Both Rear Tyres losing pressure after 2 weeks? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th February 2017, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
gtr0515 is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Both Rear Tyres losing pressure after 2 weeks?

Hi Guys

Not had a chance to run the car down to a tyre fitter yet, but both rear alloys seem to loose air pressure?

filled to 35psi and 2 weeks later they are down to 15psi - suspect that the valves may be faulty I cant seen any obvious rim cracks or anything

Anybody else experienced this?

Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
-SeanS is missing his GTR!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 2012 Stage 4.25 GTR, 2015 Mercedes C300h AMG Line PP
What tyres are they and when were they fitted? I had a slow leak on my 305 section Michelin Pilot Super Sport for a while. I asked Litchfield to check it out and it turned out to be the barcode that the manufacturer applies to the tyres, which means that it doesn't sit flush and create a perfect seal.
Old 25th February 2017, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mine are Michelin pilot sports

they were fitted they the previous keeper in Dec 2015 i think

Old 25th February 2017, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Did u simply remove the barcode and refit?
Old 25th February 2017, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr0515 View Post
Mine are Michelin pilot sports

they were fitted they the previous keeper in Dec 2015 i think
Given they've been on teh car for over a year the most likely explanation is you have a simple puncture in both tyres.

Nip to a tyre place and get them fixed.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr0515 View Post
Did u simply remove the barcode and refit?
As Andy has said if they've been on over a year it's likely that it's a puncture. However, what I would say is my leak only manifested itself after around 4 months or so. I was told that depending on which part of the tyre ends up sitting against the ground when you park can dislodge where the barcode is etc.

If it is that, it can be solved by either heating the barcode and pulling it off or just applying extra bead sealant over it when refitting (Though getting the barcode off is obviously better)
Old 25th February 2017, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 R35 GT-R & Mitsi Evo IX MR FQ-360 (not standard)
I would have thought that the bar code would be removed during initial fitting tbh. If it were in a place that it could compromise the seal anyway ...

You might as well try the fairy liquid in water method first and see if you can identify if the leak is coming from the valve or the outer rim. If you cannot see this then it possibly is a puncture or a seal issue on the inner rim. Given the amount of air that you are losing, if this is the problem you will undoubtedly see it.

You could also try over inflating the tyres (maybe to about 45 PSI) to see if that can help seal the tyres back onto the rim - remember to deflate them to the correct pressure before driving though.

None of these may work but they're cheap, easy and quick to do ...
Old 25th February 2017, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo9lution View Post
I would have thought that the bar code would be removed during initial fitting tbh. If it were in a place that it could compromise the seal anyway ...

You might as well try the fairy liquid in water method first and see if you can identify if the leak is coming from the valve or the outer rim. If you cannot see this then it possibly is a puncture or a seal issue on the inner rim. Given the amount of air that you are losing, if this is the problem you will undoubtedly see it.

You could also try over inflating the tyres (maybe to about 45 PSI) to see if that can help seal the tyres back onto the rim - remember to deflate them to the correct pressure before driving though.

None of these may work but they're cheap, easy and quick to do ...
The barcodes are always right where the bead seal is and aren't always easy to remove. They often need to have a solvent applied and then a screwdriver placed underneath to tease them off. Most of the time they are just left on with no issues however every now and again they do cause leaks and the tyre needs reseating. Michelin actually released a statement at one point saying they were looking at creating a label that is more easily removed although there was no date on this so I'm unsure if this is still an issue.
Old 25th February 2017, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

3 slowly deflating MPSS's here too. I get about a month until the Tyre warning is triggered. They were OK for 6 months and then went like this. I doubt it's 3 punctures, decided that it's more trouble getting them off than just inflating every month.
Old 25th February 2017, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat52 View Post
3 slowly deflating MPSS's here too. I get about a month until the Tyre warning is triggered. They were OK for 6 months and then went like this. I doubt it's 3 punctures, decided that it's more trouble getting them off than just inflating every month.
That's quite odd, probably the tpms is leaking, you could try the leak test (washing up fluid+water - checking for bubbles around the base of the valve stem) and then try tightening the valve a 1/4turn and retesting.
Old 25th February 2017, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

I have the same issue since fitting mpss 8 months ago - 2 are leaking round the inside edge (found this when painting them) - my friend ex tyre fitter said try pumping up to 65psi they may seat better ( let down to required pressure after ) if not get them checked as some garages dont clean the rims properly when changing tyres and leave bits of rubber stuck to the rim, then the new ones dont seal properly
Old 25th February 2017, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Simb is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lloyd View Post
I have the same issue since fitting mpss 8 months ago - 2 are leaking round the inside edge (found this when painting them) - my friend ex tyre fitter said try pumping up to 65psi they may seat better ( let down to required pressure after ) if not get them checked as some garages dont clean the rims properly when changing tyres and leave bits of rubber stuck to the rim, then the new ones dont seal properly
Did have the same issue on two of my MPSS, they were re-seated and this solved the problem. Very much doubt your that unlucky to get two punctures.

Si
Old 26th February 2017, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brad1979 is unaware they can edit their status

I always take my car to a friend who has tyre garage, whenever he changes the tyres he cleans the wheel up with a dremmel type tool as he said the magnesium wheels are susceptible to surface corrosion build up especially when the roads are salted it's weird is not like it eats into the wheel more like it sits on the surface and overtime breaks the seal causing slow air leak. Since he started giving the wheels this clean up no loss of pressure between tyre changes.

Last edited by Brad1979; 26th February 2017 at 11:36 AM..
Brad1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
nick the tubman is feeling very pleased !
Registered

Cars owned: R35 GTR `10. R33 GTR v-spec Road & Track. R33 GTR Race Car
weird... I had EXACTLY the same issue with my MPSS. had to put air in every 2-3 weeks. so annoying !
just could not get them to seal properly. had to resort to tyre glue in the end which is really messy.

since then I have gone back to dunlops and they never leak air. must be something to do with the bead design.

easy to check though. wip the wheel off and mix some warm water with a drop of fairy liquid (other brands are available) and squirt all round the rim. leave for a minute or so... if you see tiny air bubbles, thats your leak. mark the position with a pen. flip the wheel and repeat the process..
I found both my rear MPSS to be leaking from the rim. had then refitted, but it started again. and gain... and again. resorted to tyre glue in the end.