V~Power or Tesco Momentum - 2017 - Page 6 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: Vpower or Tesco momentum
Vpower 114 65.90%
Momentum 59 34.10%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th April 2017, 07:16 AM   #101 (permalink)
shavermcspud is in super speed land
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Its all my fault we have gone off on this tangent about lawnmowers so I do apologise.
Old 7th April 2017, 10:25 AM   #102 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavermcspud View Post
Its all my fault we have gone off on this tangent about lawnmowers so I do apologise.
Noooo we needed to find something that runs well on V power
shavermcspud likes this.
Old 7th April 2017, 10:53 AM   #103 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
A ride on lawn mower you say ?

To add extra boost just threaten Mint sauce!
snuffy likes this.

Old 8th April 2017, 07:24 AM   #104 (permalink)
Kieranrob is MY11 GT-R

Am going to be doing the North coast 500 next month and there is a no premium fuel past Inverness so am thinking about using some octane booster anyone else used it and does it work well? Am not really wanting to drive around in 95 map for a couple of hundred miles. Sorry if slightly off topic
Old 8th April 2017, 11:15 AM   #105 (permalink)
kindai is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieranrob View Post
Am going to be doing the North coast 500 next month and there is a no premium fuel past Inverness so am thinking about using some octane booster anyone else used it and does it work well? Am not really wanting to drive around in 95 map for a couple of hundred miles. Sorry if slightly off topic

Just make sure its MMT based.
Old 8th April 2017, 01:26 PM   #106 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Cars owned: Albins Trans, 20 plate clutch,102mm exhaust / Intakes, Syvecs AWD BL FMIC,GT3282, Forged engine, GTR Perf map.1101whp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindai View Post
Just make sure its MMT based.
Weve played with octane boosters before, MMT might increase octane but at the cost of what

Old 8th April 2017, 01:34 PM   #107 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Another friend of mine works as a photographer and he travels with the Moto GP to every meeting covering the races, he is very friendly with the mechanics and has a tuned 996 Turbo, he wanted to see if higher octane fuel gave him a performance gain as he lives in Spain and when it gets very hot the car appears to pull timing and become a little less aggressive. Heres the recipe he was given, Ive serviced his car since he has been using it and plugs were perfect and oil had no strange odours and was not diluted by fuel at all.

1 litre Toluene
1/4 litre Kerosene or 2nd choice diesel
3cc's hydraulic fluid

Thats for a full tank on a 996, about 65 ltrs from memory
Old 8th April 2017, 01:40 PM   #108 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

I used this in my 911 with GT28 turbos when we were running high boost on super and it picked up a tiny bit of Det if we loaded her up, no Det when using this. One seller does it by the box I think it worked out around £7 a bottle, but ive always found Toluene to do the trick.

Lucas 10026 A Real Octane Booster 2 Cans 444ml | eBay
Old 8th April 2017, 01:52 PM   #109 (permalink)
Kieranrob is MY11 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudersvr View Post
I used this in my 911 with GT28 turbos when we were running high boost on super and it picked up a tiny bit of Det if we loaded her up, no Det when using this. One seller does it by the box I think it worked out around £7 a bottle, but ive always found Toluene to do the trick.

Lucas 10026 A Real Octane Booster 2 Cans 444ml | eBay
Cheers mate for the information I had a quick search online and Torco Unleaded accelerator came up as the best octane booster to buy out of 5. Am not sure if it has MMT in it but it does say it doesn't harm catalytic converters.

Torco Unleaded Accelerator | Demon Tweeks
Old 8th April 2017, 04:42 PM   #110 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Cheers mate for the information I had a quick search online and Torco Unleaded accelerator came up as the best octane booster to buy out of 5. Am not sure if it has MMT in it but it does say it doesn't harm catalytic converters.

Torco Unleaded Accelerator | Demon Tweeks
Do Mclaren use it??

If not its rubbish

BTW the effectiveness of octane booster depends on how the fuel is blended ie what additives.
Kieranrob likes this.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:39 PM   #111 (permalink)
Beillynoy is back in the fold

Quote:
There are a few super unleaded outlets beyond Inverness, they're just not the usual culprits.
For example, Lochbroom Filling Station at Ullapool.

Try a google maps search on the NC500 area using "petrol station" and call ahead if in doubt.
If still worried, PM me - I have a clockwise route that includes super unleaded stops (but won't be near my pc until next week, or would have added a link here)

Neil
Kieranrob likes this.
Old 9th April 2017, 07:23 AM   #112 (permalink)
Kieranrob is MY11 GT-R

Quote:
Do Mclaren use it??

