make r33 legal in us - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline and Stagea "How to" and DIY guides
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StarkTemplar

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th September 2016, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
bloodwriter is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Smile make r33 legal in us

Hey i was wondering how much will it take to do this
VVVV
h t t p : / / w w w . n i c o c l u b . c o m / a r t i c l e s / N H T S A - u p d a t e . p d f

i was wondering since the gtr r33 1995 is now exempt from emission testing since the car is 21 years old but only if the engine and emission system and the few things that are needed seem kinda simple just pretty much wielding and adding braces and making the conversion from metric to imperial.any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 24th September 2016, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
jdm4life is fully aware they can edit their status but doesn't see the point
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwriter View Post
Hey i was wondering how much will it take to do this
VVVV
h t t p : / / w w w . n i c o c l u b . c o m / a r t i c l e s / N H T S A - u p d a t e . p d f

i was wondering since the gtr r33 1995 is now exempt from emission testing since the car is 21 years old but only if the engine and emission system and the few things that are needed seem kinda simple just pretty much wielding and adding braces and making the conversion from metric to imperial.any help would be greatly appreciated
Wait 4 years? Thought they have to be 25......

Last edited by jdm4life; 24th September 2016 at 06:46 PM..
jdm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4life View Post
Wait 4 years? Thought they have to be 25......
they need to be 25 years to be OK with all laws but 21 years and stock to bypass emissions and that was the primarily the reason why the motorex one are so expensive since they have OBD II systems
"A vehicle is exempted if it has been 21 years or more since its original production year and it is in its original unmodified condition. Vehicles in any condition may be excluded if they were manufactured prior to the year in which EPA's regulations for the class of vehicle took effect. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control systems. Upon entry, the importer must file an EPA Form 3520-1 with Customs and declare code "E" on the form." and since the NHHTSA allowed the importation of most r33 then there should be one more year left till these become available I am currently doing a go fund me since i believe this is feasible. heres the link if you guys would like to donate gofundme.com/2qypnsc

Last edited by bloodwriter; 24th September 2016 at 08:01 PM..
bloodwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th September 2016, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Users

list of things needed

instrument cluster
*needs to say brakes instead ece and km/h to mph 60.62 usd
shock padding between dash and frame of dash
*no idea
brace the seats to prevent movement
* i belive you can get a imporved seat 400 usd ish
airbags
*looked up the part ids only found catalyst system and furom for gtrs aswell
seat belt anchorage
*i would assume a harness system would work 279.99 usd for bar and 100 ish usd for for the harness
windshield retention
*which would cost 14.97 usd
side imapct dunamic
*i think a SD6-1392 would work 182.99 usd
fuel system integrity
*vent valve is 31.75 usd and canister is 192.92 usd

total for the parts i could find 1263.24 usd + shipping
Old 25th September 2016, 03:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mr.Carnage is 840HP R33 GTR

You need crash bars in the doors, reflectors, emission stuff, etc....

Contact GK Technologies who is out in Cali or JK technologies who is out in Maryland. By the time you try to make one Federal Legal, you are looking over 50G+.

There are a few Motorex R33's floating around in the states.
Old 25th September 2016, 03:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Carnage View Post
You need crash bars in the doors, reflectors, emission stuff, etc....

Contact GK Technologies who is out in Cali or JK technologies who is out in Maryland. By the time you try to make one Federal Legal, you are looking over 50G+.

There are a few Motorex R33's floating around in the states.
the epa has less strict rules as opposed to the NHHTSA and DoT which states that after 21 years a unmodified or epa approved engine and emission control system is legal so the most expensive part (the ODB II System) is no longer needed and according to the documents i provided the necessary things needed to make it legal are mostly diy stuff like creating a anti intrusion bar in the back with pipes and some metal and gluing down the windshield with adhesive. i already talked about this talking to jdm4life above the list i made for the necessary things (which i need to edit since i put on somethings which weren't needed at all) where i explained the exact something i am explaining to you
Old 25th September 2016, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mr.Carnage is 840HP R33 GTR

