BHP - how much is too much? (for the 'street') - Page 4 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th May 2017, 07:19 AM   #61 (permalink)
joz
joz is missing his R32
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

power will never be too much but you would have to compromise on reliability and drivability
Old 1st July 2017, 10:25 AM   #62 (permalink)
Heku is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: LHD '89 R32 GTR, 712bhp '98 R33 V-Spec, 910bhp '91 "AS Mori" R32 GT-R
Well well well. The eternal question again. The bottom line is that there's no such thing as too much power. Really. It's all about what you're willing to compromise to have more. A reliable, streetable big power build is never really cheap, considering the complete package, including drivetrain, but when executed properly it has very few downsides.

500-600bhp seems to be the sweet spot for most RB26 builds; relatively affordable and quite reliable when driven sensibly, and it can even be accomplished with bolt-ons and careful mapping. Beyond 700bhp is all about choices; streetability can be compromised unless elaborate measures like increasing displacement and implementing variable cam timing are taken, and that's beyond what the stock transmission can take even when driven (relatively) sensibly.

But being able to use power on public roads? Heck, yes. Plenty of discretion will be required but whenever I've been driving 700, 800 or even 1000bhp+ cars, I can't remember a day I hadn't had a chance to use all that power, nor missed many of those chances intentionally. Power is highly addictive, there's no way around it. A well-built GT-R is one of the finest machines in existence to experience what I call "Millennium Falcon -effect". Choosing between R34 turbos and only a slightly more elaborate 2860-7 build would be a no-brainer in my book, especially because the latter in stock displacement is still perfectly streetable with no major adverse effects. The area under the power curve and breadth of powerband is what it's all about.
Old 25th July 2017, 09:15 PM   #63 (permalink)
Skylinedragcar is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Talking

At the moment I'm running 850bhp on pump fuel but hoping to have over 1200bhp on race fuel this should be fun on the road oh and forgot the nos on top lol

Old 25th July 2017, 10:35 PM   #64 (permalink)
truupR is wanting more low
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinedragcar View Post
At the moment I'm running 850bhp on pump fuel but hoping to have over 1200bhp on race fuel this should be fun on the road oh and forgot the nos on top lol
That's uh.... yeah. A tad excessive in my humble opinion to say the least but whatever floats your boat. Must be fun to drive in traffic.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:20 AM   #65 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
That's uh.... yeah. A tad excessive in my humble opinion to say the least but whatever floats your boat. Must be fun to drive in traffic.
And the wet!!!

TT
truupR likes this.
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote