Project: HABU32 - Page 5 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th October 2017, 10:03 AM   #81 (permalink)
habu32 is ready to strike
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: 1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R
Picked up another front diff/sump setup...but this time it's special.

Was supposed to have got both the front and rear off a guy parting a GTS-4 for $200. But last moment someone else offered him more for it, so to comprise I guess , I got the front for $80 and other guy got the rear for whatever. Obviously the front is the harder of the two to get, so think I made out. Now to find a rear...

Only thing is I see that only the A31 AWD's and R32 GTS-4's had the 4.375 ring and pinion (saw trucks and vans might also use the R200 with a 4.375 but not sure if they're the same?). So now I'm kinda sweating if I can find a rear in R200 (saw an R180) diff with a 4.375. I see plenty of 4.363's.

My questions are:
I saw a thread on SAU stating ATESSA can compensate for 3% difference in size, so a combo of 4.363 and 4.375 is ok. Yet everything I see elsewhere says they HAVE to match. So which is it?

And how do I get the assy out? I took out the crosshaft but can't get the diff with ring out. Does the rear pinion part need to come out, then the ring/lsd combo can come out? Or is there some other way? Seems the bolts for the ring/lsd assy get in the way or the bearing on the sump side does, when trying to weasel it out.

And can the sump be re-welded? Guy cracked it taking it off the motor. Again, read you can and can't, so curious what's true.

Hopefully in a few months I can get this all installed. Think it'll rip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4722.JPG (436.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4724.JPG (520.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by habu32; 10th October 2017 at 01:22 PM..
habu32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:56 AM   #82 (permalink)

Small update; guy who bought the rear diff couldn't get it to work on his GTS-t so he ended up selling it to me for $175. So I spent a bit more than I originally would have if I'd have got the package deal from the get go. But, at least I have the front and rear setup now, so I don't have to search around for one anymore.

Still waiting to get the car back from Nissan. Apparently there was something rusted somewhere and they were having to take longer than expected to finish the car. Hopefully nothing major.

And I'm going to Nismo Festival this weekend, so pretty excited for that! Got pit access and that's it. They did offer a racecar ride along for about $100, but I'd have had to fill out a high risk activity paper for work and I just didn't want to deal with that. So, I'll just enjoy watching from afar and checking out the cars in the pit area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4794.JPG (1.48 MB, 7 views)
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:53 AM   #83 (permalink)

Yay, got the car back! Bill was •196,000 for timing belt service, Nismo oil and filter change, and coolant/vacuum line replacement. They also replaced the rear o2 and the #1 ignition coil (with a used coil), which was supposedly the cause of it running poorly.
They also made note that either the previous owner or dealership put mostly water in the cooling system and it has caused a water pipe (they didn't say which one) to be very corroded, so it needs replaced (which I'm a bit perturbed about as I don't know why they didn't fix it). The coolant that came out looked like mud. Also the CAS is making a "noise", as is the alternator.

Either way after almost 2 months I have it back. So I'll fix a few things on my own and schedule more major work to be fixed with them or another shop after the new year.

Also Nismo Festival was AWESOME! I have a lot of pics to share, maybe I'll do up another thread. Debating on going to Tokyo Auto Salon or holding out for Osaka Auto Messe in the spring.

Last edited by habu32; 3rd December 2017 at 04:57 AM..

Old 3rd December 2017, 06:05 AM   #84 (permalink)
BigKriss is Cruiz`n a little..
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Good to see you matched the diff ratios perfectly. Personally I would not have gone with the discrepancy you were contemplating.
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:43 AM   #85 (permalink)
kevr32 is loving mornings, and the cool fresh air, just breath...

