress there was, did the novelty wear off etc?
Charles Charlie made an auto folding mirror module. I think it was then copied by others. But didn't keep up with its dev. Not sure if he still makes them. Or who does.

Hugh did a lots of changes for me. I had Litchfield suspension so the initial configuration on comfort was too bouncy. The only downside was the granularity of settings below 50mph which not essential would have been nice to have. I believe v2.0 might have that.

Old 1st February 2018, 08:36 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I meant when i lock/unlock. Sorry
That's how it works on my car!
Old 1st February 2018, 10:19 AM   #165 (permalink)
tgreer is drone mad
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misters3 View Post
Charles Charlie made an auto folding mirror module. I think it was then copied by others. But didn't keep up with its dev. Not sure if he still makes them. Or who does.

Hugh did a lots of changes for me. I had Litchfield suspension so the initial configuration on comfort was too bouncy. The only downside was the granularity of settings below 50mph which not essential would have been nice to have. I believe v2.0 might have that.
Ah. I need me one of them.
Old 1st February 2018, 01:05 PM   #166 (permalink)
Johnny G is here. Hi!
Registered

Cars owned: Nissan GT-R, BMW 730d, BMW 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by misters3 View Post

I'll reaffirm my interest if that feature comes out!

2017 GT-R - Daytona Blue, Recaro Edition - Litchfield Stage 4.5, Alcon BBK: 754bhp, 642lb/ft
Johnny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 08:11 PM   #167 (permalink)
Hugh Keir – PTSYS is getting old
Single Product Trader

Cars owned: R32 GTR Race Car
Quote:
To make my daily drive and other journeys less harsh for starters...
tgreer,

Easy to provide you with a much more comfortable option than is provided by the OEM comfort map and prepare maps that suit your driving style on the Sport and Race maps.

My email is hugh at ptsys dot uk if you would like to discuss further.

DSC Sport equipped R35 launching at TOTB

name="wmode" value="transparent"> To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Hugh Keir – PTSYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2018, 06:29 PM   #168 (permalink)
Single Product Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
I'll reaffirm my interest if that feature comes out!
Johnny,

The speed control options remains unchanged. Programming starts to kick in in the 10MPH before the first active cell, so between 50 and 60MPH.

The low G-Force map, combined with the range that the shocks are programmed to work with, are the most active settings below 60 MPH and are the main tools to adjust performance at low speeds.

I have requested an option to provide control at lower speed however this feature has yet to be included.

As a company DSC Sport tends to focus on what is required for race performance rather than road, so not certain when we will see a change to the low speed functionality.

name="wmode" value="transparent"> To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 7th April 2018, 07:56 AM   #169 (permalink)
dazzabb is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Just ordered my DSC box from Hugh, looking forward to trying it out.
Old 9th April 2018, 06:35 PM   #170 (permalink)
Single Product Trader

Thanks Daz,

Looking forward to delivering some great road and track manners for your car.

Fitted a DSC Sport controller for a local customer yesterday, beautiful MY17 in Katsura Orange.

We have some particularly challenging undulating roads just north of me that were spoiling the joy of driving his GT-R.

A short quote from his email to me this morning:- Car is so much more compliant over the bumps now and you can definitely feel things stiffen up on sweeping bends and under braking.

Hopefully he will chime in on here with more .................

Cheers

Hugh
motors and dazzabb like this.

Old 9th April 2018, 10:22 PM   #171 (permalink)
GTRRuss is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Big thanks to Hugh for taking the time on a Sunday to supply and fit my DSC Controller.

My car is a 2017 with Litchfield suspension and handling kit and I am running TE37's with 285/345 MPS4S

The Litchfield suspension mods addressed the vague turn in/understeer, poor high speed stability and bounce I was experiancing but still left the car a bit too firm in comfort mode for everyday use on our horrendous local roads.

Hugh programed my DSC with a map that he felt would suit my suspension set up and my requirements of a softer ride in comfort mode along with the ability to firm things up for trackdays. He described the map settings as, Comfort for all road driving, Normal for a wet Knockhill and Race for a dry Knockhill!

