Engine oil cooler - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By charles charlie

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th February 2017, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
ben15476 is going through tyres fast
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Engine oil cooler

Hi,
Does anyone know if oil flow to the engine oil cooler is operated thermostatically, or it is always flowing through?

Thanks
Ben
Old 26th February 2017, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status

Oil is always flowing.

There just air cooled from the hole in the bumper.
Old 27th February 2017, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Skint.
I have been considering putting an electric fan on the back of it for use at low speed or in the pits to cool it down, but worried that it will restrict air flow when the car is moving quickly.

Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Old 27th February 2017, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
First thing would be an upgraded core.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Has the Litchfield cooler on it already
Old 28th February 2017, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Coolio. Heat is the biggest negative to the R35 on track. I've added both the Litchfield cooler and a bigger water radiator in the hope it'll prolong the time until heat saturation occurs.

That said I'm not expecting a huge improvement though. It'll just delay the inevitable.

The factory lines are behind the core so I'm not sure you'd be able to fit a fan in and if you could I'd question how effective it might be given it's size. I know some tuners run two cores to try and reduce temps.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28th February 2017, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep I have done the same, got a better cooler and bigger rad but as you say it just delays it a bit longer.
I have seen the AMS guys use another cooler on the passenger side linked across the front as well as using a small electric fan on the back.

I am going to try it, as I think that when I am letting it cool down in the pits (engine running) it will speed up cooling time and maybe I will not need the heater on full blast!

Thanks for the response Charlie
Old 1st March 2017, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status

Coolers

Would it not be worth assessing the cores you have in both radiator and oil cooler to see if theres more efficient cores out there?
Old 1st March 2017, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Coolio. Heat is the biggest negative to the R35 on track. I've added both the Litchfield cooler and a bigger water radiator in the hope it'll prolong the time until heat saturation occurs.

That said I'm not expecting a huge improvement though. It'll just delay the inevitable.

The factory lines are behind the core so I'm not sure you'd be able to fit a fan in and if you could I'd question how effective it might be given it's size. I know some tuners run two cores to try and reduce temps.
No idea if it would even be feasible but I've wondered what routing the AC through a heat exchanger with the oil would do? I think to have an impact you'd have to pre cool some water then save it for when the engine oil temp hits a level deemed on the limit so let the rads take as much strain as possible then get very cold water involved on demand to try to take only the excess heat away. Probably wouldn't buy you enough to be worth the effort though.
Old 2nd March 2017, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Naw
Naw is unaware they can edit their status

Guys I track my car a lot and in very hot climate down south of Spain , some days over 40 deg C , all you guys saying helps a lot to cool down and prevent heat soak , I use on my car an upgraded Forge water rad a second inline engine oil cooler , all this will help but nothing beats having (mine is ) a Forge trans cooler which I use a manual on switch (at 80 deg C put it on) and I can track car 20 min hard with temps always staying below or max 120 deg C . As you cool down your trans oil , which is cooled be rad water you will keep water and oil temp really way down . When I have tracked my car in UK with its much colder temp I could keep going much much longer and temps would not raise at all . My car is tracked min 700 bhp and max 1100 bhp , as long as trans pump keeps working your perfect , if it fails which mine has after 3 years I can do 4/5 laps max before needing to cool down , from experience of tracking my Gtr over 6 years nothing beats a trans cooler , hope this help any of you .
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Been running a trans cooler for 6 years on track and it helps with trans cooling certainly. By adding another cooling radiator you are reducing the effect of trans fluid temps on overall temps but in my experience oil and water temps still get excessive. Heat soak is inevitable in the R35 all you do is delay it.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller

Old 2nd March 2017, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naw View Post
Guys I track my car a lot and in very hot climate down south of Spain , some days over 40 deg C , all you guys saying helps a lot to cool down and prevent heat soak , I use on my car an upgraded Forge water rad a second inline engine oil cooler , all this will help but nothing beats having (mine is ) a Forge trans cooler which I use a manual on switch (at 80 deg C put it on) and I can track car 20 min hard with temps always staying below or max 120 deg C . As you cool down your trans oil , which is cooled be rad water you will keep water and oil temp really way down . When I have tracked my car in UK with its much colder temp I could keep going much much longer and temps would not raise at all . My car is tracked min 700 bhp and max 1100 bhp , as long as trans pump keeps working your perfect , if it fails which mine has after 3 years I can do 4/5 laps max before needing to cool down , from experience of tracking my Gtr over 6 years nothing beats a trans cooler , hope this help any of you .
My self and Adam have similar trans coolers, I believe Adam stayed below 105 deg C at Spa in a session that used a whole tank of fuel, ive not had a chance to use mine in anger, both use a gear pump and fans my temp switch is 93 degree.
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Naw
Naw is unaware they can edit their status

Coolers

As I meantion before on 4 trackdays I have done in UK , 2 at silverstone and 2 at Castle Coombe water temp just at 95/100 and trans never over 110 , engine oil around 90/92 , its really cold there , down south Spain and portugal we get over 40 C and car max trans wont be over 120 , in Spa and Hockenhiem or anywere in Germany as you say it stays cold , Forge auto switchs on at 104 so I just manually switch on at 80 . If the trans pump fails or forget to switch on I can do like 5 laps max and trans temp will be going up from 130 , for me its the best upgrade ever but I have everything upgraded .
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naw View Post
As I meantion before on 4 trackdays I have done in UK , 2 at silverstone and 2 at Castle Coombe water temp just at 95/100 and trans never over 110 , engine oil around 90/92 , its really cold there , down south Spain and portugal we get over 40 C and car max trans wont be over 120 , in Spa and Hockenhiem or anywere in Germany as you say it stays cold , Forge auto switchs on at 104 so I just manually switch on at 80 . If the trans pump fails or forget to switch on I can do like 5 laps max and trans temp will be going up from 130 , for me its the best upgrade ever but I have everything upgraded .
I was getting 130+ at brands and Dunsfold so hope this will prove to be useful and I can market it, even having my own design sump made in billet.
Old 5th March 2017, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
motors is unaware they can edit their status

Whats mods have people done to the forge gearbox cooler to keep temps down. I still find temps rise quickly.
Old 5th March 2017, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by motors View Post
Whats mods have people done to the forge gearbox cooler to keep temps down. I still find temps rise quickly.
I made my own kit, same as Adams (Charles Charlies) and he does not go over 105 at Spa.
Old 5th March 2017, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motors View Post
Back in 2012 I added an SSP front mounted trans cooler to deal with the high temps I was experiencing on track. Back then trans fluid cost the earth and Nissan said it has to be changed if it exceeded 120 degrees.

Now I'm not sure I'd bother with a trans cooler as much. Fluid like FFL4 can be had for £300 for 20 litres (enough for two trans fluid changes) so even if your Forge cooler is performing as badly as I know and expect it too, it's not as big a deal as it once was.

As an aside I'd be checking your fluid pump is still working within spec, that the supplied temp switch operates at the correct temp, and failing that I'd install an override switch so you can run the cooler pump from the moemnt you leave the pits.

My trans fluid has never exceeded 110 since my kit was installed. That's including some very heavy duty track days during the height of summer.
motors likes this.

RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
DSC susp controller