Do you have any info, or more importantly, pictures of what was going on in the heritage parts tent with that r32 body shell on the rotisserie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:43 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
Good to see you matched the diff ratios perfectly. Personally I would not have gone with the discrepancy you were contemplating.
Well oddly enough, i had just hopped on Yahoo Auctions Japan to look around and found a cw&p in 4.375 for sale. It was around $275, so bit more i wanted to spend and without the housing too, but I needed it. Was going to pull the trigger on it later on in the day and right after I closed out my browser, I got a Facebook message from the original seller saying the guy had tried to fit the diff on his gts-t and it wouldn't fit. So he was gonna get us in touch if i was interested. So I'm glad i got it too, but there was a fall back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevr32 View Post
Do you have any info, or more importantly, pictures of what was going on in the heritage parts tent with that r32 body shell on the rotisserie?
Kev, from what I could see and understand, it was there showing engine bay, door and interior wiring harnesses. I honestly took no pics of it and didn't pay it much attention, as i was in a rush to see other things. I'm not sure if they're reproducing those harnesses as well or what. Let's hope, I'm sure alot are needing replacement or wanted for spares.
Old 9th December 2017, 01:06 AM   #87 (permalink)

Wheels getting ready for final sanding and primer. He's hoping to finish them this weekend and then start on the center caps which will have something custom on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4840.JPG (629.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4839.JPG (889.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4841.JPG (827.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4842.JPG (596.0 KB, 5 views)
Red Duke and BigKriss like this.
Old 10th December 2017, 10:14 AM   #88 (permalink)

Sneek peek at the wheels. I'm gonna wait til i pick them up to show better pics. I'm guessing he's not a picture guy, so just snapped pics and moved on to whatever else. Can't blame him, time is money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4847.JPG (741.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 16th December 2017, 04:07 PM   #89 (permalink)
skylineboi is probably tinkering in the garage.

Damn, that's a sexy color. Subscribed... Keep up the good work!
Old 21st December 2017, 03:17 AM   #90 (permalink)

Thanks Skylineboi, pics do the color no justice. No matter how I tried, my iPotato wouldn't capture the beauty of the color. It has just the right amount of flake; looks just regular black most of the time but when the light hits it just right .... bam!

Here's after just being washed with soap and water. Will have to fix a few minor blemishes once the clear has set a bit more and then even though he said I didn't need to, I'm going to cut and polish the paint. And please excuse the polished parts, they're dirty and needs to be hit with aluminum polish again since they've been sitting in his shop for a few months. I just wanted to show them off a bit. And he's finishing up the center caps too, trying to do a lil customization with them, so the wheels aren't even really fully finished yet.

Ja mata!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4950.JPG (2.72 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4956.JPG (2.16 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4958.JPG (1.98 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4960.JPG (1.97 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4944.JPG (1.66 MB, 5 views)
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:25 AM   #91 (permalink)

Painter sent a sneak peek of the caps, looking good so far, hopefully they turn out.

Also, something I noticed the other day, not sure if it's normal or not. Took a look down the fuel filler hole and I didn't see any flap/valve to prevent fuel from sloshing or coming up the filler hose. Is that normal on R32's? Even our minivan which is a 2003 doesn't have one. Just never have had a car without, so kinda has me curious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4929.JPG (887.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4916.JPG (1.59 MB, 9 views)
Old 22nd December 2017, 03:39 PM   #92 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
If there is the will please don't forget the text - Made with the Spartan air - printed on the centre caps
Old 22nd December 2017, 03:59 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
If there is the will please don't forget the text - Made with the Spartan air - printed on the centre caps
Unfortunately he's painted over that already. If there's room and he's able to, I could see if that's a possibility, but doubtful. He's having to do it in layers with the stencil and airbrush, so he might already be at the stage where he's not going to redo anything.
Old 29th December 2017, 08:04 AM   #94 (permalink)

Ordered a few things off YAJ, one actually for the car has yet to show up but the other two were for purely collecting purposes.

