GTR Forum banner

Project: HABU32

14K views 121 replies 15 participants last post by  habu32 
#1 ·
A habu (pronounced "hah-BOO") is a venomous snake found in southeast Asia (Japan, Phillipines, Taiwan, southeast China).

Habus are pit vipers. They are not typically aggressive but will bite if provoked. They are not as deadly as cobras or mambas, but are more much more dangerous than most North American venomous snakes. There are almost a dozen species of habu; the variety native to Okinawa (Trimeresurus okinavensis) is supposedly greenish or greenish-yellow.

When the A-12s (and later the SR-71s) were first flown to their new remote base at Kadena AFB in Okinawa, the local people thought that this strange and somewhat wicked-looking airplane was shaped like the habu snake. They started calling it the habu airplane, and later just habu.

Thought i'd start off my build/journal thread (finally) with some tidbits of info on the name/wtf a habu is. Since i'm stationed in Okinawa, one of my favorite aircraft happens to be the SR-71 Blackbird, the "2" at the end of BNR32 kinda rhymes with the "u" in habu and this car scares me (not cause it's insanely for or something), but cause I never know when she's gonna bite me - i.e. break. Thought it was kinda a sinister, yet fitting name for my car. Anyway, enough with the :blahblah:

I bought the car in December of 2014 and have not really done anything to it in the 2 years i've owned it. Mostly because I was paying on it, plus family duties and traveling around Japan/Philippines = pretty much broke...til now.

My plans/ideas for the car are mostly for circuit, time attack, gymkhana, HPDE, etc, type racing. I love drag racing, but since there's only one track here that's on another island and I "think" it's only 1/8mi, not feasible to set up the car for that imo. Plus we don't have a "real" track (yet), mostly go-kart style tracks. I have not raced the car yet, as it has a few minor things I need to fix before she's ready to go out. I'll address those later.

I plan to build the car to my own styling cues, yet mix Mine's, Nismo R32/R34/R35 and GTR Pro Shop Garage Active in with it aesthetically and mechanically (*note - I couldn't find a good pic of Midori Seibi's car, but it's in the mix too). I feel that staying with certain brands in certain parts of the car makes things work together better. I also plan to lay out how much I have spent in total on everything (except for minute things like fuel, washer fluid, etc,.) and any weight savings/additions, as best as I can.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First pics of the car, as I spotter it at the local dealership. Note the price tag. :nervous: I got them down to $10,300 out the door, not too bad, compared to prices 2 years later, but still more than the car probably should have went for. Haven't ran into any rust YET, but the side skirt on the passenger side is popped out due to previous owner/mechanic lifting on the pinch welds (on both sides), so both are crushed up. I'm sure the rust is there...hiding and waiting to be discovered like a booby trap.
Other than a few minor scratches, scrapes and small dings, the car seemed to be in good shape. And it had 17x9 Enkei RPF01's, Trust pods, Trust intercooler, M's Motor Sports shift knob, HKS coilovers (can't for the life of me remember something III's or Drag's?, rough as hell though) and I haven't been able to identify the catback exhaust, but it sounds pretty good.

Seemed..:tard:

The first 6 months I owned the car, I probably had the car actually in my possession about 20ish days. New trans mount, trans rebuild, leaks here and there, but all fixed under warranty from the dealership. Though I can't complain that the work was done for free on a 20+ year old car, the trans rebuild (if it even was rebuilt) was done half assed. I later found the drain bolt not tightened and leaking and the boot around the shifter was torn up so badly, it was leaking transfer case fluid out. NO way that would have been missed on a trans rebuild...I have my suspicions it was just a swap, but either way can't complain too much.
The motor is a used unit as well. Not sure what happened to the factory RB26, but supposedly a newer and lower mileaged one was swapped in.. supposedly. I had someone on SAU look up the number on the block, couldn't quite read it all, but best he could come up with is that it was a 7/91 motor. So, not newer and probably not lower mileaged. And no telling when the timing belt, water pump, etc, was, if ever, swapped.

So, over the next 2 years all I have done was keep it cleaned up and protected from the Oki-rust issues a lot of cars here have. And I purchased a Nismo style lip (recently may have figured out it's made by TBO of Japan) and spare trunk lid (sorry, boot lid), had them painted and installed by a local shop and that's about it for the first 2 years.

