GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Modding - what next? (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/499625-modding-what-next.html)

james_barker 25th February 2017 06:30 PM

Modding - what next?

The gtr I recently bought was stage 4 and I'm wondering where to start with mods. I'm not into dragging so chasing big numbers isn't necessarily the best way for me. More about making the existing power more accessible.

Been thinking about Litchfield suspension setup or carbon ceramic brakes.

Welcome all personal views and experiences of what some other members have done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Daytona99 25th February 2017 06:43 PM

What's the current set-up regarding suspension and geometry as well as the braking system?!

james_barker 25th February 2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytona99 (Post 5173465)
What's the current set-up regarding suspension and geometry as well as the braking system?!

Standard. Got Alcons and pagid pads all round though.

charles charlie 25th February 2017 06:48 PM

What year is your car and what will you do with it (just Road or a bit of track too?)

james_barker 25th February 2017 06:56 PM

Mostly road but I do plan to do a couple track days this year.

Tin 25th February 2017 07:47 PM

I'd do the suspension and ARBs, they'll make a lot more difference and keep the car flatter & inspire confidence. It'll also help with the road characteristics too.

Brakes - you have the uprated discs & pads, get some good brake fluid and some stainless hoses. The Alcon superkit is an awesome bit of kit and great on track and road.
With ceramics, you'll need some decent cooling, as the heavy weight tends to heat them up quickly (good), but consistent use on track will need them cooled quickly too.

twobadmice 25th February 2017 11:18 PM

Treat yourself to the Litchfield handling kit and uprated roll bars.

DocT 25th February 2017 11:23 PM

Track day/driver tuition? Probably the best bang for your buck if you want to go faster.

james_barker 26th February 2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocT (Post 5173993)
Track day/driver tuition? Probably the best bang for your buck if you want to go faster.

Sound advice. I'm already booked on the catd course at the end of March! :)

Kieranrob 26th February 2017 08:59 AM

If your doing track days then look into a tranny cooler as the transmission temps climb when your on the track. I also have the Alcon 400mm and Pagid RS29 pads and they have been a good combination on track but if you can afford it go for the superkit

Also if your stage 4 then a bigger intercooler would be a good modification too. Am the same stage as you and a bigger intercooler is next on my list

james_barker 26th February 2017 03:34 PM

Audio upgrade by r35 is also an option. Anyone got one? Feelings on value?

Wheels 27th February 2017 08:23 PM

Ha...Did not take you long to get the bug James...I think if I still owned it I would be thinking about the Litchfield susp kit and uprated ARB;s. Maybe some brake cooling as well if you found them getting a bit long on a trackday.

By the way it already has Castrol SRF brake fluid and goodridge hoses as supplied by Ian Litchfield.

Maybe do your driver training with CAT, get a a trackday and see how you feel about the car, does it lack power/brakes/handling or is anything overheating?? Then plan from that starting point.

By the way on track those R888's will trounce them Michelins on a dry track. Pure physics of the amount of rubber in contact with the track wins it every time.

Alex C 27th February 2017 11:33 PM

Put some money into something that will get you a return