Since Hugh fitted the DSC controller yesterday I haven't had a chance to properly try the car out in normal or race modes yet but the drive home in comfort mode was a huge improvement. The crashiness over potholes and speed bumps at slow speeds and the bumpiness on uneven roads at medium speeds are both vastly improved. You can definitely feel things stiffen up as the G increases on cornering and under heavy breaking.

I will post more feedback once I have had a chance to try it out properly but so far I'm extremely happy with it.

Russ
Mookistar likes this.
Old 10th April 2018, 12:12 PM   #172 (permalink)
L6DJX is reducing weight and getting stiffer ;)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 2015 GTR Litchfield tuned
Thanks for the review

I have one fitted also and cant rate it enough...
I have lower springs on MY15 shocks and the litcho handling kit...
Car turns in so much better

How long had you had the car on Litcho handling and Sus kit before getting this upgrade from hugh?
Old 10th April 2018, 01:49 PM   #173 (permalink)
GTRRuss is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Only had the Litchfield kit a couple of weeks before fitting the DSC controller but after reading this thread I had pretty much made up my mind I was having it before my car returned from Litchfields!!

It only took a 10 minute run in Hughs car to appreciate just how much more compliant the suspension could be with the DSC controller fitted.

Russ
Old 10th April 2018, 07:54 PM   #174 (permalink)
Single Product Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L6DJX View Post
Thanks for the review

I have one fitted also and cant rate it enough...
I have lower springs on MY15 shocks and the litcho handling kit...
Car turns in so much better

How long had you had the car on Litcho handling and Sus kit before getting this upgrade from hugh?
L6DJX,

Am intrigued by the different spring rates offered on different year cars.

I know you have played around with different spring rates.

Do you know which spring rates you currently have fitted to to your car and do you think they are optimal for road and track?

Cheers

Hugh

Old 10th April 2018, 07:55 PM   #175 (permalink)
mike746 is @Mike746 on instagram
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

can this controller be fitted to a my13 car with standard suspension
Old 10th April 2018, 09:21 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike746 View Post
Yes
Old 11th April 2018, 07:28 AM   #177 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Keir – PTSYS View Post
L6DJX,

Am intrigued by the different spring rates offered on different year cars.

I know you have played around with different spring rates.

Do you know which spring rates you currently have fitted to to your car and do you think they are optimal for road and track?

Cheers

Hugh
Hi Hugh, i have these

https://www.kamispeed.com/Swift-Spor.../swf.4n912.htm

They are great! They lower the car, making it look and handle better nayway.. but they are also Sliiiiiightly stiffer than the 15 'softer' springs as opposed to the early GTR rock hard shocks...
I am used to firm rides (i had a mini JCW challenge track car that was like riding on the stiffest springs you could find) so when i got my MY15 GTR i was surprised by the suppleness...
So i contacted Hugh to try and get the best of both worlds and i bloody got it.
The new DSC 'comfort' mode really is comfort. It can take the B roads and motorways like you're in an S class, but go to R mode (my Fave) and hugh has given me a 'track' setting so my R is probably harder than most other's on here, and it is great, the car turns in great, the initial understeer mid corner seems to have (almost) gone.

I feel like now, without spending a fortune on lets say the Tractive RTX (which i do still want at some point), the LitchoBilstein combo or the Ohlins, (all >£5k btw) you really cant get a better change in handling than the DSC controller and, I will say this as i am biased, some lowering springs such as these ones...)

I do about 6-8 track days a year, i use my car as my daily driver so it gets about 10,000miles a year anyway for work usage, and i also get my dog in the back seat, so this gets me the best of both worlds, gentle driving, excited road driving, or track use.

The last thing i would say is i have noticed the braking distance decrease by 2m and 3m respectively from 30-0 and 50-0mph, since fitting this controller...
Hugh is clever than me and will probably have a reason why, but thats an added bonus....
Old 12th April 2018, 07:27 PM   #178 (permalink)
Single Product Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike746 View Post
Mike,

Most of the DSC Sport users have standard shocks on their cars.

Clearly there are a number of Litchfield suspension users that want a further refinement.

The maps that I fit are designed to suit each drivers preferences, so can be quite different on similarly specced cars.

The most difficult cars to map are the 2017 cars with standard suspension with run-flat tyres removed, they are very soft in this configuration.