Attachments

#3 ·
Here's what i'm looking at as of right now on total spent on the car, not including the 2 year Japanese inspection that was just done and American style insurance we're required to have also (about $350 for the Japanese inspection and $740 for American style insurance which is yearly).
Some prices are in Yen, as that's what I paid for them, i'll just convert automatically to dollars at the total. If you really wanna know, just go use a currency converter, but easy way to guess is 1 Yen = $1 roughly (though something for 10,000 Yen isn't quite $100US, more like $85ish). And i'm including the cost with shipping and tax as well.

6/1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR32 - $10,300
Non-projector head lights - Y20,000
Door weather seals - $60
Stock R32 airbox - $50
Stock R33 airbox - $50
Mine's gauge cluster - Y42,500
Mine's center gauges - Y32,000
Rear trunk weather stip - $40
Door sills - $20
Tail lights - $40
Hood - $100
Fenders - $80
Transmission with transfer case and frt driveshaft - $200
Valve covers - $60
Window switches (2 regular and 1 cold weather) - $10 and Y6,500
Stock wheels - $120
OEM steering wheel - Y10,000
Stock surge tank - Y1,500
Stock p/s reservoir - Y1,250
Stock side skirts - $60
Rear window lower outer trim- $40
Stock drivers seat w/rail - $100
Nismo style rear boot lip from TBO - Y8,500
Trunk lid - $140
H4 to H1 plug - Y6,500
Nismo rear mudguards - Y100,000
Recirc valve system - $20
Used ebrake handle with cable - Y3,990

Total thus far - $13526

Attachments

#4 ·
I know I have forgot a few items in the list of purchases, i'll update that tomorrow and take more pics of stuff I have left off (don't recall the prices paid and don't wanna guess).

One of the oddities I found with the car. Couldn't ever figure out why it wasn't making stock boost pressure. I saw the Greddy boost gauge on the dash and thought maybe it was part of some boost controller kit or something. Searched for days trying to figure things out and why it was only hitting around 8psi (sorry, don't know my kg/cm2 or whatever the rest of the planet goes by). After searching around, I saw a thread on a mod for the RB25DET boost solenoid...I think looked in my bay and saw previous owner had tapped in to the factory wiring with spade connectors and rigged up a RB25 solenoid. No wonder i'm not making factory boost. I did feel around the line and don't feel the restrictor, so I think it's gone. I picked up a stock solenoid and have yet to install it, as I don't want to potentially have an N/A RB26 or worse. And even 8psi is fun still, but I can't wait to upgrade turbo's and finally feel more power. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#5 ·
So on to the cars current state. Has a small leak from my guess is the line from the cmc to junction box. I lose fluid out of the reservoir slowly and it's all around that area by the junction box or whatever it's called (the box everyone hates but argues on its purpose). Also the timing components and water pump have not been changed since I've owned it and not sure if and when it was done on this engine since I have no info about the car it came from. I have everything to do it, including new OEM Koyo radiator. Just waiting on upper and lower hoses and thermostat and it'll be getting swapped out along with the leak fixed. Also have an OEM fuel filter to install as well.

I have not changed any other fluids either with exception of oil. I'm running the Nismo 10-60 oil for RB26DETT and Nismo oil filter. I like that it's smaller than the 32/33 Pitwork filter, as it's a huge PITA to get it under the intake manifold. Not that smaller filter though, goes right on!
I have picked up fluid for the tranfer case and ATESSA system to flush it. Just need F/R diff fluid and probably gonna go with Smurf's blood to maybe potentially help the notchiness of the transmission.

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes, the 32 has certainly grown on me. I had always been a fan of the R33, that was the first Skyline that caught my attention ages ago. I didn't know much about the R32 til shortly before I moved here.

Yes I plan to keep the wheels but I'll be picking up another set of wheels yet to be determined and then these will be semiretired, except for track days or something else.

#8 ·
Looking good, Habu! Be good to see where you go with this, the Nismo R34 clubman is one of my favourite cars! Really love the colour of that, and has been a big inspiration to keep most of my own 33 Nismo based, with a few extras Nismo don't do (or that you can't get hold of without selling a kidney!) :)

#9 ·
Thanks!

Yeah I hope I can get at least half the things I want to do with it accomplished this year. Few track days and shows and if things go well, maybe a transmission and transfer case build. Maybe if things go really well, even an engine build. First thing after getting leak fixed and timing belt swapped will be suspension/chassis work, it's pretty rough I think.

#10 ·
Picked up a few other goodies recently.

