Booked in a Litchfield's - The Mods Have Started - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.B
  • 1 Post By Tin
  • 1 Post By Mr.B
  • 1 Post By Chronos
  • 2 Post By Tin
  • 1 Post By twobadmice
  • 2 Post By Mr.B
  • 1 Post By Adamantium
  • 1 Post By terry lloyd
  • 1 Post By terry lloyd

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th March 2017, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Smile Booked in a Litchfield's - The Mods Have Started

I recently had my first 12 month NHPC service done and I can't wait any longer so I've booked my car in at Litchfield's

I'm having stage 4.25 done plus the Litchfield suspension kit and handling kit.

I've been to Litchfield's for a couple of oil changes and Iain and Neil have been a fantastic help so far. There's been absolutely no hard sell and they've freely spent as long as I needed discussing build options.

I did however forget to ask about the Ecutek Connect Bluetooth dongle. Has anyone had this fitted, is it any good and is it useful?
MonacoMaven likes this.
Old 10th March 2017, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I recently had my first 12 month NHPC service done and I can't wait any longer so I've booked my car in at Litchfield's

I'm having stage 4.25 done plus the Litchfield suspension kit and handling kit.

I've been to Litchfield's for a couple of oil changes and Iain and Neil have been a fantastic help so far. There's been absolutely no hard sell and they've freely spent as long as I needed discussing build options.

I did however forget to ask about the Ecutek Connect Bluetooth dongle. Has anyone had this fitted, is it any good and is it useful?
Good choice, 4.25 is a nice jump from standard, you won't be disappointed!

I also have the bluetooth dongle and have used it to scan for errors, adjust settings etc, so much more useful than having a laptop and wire with you. You can even standard outside the car using the app, whilst the car is running and change settings.
Mr.B likes this.
Old 10th March 2017, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25

Thanks for the information Tin

I'm already looking at turbo upgrades and engine forging options. What's the jump like to 900BHP?
Tin likes this.

Old 10th March 2017, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
-SeanS is missing his GTR!
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: 2012 Stage 4.25 GTR, 2015 Mercedes C300h AMG Line PP
You will love it! I'm almost a little jealous as I jumped straight into GTR ownership at Stage 4.25, so didn't get to experience the performance of a standard GTR, and then the increase to 4.25.

Can't imagine what a standard one must feel like now, I imagine pretty tame
Old 10th March 2017, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
MonacoMaven is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Sounds exciting.

Im getting the Ecutek app today if the post is running on time.
looking forward to it.

please post build updates as it progresses.
Old 10th March 2017, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SeanS View Post
You will love it! I'm almost a little jealous as I jumped straight into GTR ownership at Stage 4.25, so didn't get to experience the performance of a standard GTR, and then the increase to 4.25.

Can't imagine what a standard one must feel like now, I imagine pretty tame
mine was bone stock, then stage 4, then 4.25

stock 0-60 is stupid fast as we all know. and is slightly quicker at stage 4.25

stock 60+ ok maybe a bit tame, stage 4/4.25 60+ a LOT LOT quicker and superb fun on the motorway! I have most of my fun from 3rd gear onwards. Tho i do a lot of motorway driving.
-SeanS likes this.
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tin
Tin is modded out.
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information Tin

I'm already looking at turbo upgrades and engine forging options. What's the jump like to 900BHP?
hahah, its a very slippery slope! but jump to 800-900 is

motors and Mr.B like this.
Old 10th March 2017, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
twobadmice is loving the banter on here

The jump to 900 makes you smile a lot! Only downside is every mod after that is £££
Mr.B likes this.
Old 10th March 2017, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobadmice View Post
The jump to 900 makes you smile a lot! Only downside is every mod after that is £££
You're not wrong there. From what I've seen the dilemma in going beyond 900BHP is, can the extra power be used effectively?

The sweet spot definitely seems to be 850-900BHP but I'd love a fully built gear box. It's such a shame it's so expensive, I just can't justify 20K on a gearbox.
borat52 and R35 Boxer like this.
Old 10th March 2017, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
You're not wrong there. From what I've seen the dilemma in going beyond 900BHP is, can the extra power be used effectively?