My feeling is that the latest cars would benefit from stiffer springs which would allow more scope to adjust the shockabsorber settings.

Old 15th April 2018, 06:21 PM   #179 (permalink)
Single Product Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L6DJX View Post
Hi Hugh, i have these

https://www.kamispeed.com/Swift-Spor.../swf.4n912.htm

They are great! They lower the car, making it look and handle better nayway.. but they are also Sliiiiiightly stiffer than the 15 'softer' springs as opposed to the early GTR rock hard shocks...

I am used to firm rides (i had a mini JCW challenge track car that was like riding on the stiffest springs you could find) so when i got my MY15 GTR i was surprised by the suppleness...

So i contacted Hugh to try and get the best of both worlds and i bloody got it.

The new DSC 'comfort' mode really is comfort. It can take the B roads and motorways like you're in an S class, but go to R mode (my Fave) and hugh has given me a 'track' setting so my R is probably harder than most other's on here, and it is great, the car turns in great, the initial understeer mid corner seems to have (almost) gone.

I feel like now, without spending a fortune on lets say the Tractive RTX (which i do still want at some point), the LitchoBilstein combo or the Ohlins, (all >£5k btw) you really cant get a better change in handling than the DSC controller and, I will say this as i am biased, some lowering springs such as these ones...)

I do about 6-8 track days a year, i use my car as my daily driver so it gets about 10,000miles a year anyway for work usage, and i also get my dog in the back seat, so this gets me the best of both worlds, gentle driving, excited road driving, or track use.

The last thing i would say is i have noticed the braking distance decrease by 2m and 3m respectively from 30-0 and 50-0mph, since fitting this controller...
Hugh is clever than me and will probably have a reason why, but thats an added bonus....
Really interesting to hear your braking distance has reduced since fitting the DSC Sport controller.

My thoughts are that braking performance has improved through the increased response from the front shocks under braking.

Looking at the various spring rate options, there seems to be very little published information on how the spring rates have changed over the years, other than the anecdotal comments about the later cars being softer and more compliant.

Some aftermarket springs are quoted as very soft for the later cars, this may be a reflection of the softer springs fitted to the standard cars.

Here is a sample of the information I found

2009 OEM GT-R: has Progressive Spring Rates
Front Spring Rate: 14.3 kg/mm (800 lbs/in)static
Rear Spring Rate: 6.93 kg/mm (388 lbs/in)static

NISMO GT 3 Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers
Front Spring Rate: 18 kg/mm (1000 lbs/in.)
Rear Spring Rate: 8 kg/mm(445 lbs/in.)

Swift Sport Mach Spring Set (2015-on) (Swift Part # 4N912)
Front Spring Rate: 9 kg/mm (503lbs/in)
Rear Spring Rate: 4.5kg/mm (251lbs/in)

Swift Sport Springs (2009-2010) (Swift Part # 4N017)
Front Spring Rate: 15.0 kg/mm (840 lbs/in)
Rear Spring Rate: 7.0 kg/mm (392 lbs/in)

Swift Spec R (2011-2014) (Swift Part # 4N017R)
Front Spring Rate: 20.0 kg/mm (1117 lbs/in)
Rear Spring Rate: 11.0 kg/mm (615 lbs/in)

Looks like the Swift Sport Springs are fractionally stiffer than the CBA springs, with the Nismo GT3 springs being slightly stiffer again.

The Swift Sport Mach Spring Set looks to be softer than the standard springs fitted to the earlier cars.

L6DJX,

Do you know which spring kit you had fitted to your car?

Old 16th April 2018, 07:14 AM   #180 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

i have these Hugh
Swift Sport Mach Spring Set (2015-on) (Swift Part # 4N912)
Front Spring Rate: 9 kg/mm (503lbs/in)
Rear Spring Rate: 4.5kg/mm (251lbs/in)
As you suggest, firmer than 2015
but
spongier than 2009 oem
I think they do a good job for the british roads, and handle okay on track.
Will want to upgrade to full coilovers in the future but for now will enjoy these

Probably be giving you a call later in the year for the tractive ones Hugh
Do you have info on the spring rates fitted to those?