V~Power or Tesco Momentum - 2017 - Page 3 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: Vpower or Tesco momentum
Vpower 114 65.90%
Momentum 59 34.10%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2017, 03:06 PM   #41 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Ferrari on the other hand are a different case, they are a sponsor of theirs.
Exactly! Just like Pirelli undoubtedly give Porsche a backhander to say 911 drivers have to have N rated tyres that are the same as the same non N rated tyre they make but more expensive.
We all have our favourites for various reasons but having spoken to my guy who tests many diff fuels and has 100's of hours of exhaustive testing all I can say is the LAST fuel I would put in my car is Shell V power.
Old 3rd April 2017, 06:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Out of curiosity I called my pal who does the tests on fuel and asked about this exact thing, he drives a tuned 911 turbo so also has a 'seat of the pants' view as well, this is what he said, the worst fuel in his experience for varying octane is by far V power, it can lose 2-3 points in 2 weeks, the momentum they have never measured below 98 despite the use of ethanol to achieve 99 octane, the shell also to be fair is almost 99 octane WHEN IT IS VERY FRESH, this he tells me is due to the use of aromatics that dont make for a long lasting fuel. His experience of using V power is also surprising, he says his 911 feels more 'zippy' on part throttle on V power (this is also born out in his dyno findings) however when under load (cylinder pressure) the car pulls alarming amounts of timing which it does not do on momentum, the same on NA engines they can run more midrange timing on momentum than V power, he tested a 1 make series 4 pot motor (NA) it arrived with cans of various fueles to test one being V power purchased in Crawley, the motor dynoed at 129 hp, they then tested on another fuel and it lost hp, momentum with same settings ran 129 hp, they used all the V power and for some reason wanted more figures so went and bought V power from a local garage the motor steadily lost power until it got as low as 125 hp, they thought it may have picked up so drained oil to make sure all looked ok and as the oil was clean ran it again with momentum, straight back to 129, back to V power and 125 again, so clearly a dodgy batch, they ended up at 132 on momentum after playing with the timing and 134 with 100 ron elf fuel which is only available on about 5 pumps in the UK.
The guy who really switched him on to momentum is a very well known tuner (Fords) and they have a huge bowser that is full of .........guess it ? Yes Momentum. In short round town the car feels more responsive on V power but round a track it drops speed compared to Momentum.
Trevgtr and Sam McGoo like this.
Old 4th April 2017, 08:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Cool.

I'll tell McLaren they've got it wrong

Old 4th April 2017, 08:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Cool.

Maybe you should, these guys are testing for race teams that need to use a road based fuel, dont shoot the messenger if he doesnt tell you what you want to hear. While your at it tell Ferrari
Trevgtr likes this.
Old 4th April 2017, 09:08 AM   #45 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Thing to remember here guys is that every car firm is here to make money, yes Mclaren may reccomend \V power which when pure is just fine (ish) but what fuel do you think will be in the car at a press launch at a track ? pump Vpower??? yeah right and I suppose you think the cars are all just picked off the production line at random. Another frien was technical director of Toyota worldwide and is now technical director of Fiat and told me exactly what happens with press cars at launches, its all money of course Mclaren, Ferrari must pay Shell to use their name??????? NOT
Old 4th April 2017, 09:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered

Sorry, you're talking utter crap.

McLaren do not get paid to use Shell, neither do they recommend it as they are not a sponsor.

It's just what they use as it's the best fuel available from factory before shipping/selling the cars to customers.

It would make more sense (profit wise) to just stick Tesco crap into the cars at factory, who would know?
Old 4th April 2017, 09:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Of course they do
Old 4th April 2017, 10:00 AM   #48 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Funny thing is theres a highstreet fuel that is higher octane and longer lasting than either V power or momentum And you prob drive past it everyday
Old 4th April 2017, 10:01 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
Of course they do
Well, my bosses lie to me then.

I'll take a forum randomer's word over my company's.
Old 4th April 2017, 10:02 AM   #50 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Well, my bosses lie to me then.

I'll take a forum randomer's word over my company's.
You do that, Im very hurt though
Trev likes this.
Old 4th April 2017, 11:27 AM   #51 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

Quote:
Funny thing is theres a highstreet fuel that is higher octane and longer lasting than either V power or momentum And you prob drive past it everyday
Are talking about BP ultimate ? i say this as this was all i could get on a trip to scotland - strangely i had the accessport logging knock all the time and it did not pick any up , Am sure i read somewhere it has additives to reduce knock
Old 4th April 2017, 11:33 AM   #52 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

No dude but hey V powers the ultimate fuel so it irrelevant
Old 4th April 2017, 12:40 PM   #53 (permalink)
T2 MSW is unaware they can edit their status

Old 4th April 2017, 12:59 PM   #54 (permalink)
slapshot is living the dream
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: 2011 GT-R (Stage 3)
Quote:
So, do we have to ring a premium rate number to find out what this fuel is?
Trev, terry lloyd and T2 MSW like this.
Old 4th April 2017, 01:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
So, do we have to ring a premium rate number to find out what this fuel is?
He's already said what it is Must admit I've never seen it but will now be looking
Old 4th April 2017, 01:53 PM   #56 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Thing to remember here guys is that every car firm is here to make money, yes Mclaren may reccomend \V power which when pure is just fine (ish) but what fuel do you think will be in the car at a press launch at a track ? pump Vpower??? yeah right and I suppose you think the cars are all just picked off the production line at random. Another frien was technical director of Toyota worldwide and is now technical director of Fiat and told me exactly what happens with press cars at launches, its all money of course Mclaren, Ferrari must pay Shell to use their name??????? NOT
True, and as said earlier there's also a fair bit of snobbery involved. The type of 'Badge Snob' that would not be seen dead in a Nissan will not be putting Momentum in his Ferrari. If exactly the same Momentum was sold to Shell and relabled as Vpower he would use it.
terry lloyd likes this.
Old 4th April 2017, 02:35 PM   #57 (permalink)
WoREoD is Old and Grumpy
New Users

Quote:
Cool.

I take it that we can also tell NissanGB you that you'll be sticking with the Dunlop Runflats as those are the only ones they recommend.
Old 4th April 2017, 03:09 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoREoD View Post
I take it that we can also tell NissanGB you that you'll be sticking with the Dunlop Runflats as those are the only ones they recommend.
Like I said (a few times now) they don't recommend any fuel, other than highest octane available in your country.

Which readily available in the U.K. is V-Power.
Old 4th April 2017, 03:19 PM   #59 (permalink)
WoREoD is Old and Grumpy
New Users

Quote:
Like I said (a few times now) they don't recommend any fuel, other than highest octane available in your country.

Which readily available in the U.K. is V-Power.
...and Momentum.
Old 4th April 2017, 03:22 PM   #60 (permalink)
T2 MSW is unaware they can edit their status

Well its not is it because BP Ultimate is 102 isn't it? Personally I would not use it as its ridiculously expensive