Quote:
the epa has less strict rules as opposed to the NHHTSA and DoT which states that after 21 years a unmodified or epa approved engine and emission control system is legal so the most expensive part (the ODB II System) is no longer needed and according to the documents i provided the necessary things needed to make it legal are mostly diy stuff like creating a anti intrusion bar in the back with pipes and some metal and gluing down the windshield with adhesive. i already talked about this talking to jdm4life above the list i made for the necessary things (which i need to edit since i put on somethings which weren't needed at all) where i explained the exact something i am explaining to you
I have owned a federal motorex car. You should try your posting on a few other Facebook USA skyline groups for a faster response. A question like that gets asked 101 times a day. Even Google gets tired of searching.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StatesideSkylines/
Old 25th September 2016, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
I have owned a federal motorex car. You should try your posting on a few other Facebook USA skyline groups for a faster response. A question like that gets asked 101 times a day. Even Google gets tired of searching.

i already know what it takes to get it federalized the only problem now is having a registered importer to do it for me and them not making it super expensive to weld some pieces of metal and replacing the instrument cluster
p.s i sent a request to facebook group
Old 26th September 2016, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
AcelineR32 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
i already know what it takes to get it federalized the only problem now is having a registered importer to do it for me and them not making it super expensive to weld some pieces of metal and replacing the instrument cluster
p.s i sent a request to facebook group
There are a few R33's that got brought over early but most are waiting still for all the stuff to check out and I am sure if they do sell them they will be very expensive. Unless you have a ton of money, I would just wait. If you happen to already have the car store it... then and wait. Importers are no going to go through all of the extra leg work without charging a TON of money.
Old 26th September 2016, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcelineR32 View Post
There are a few R33's that got brought over early but most are waiting still for all the stuff to check out and I am sure if they do sell them they will be very expensive. Unless you have a ton of money, I would just wait. If you happen to already have the car store it... then and wait. Importers are no going to go through all of the extra leg work without charging a TON of money.
is it legal to have the car in a storage since dont storages need a title or registration to keep them
Old 2nd October 2016, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
AcelineR32 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Quote:
is it legal to have the car in a storage since dont storages need a title or registration to keep them
Im not sure but you have to get the car into the country first and their is probably a way to do it. There are port authorities you could call and ask them.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
skylineboi is probably tinkering in the garage.

It does not need to be 25... if you buy one through a registered importer built from Jan 1996 through Dec 1998 the importer has the ability to make them street legal.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
skylineboi is probably tinkering in the garage.

I will try to find the link but if you Google jalopnik 4 ways to import a skyline, eventually you will come across the official customs listing for all vehicles eligible to be imported.
Old 11th October 2016, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
synistrGT-R is glad spring is here

Cars owned: 2015 Chevrolet Z71, 2003 CLK430 AMG, MY02 Subaru WRX , 1995 R33 GTR
Main | Rivsu Imports - Classic JDM Importer in FL, USA
They have imported a couple of LMs as well as 4 1999 MPII R-34 V-SPEC. The R33 LM can be a daily while the R34 falls into the Show & Display. They can answer any questions that you may have.
Old 14th October 2016, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
StarkTemplar is content
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: 1990 Skyline GT-R
Here is the easiest breakdown of all skylines that can be imported into the US if you want to follow the NHTSA and EPA rules. I won't get into the various ways people have gotten around these rules.

R32s that are 25+ years. NHTSA and EPA exempt.
R33s that fall under VCP32. Soon approaching EPA exemption of 21 years. Still need NHTSA modifications by registered importer. I requested quote from JK Technologies. They quoted 26,000 USD for NHTSA modifications and 10,000 USD for EPA modifications.

R34s that are 1999 MPII V-SPEC only. GTR registry says there are 282 of these cars. NHTSA show and display exemption. Not EPA exempt.

VCP 32 : How To Import a 1996 - 1998 Nissan Skyline GTR or GTS To the USA | Vehicle Import and Car Importing FAQ
Show Or Display: 1999 Nissan Skyline GTR R34 V-SPEC Early Model Limited Edition - Approved

Quote:
Im not sure but you have to get the car into the country first and their is probably a way to do it. There are port authorities you could call and ask them.
This is a common question that comes up. An important distinction for the US is the federal government controls the import of goods into the country. The state governments control titling and registering of motor vehicles. The feds don't care if you aren't going to title or register the car or break it into a million pieces. They won't let you import it if it doesn't fit the above criteria.

I'm not trying to put you down. It is a complicated subject (surprising for the land of the free huh?) and I welcome you to do your own research and let me know if you have any corrections or different experiences.
9TR likes this.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Supertec is unaware they can edit their status

Question

Quote:

Speak to Sean Morris at IVI. What he doesn't know is not worth knowing.