Pretty much unused PFC with the newer commander. -$600
Bare block S/N 022535 (which oddly enough is the last 3 of my S/N on my chassis) from a 4/1996 GT-R, with crank and girdle. -$200
2 throttles and the mount for them (not sure it's actual name sorry). -FREE
Nismo F/R stb's - ¥13,500
Spare F Nismo stb brace- $20
Stock floor mats all 5 pieces- $20

Will add that to the list later, to update it. And tomorrow I plan to share some pics of a small but time consuming project I have been working on for weeks. Also have to start cleaning the car up for a Cars and Coffee meet this Saturday, I'll be sure to share pics from that here as well!

Attachments

#11 ·
So something I noticed on the block I picked up...appears from what i can tell it has a short snout crank. Which is odd as I thought late 32's and on had the longer/wider one, being this is an April of 96 GT-R block, was kinda stunned.
Not to worry though, could just always get a collar or go with spline drive, which is most likely the route I'll go. Unless I have the funds for a different crank that I have my eyes on.

Attachments

#12 ·
Well didn't go to Cars and Coffee. Weather didn't cooperate and I live too far to drive and potentially get run off from the alternate meet point which was a parking garage. Wouldn't ya know the owner gave the thumbs up for the meet to go down there.
I'll just go to Customs Night, held at the same place and at night, in a few weeks.

Meanwhile I did get to work on my "super secret" project, coughing and hacking the entire time as I myself am under the weather.
Haven't shared this with anyone just yet, so GTRUK is the first to see, nothing real special but never have seen this done:

Polished lip OEM wheels! My plan is to do all the lips and have them sprayed in an R32-35 black. Just not sure WHICH black. I'd kinda like it to have a bit of "flashyness" to it but not too much. I see a few of the black codes say pearl, but I can't find any good pics to see what it looks like. If anyone has any good close ups of any Skyline GT-R or R35 GT-R OE black paint, I'm keen to see.

Pics are up to 600 grit. I'll be going to 800, 1000 and 2000 after. Have wet sanded the entire time, that paint is tough. Should've used it on the cars body!

Attachments

#13 ·
Moved up to 800, 1000, 1500 and finished at 2000 grit wetsand, next up is polishing compound. Pic is how it stands now. I don't see a lot of scratches but maybe once i polish it they might appear. If so, guess I'll go back and wetsand more. It is as smooth as glass though and I can see a decent amount of reflection, so fingers crossed it comes out as planned. If it turns out good, the other 3 will go off to a local wheel repair shop to fix a few dings/gouges and then I'll finish polishing them and send off to be painted!

Nothing else really got accomplished today. Have some old GT-R magazines on the way. Going up to mainland in a week and hoping to stop by Mine's, get Niikura-san's autograph on one of the mags. All three feature the R34 car on the cover. Oldest one is from 2005. Might hit up a few other shops as well. My dad is here visiting so will be based on how mobile he can be at 70. Plus he's not been to mainland yet, so he's in for a shock compared to Okinawa when it comes to crowded areas, haha.

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm in Sunabe. This is my second tour out here, was just here a few years ago.. would've got an r32 that time to take back to the states but it would've been cutting it close for the 25 year rule. It's gonna cut it close to take this 95 back this time as well, lol.

You?

#18 ·
No progress or new updates really. Got a few more goodies. My Nagisa Auto braces arrived. Ordered a used set for ¥13,700 = $120. They've got rust on them but should be able to clean it off and I'll paint them when the rest of the car goes in for paint and bodywork.

Also got the older GT-R mag's in, so will take one to get autographed hopefully.

Attachments

#19 ·
Well unfortunately I'm not gonna make it to Mine's this trip. I didn't realize how far it is from Tokyo and without a car, we'd have to take trains and a taxi there and back. Bit too much for my 70 year old dad. So I'll just go next time I'm here and can rent a car.

But, in exchange I decided to take myself and the old man to Round 1 of D1GP over in Odaiba. Never have been to a D1 series event, so pretty excited fot that! I'll throw up a few pics maybe after I get back to Okinawa.

Attachments

#20 ·
Finally had a bit of time to transfer some pics off my Nikon and my iPhone, so thought i'd share a few pics and parts i've collected since my trip up to the mainland.

Saw this beautiful Nismo R35 GT-R on display in a showroom at Nissan Crossing in Tokyo. I didn't get a good shot of the front as it was so crowded.

After that day, went to D1GP event, snapped a lot of pics, but being we were behind a fence, they didn't turn out worth a crap. And it was freezing cold and drizzling rain, so we didn't stay very long. But here's a few pics I promised i'd share:

Was a fun trip, planning to go back up maybe in July to Osaka for another round of D1GP and actually get to enjoy it. Weather sucked and it was spring break for the Japanese, so everything was even more crowded than usual.

#21 · (Edited)
So, since i've been back, i've ordered a few other parts.