Won't be able to understand a good bit of the DVD but that's ok, should be fun to watch. Thought it'd be neat to have since my car is a 93. And the diecast will be the 1st of many more. It's 1/43 scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4978.JPG (1.67 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4981.JPG (1.43 MB, 5 views)
BigKriss likes this.
Old 31st December 2017, 04:37 AM   #95 (permalink)

Picked up more goodies for super cheap. So I got what appears to be either an actual Reimax front pipe or a very good copy. No stamp or badging and for some reason it has 3 bolt flange? No Nissan I know of has a catalyst with a 3 bolt flange and I don't know of any aftermarket ones that do either, but I haven't really looked into that so I could be wrong. No matter for •25,000 I couldn't pass it up.

While I had been waiting for that to arrive a guy here was selling a pair of R34 N1's (the AA403's) for $220. One seems to be fine but the other is having a hard time spinning, like it's dragging on something a bit. So scooped them up too. They look very clean, though the bad one has some oil residue coming out the exhaust side. Not sure if that is a problem or just from removal, but either way I plan on getting both looked over and whatever needs repairing taken care of. Might get in touch with GCG up in mainland or a local place here on island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4984.JPG (1.44 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4985.JPG (1.33 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4982.JPG (1.57 MB, 3 views)
Old 31st December 2017, 04:51 AM   #96 (permalink)

So then today another local guy put up for sale an RSR front pipe for $150. Even though I'd just got that other equal length, the RSR didn't have the funky 3 bolt flange. So I got it too, as I figured it'd save me money in the long run of having to get a flange and have it welded on.

Thought I'd do a comparison of the two and their weight. The Reimax looking one is 7kg and the RSR is 6kg. So not much difference. I'm not sure I'll sell the Reimax looking one yet, as I want to make sure I have the one that gives me the sound I'm after. But the few vids I found online of an RSR equal length is pretty impressive as well. So one of the two will have to be "chopped". Hopefully I'll make my money back off one of them as I have more maintenance to do on the car still before I feel she's good to go and need the dough.

I'm also seriously considering doing a YouTube channel, much to encouragement of my wife. I never really thought of doing one, but it might be fun. I'd do it on food, traveling and of course cars. Just don't know if I like the idea of everyone seeing my ugly mug on camera. But it's a possibility and it'd make for maybe more interesting updates to this thread. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4988.JPG (738.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4989.JPG (1.66 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4990.JPG (1.62 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4993.JPG (1.71 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4994.JPG (1.61 MB, 3 views)
Old 31st December 2017, 07:34 AM   #97 (permalink)
OKIR33 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Small world! I was subscribed to this thread and I'm the one who sold you the N1 turbos. Got an email about this and thought the story sounded familiar, lol. Hope they work out for you.
Old 31st December 2017, 08:20 AM   #98 (permalink)
skylineboi is probably tinkering in the garage.

Nice finds! If you decide to sell one of those front pipes, hit me up. I think mine already has an aftermarket one but it's not equal length, and since it's wrapped in heat tape I can't see the actual pipe to see if there any badging.
Old 31st December 2017, 08:47 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKIR33 View Post
Small world! I was subscribed to this thread and I'm the one who sold you the N1 turbos. Got an email about this and thought the story sounded familiar, lol. Hope they work out for you.
Ha! That's crazy! Yeah man, super appreciate the hookup. Your car sounded so good with that Mine's exhaust, making it so hard not to dig into my savings and get one. Well least you'll know what was up with the one once i get it off to whomever is going to fix it. Kinda wanna give the place in Uruma a try, since I live nearby. Called SpeedBox. But GCG might have better deals or more options, so we'll see.

Last edited by habu32; 31st December 2017 at 08:54 AM..
Old 31st December 2017, 08:53 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineboi View Post
Nice finds! If you decide to sell one of those front pipes, hit me up. I think mine already has an aftermarket one but it's not equal length, and since it's wrapped in heat tape I can't see the actual pipe to see if there any badging.
Yeah, we could probably work something out. I think tomorrow I'm gonna take measurements of them both for comparison too. Just in case anyone ever would want the info. My build thread kinda sucks haha, but at least it will be informative dammit!