The sweet spot definitely seems to be 850-900BHP but I'd love a fully built gear box. It's such a shame it's so expensive, I just can't justify 20K on a gearbox.
Then no guarantee you won't nuke your £20k gearbox or engine and need to do it all again.

I think there comes a point where, unless you literally have enough money not to care about £50k, the financial burden of breaking the car ruins the experience of owning it.

I'm 760bhp and I think the marginal extra fun diminishes as the power goes up. From what I've seen the track times also don't drop that much as you push the power up.

I'd still have a 1000bhp if I could mind
Old 10th March 2017, 11:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
kindai is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat52 View Post
I'm 760bhp and I think the marginal extra fun diminishes as the power goes up. From what I've seen the track times also don't drop that much as you push the power up.

Thing is, physics is still physics, theres only so much power you can put through the tyres before they break grip and then your power is worth nothing.

Extra power only really comes into its true prime when you can give it distance, or very wide tyres to put the power into the floor.
Old 11th March 2017, 08:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat52 View Post
Then no guarantee you won't nuke your £20k gearbox or engine and need to do it all again.

I think there comes a point where, unless you literally have enough money not to care about £50k, the financial burden of breaking the car ruins the experience of owning it.

If I go to 900BHP I'll definitely be forging the engine and upgrading the gearbox. What I meant was once you go above this then you need to have a fully built gearbox.

The trouble is that the sound of a fully built box is awesome and I want one

Last edited by Mr.B; 11th March 2017 at 08:33 AM..
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindai View Post
Thing is, physics is still physics, theres only so much power you can put through the tyres before they break grip and then your power is worth nothing.

Extra power only really comes into its true prime when you can give it distance, or very wide tyres to put the power into the floor.
This seems very true and that 850-900BHP is more usable. Therefore I think it's better to concentrate on getting the power down.
Old 11th March 2017, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered

Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Wider tyres do bit put more power to the road. They change the contact patch shape in a way that's actually detrimental to straight line traction!

For me the experience isn't ruined by worrying it will break. It's ruined by the updated gearbox.

My limit is the limit that gearbox strengthening gives you that didn't require a full replacement billet gearset.

I'd do first, replace the shafts and update the baskets, but that's it.

After that it becomes less pleasant as an everyday car and once that sets in it starts to become an unused second car. At that point, you've gone too far.
Mr.B likes this.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

They are not a pleasant everyday car full stop ( well the council edition my09s are not ) i grew to hate mine as a everyday car , big , heavy steering, clunky pos gearbox, noisy, uncomfortable seats etc was only fun when going for a spirited drive , seems to me as you up the power this only gets worse with harsher clutches even louder exhausts - maybe im just getting old
Mr.B likes this.
Old 11th March 2017, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered

No terry, you are spot on, but the newer car addresses many of your concerns.

I'm getting old, but the car is becoming more and more suited to low tolerance people.

Old 11th March 2017, 12:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mr.B is Loving LM 4.25

Some great information there, good to get different perspectives on the pros and cons.

If I do the gearbox it would probably would be just first, shafts and baskets. I quite like the noises as I think there's far too many soulless cars around
Old 11th March 2017, 12:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered

The gtr with stock nvh does not lack soul.

Drive a gt3 or rs. They make very few noises compared to even the stock gtr and do not lack soul at all.

First, shafts and baskets is a good idea though, just don't rush.

Old 11th March 2017, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
borat52 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindai View Post

It depends on what you do with it, 0-60 is going to be grip limited, 100-200 is power limited and not grip limited.

From that point of view over stage 4.25 is probably overkill for road use, the drag strip will always demand more power and if you track the car then I guess it depends on how long and straight the track is as to how much difference any extra power makes (ie high power cars will do much better on long fast straights)
Old 11th March 2017, 01:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

Quote:
Some great information there, good to get different perspectives on the pros and cons.

If I do the gearbox it would probably would be just first, shafts and baskets. I quite like the noises as I think there's far too many soulless cars around
A educated guess here but i would not do the clutches until you have too, even upping the capacities or the torque tables in the ecu map just for the stage upgrades makes the gear changes harsher - upgraded clutches would be even worse
Mr.B likes this.