Do-Luck Rear Cross Bar (looks to be almost brand new)

Nismo Transmission Baffle

Still waiting to install a lot of this stuff until after I get the car off to the body shop and get a few other things done to make sure it's mechanically sound.
I also want to try and get it weighed so I can have a good base number for actual weight, not just going by what the sticker/internet says.

Hoping to have a lot of this done before the next RCCA event, as I would really like to make it out to as many as possible this year.

#22 ·
Just updating my total amount spent list.

6/1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R BNR32 - $10,300
Non-projector head lights - Y20,000
Door weather seals - $60
Stock R32 airbox - $50
Stock R33 airbox - $50
Mine's gauge cluster - Y42,500
Mine's center gauges - Y32,000
Rear trunk weather stip - $40
Door sills - $20
Tail lights - $40
Hood - $100
Fenders - $80
Transmission with transfer case and frt driveshaft - $200
Valve covers - $60
Window switches (2 regular and 1 cold weather) - $10 and Y6,500
Stock wheels - $120
OEM steering wheel - Y10,000
Stock surge tank - Y1,500
Stock p/s reservoir - Y1,250
Stock side skirts - $60
Rear window lower outer trim- $40
Stock drivers seat w/rail - $100
Nismo style rear boot lip from TBO - Y8,500
Trunk lid - $140
H4 to H1 plug - Y6,500
Nismo rear mudguards - Y100,000
Recirc valve system - $20
Used ebrake handle with cable - Y3,990
PFC with the EL commander. -$600
Bare Rb26 (block S/N 022535 - 4/96 R33 GT-R) with crank and girdle. -$200
2 throttles and the mount for them (not sure it's actual name sorry). -FREE
Nismo F/R stb's - ¥13,500
Spare F Nismo stb brace- $20
Stock floor mats all 5 pieces- $20
Nagisa Auto gacchiri support fender braces - ¥9,000
Oil sump with front diff - $80
Do-Luck Rear Cross Bar (RXB) - ¥28,000
Nismo transmission baffle - ¥15,500

Total thus far - $15,051 as of 4/23/17

#23 ·
Weekend has come and gone already. Le bummer. But! I dropped off the stock GT-R wheels at East Wheel repair shop. Having them fix those little nicks/gouges and smooth them out. Going to cost about ¥16,200 ($145). Not too bad I guess, least they will be done correctly and I won't worry about them being screwed up by a grinding stone if i did it.
I did however polish the good wheel and I think it turned out excellent! I used my Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher, wool pads and Wolfgang aluminum polishes. I'll let the pics speak for themselves, not perfect but I'm super pleased. I'll take good sunlight pic tomorrow to hopefully blind everyone.

Attachments

#27 ·
Finished polishing the wheels today. Turned out pretty good I think. Now gotta get them off to be painted and save up for some tires for them. More updates in the next few days. Have some more small projects to do.

Attachments

#28 ·
Small update. Got my Mine's submeter's installed, just need to get a speedo cable and can do the main cluster with Mine's speedo. I like the look of them, but only issue I have is that the boost gauge doesn't show vacuum, which I prefer. Slightly debating on changing them and the main cluster to Nismo white face, but I'll leave it be for now.

As for the wheels, local American guy here is gonna paint them up and do some other custom part, so just waiting on him to finish another job and then take my wheels.

Attachments

#31 ·
yeah, one of the few reasons I chose the Mine's, cause it went up so high. however, now that I think of it, I don't think i'll ever go that high on twins as if I went single I'd probably be wanting something a bit more accurate. so that, coupled with the no vacuum part, is what's got me kinda thinking of switching to the Nismo ones.

thanks for helping get the thread back, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

no new updates, still waiting on some parts to arrive. and trying to buy some more cheap spare parts, but kinda hard because we're planning a trip back up to Osaka and Kyoto next month (gonna go pig out in Osaka again!). so, not much wiggle room for car stuff. :bawling:

#32 ·
Well "fun times" have arrived.

Sitting at a light on the way home and heard the idle turn different and smelled a slight burning smell. Light turned green and as I took off, car was missing/sputtering and had a lack of power. Luckily i was just down the street from my house so i was able to limp it up the road. Got her in the garage, tried unplugging the MAF's, damn near died unplugging each one individually, so think i can check that one off the list. No engine light. I noticed that the vacuum is around 500 and fluttering a bit, it's usually at 600 (or whatever is the first tick past 500) and fairly steady.

Wondering already if it's a vacuum leak, though the burnt smell has me worried and curious. Hope it's an easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.