If not its rubbish

BTW the effectiveness of octane booster depends on how the fuel is blended ie what additives.
Fair enough I will buy a couple of bottles of the Lucas stuff for emergency's if I can't find any Super unleaded
Old 9th April 2017, 07:25 AM   #113 (permalink)
Kieranrob is MY11 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beillynoy View Post
There are a few super unleaded outlets beyond Inverness, they're just not the usual culprits.
For example, Lochbroom Filling Station at Ullapool.

Try a google maps search on the NC500 area using "petrol station" and call ahead if in doubt.
If still worried, PM me - I have a clockwise route that includes super unleaded stops (but won't be near my pc until next week, or would have added a link here)

Neil
Cheers for the info mate am not going for another few weeks yet but if you get the chance ping me that map as that would be really help full
Old 9th April 2017, 12:25 PM   #114 (permalink)
Beillynoy is back in the fold

Gleanor seems to be the local purveyor of whizzy petrol. I'll track down that file and upload a link at the earliest opportunity.
Old 9th April 2017, 03:08 PM   #115 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Fair enough I will buy a couple of bottles of the Lucas stuff for emergency's if I can't find any Super unleaded
I was taking the p**s (not out of you) the torco is prob quite good ive heard good reports from people who use it, I dont use boosters that much as i prefer C16 for ultimate power.
Old 9th April 2017, 04:55 PM   #116 (permalink)
e-charge is unaware they can edit their status
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline R33 GTR VSPEC
Does anyone here really believe that a supermarket would spend that extra few pennies for a "premium" fuel which could potentially outperform a product from an established fuel development company like Shell?

They will buy the cheapest fuel they can get their hands on for as cheaply as possible to make as many pennies as possible from the mums with groceries and prams who pop in there after grabbing their weekly shopping - not giving a shit about fuel quality.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is really just kidding themselves.

Also heard too many stories about supermarket fuel being contaminated and causing damage as a result. I'm not prepared to play that game of Russian roulette.

e-charge
Old 9th April 2017, 05:19 PM   #117 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-charge View Post
Does anyone here really believe that a supermarket would spend that extra few pennies for a "premium" fuel which could potentially outperform a product from an established fuel development company like Shell?

They will buy the cheapest fuel they can get their hands on for as cheaply as possible to make as many pennies as possible from the mums with groceries and prams who pop in there after grabbing their weekly shopping - not giving a shit about fuel quality.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is really just kidding themselves.

Also heard too many stories about supermarket fuel being contaminated and causing damage as a result. I'm not prepared to play that game of Russian roulette.

e-charge
I think you will find that ALL fuel comes out of one pipe and off to various refineries, all I can say is that this is what ive been told by people who actually spend their days testing fuels, I would counter with 'why do Mountune run Momentum in all their turbo competition cars that require a road obtainable fuel'? Why would they not use V power.
Old 9th April 2017, 05:31 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you will find that ALL fuel comes out of one pipe and off to various refineries, all I can say is that this is what ive been told by people who actually spend their days testing fuels, I would counter with 'why do Mountune run Momentum in all their turbo competition cars that require a road obtainable fuel'? Why would they not use V power.
"ALL fuel" huh? May be overstating that a little there but OK whatever.
So you're suggesting that one company drills and pumps all of the fuel and that same single company refines it and produces the petroleum?
Would you like a few minutes to go away and think about that one?

And to answer your question - wasn't it you who mentioned money and back-handed deals?

There have been a few comments on here from various people with valid points and insight as well as informed opinions but I have to say that you've really been pushing hard some total bollocks.

e-charge
Old 9th April 2017, 05:31 PM   #119 (permalink)
dudersvr is A Legend

I think everyone has a glitch in their product now and again

NOT A WORD ABOUT PAST DISASTERS INVOLVING SHELL WONDER FUEL

Some might think reading Shell’s advertising that nitrogen is a newly discovered chemical element. In fact it was discovered by a Scottish physician in 1772. According to Wikipedia, it is notable for the range of explosively unstable compounds that it can produce. Lets hope that it does not blow up too many engines. I am only half joking.

I remember the launch of another wonder fuel by Shell in 1986, “Formula Shell”, based on new technology and with a scientific image deliberately conjured up by Shell.

There was only one small problem. The new wonder fuel ruined many car engines and it did so on an international basis.

Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 15.58.00Don’t take my word for it. Read the account given by Keetie Sluyterman, Shell’s paid historian, author of ***145;A History of Royal Dutch Shell, volume 3.***146;

Extracts from pages 204 & 207

To create brand distinctiveness, Shell launched two new brands on the basis of new technology and supported by heavy advertising. Helix motor oil in 1985 and Formula Shell in 1986. The word Formula in the new brand for gasoline was chosen for its scientific connotations. Also, it appeared unchanged in many languages, which was important for international advertising.

In the UK, Formula Shell was launched with the punchline:

***145;From today not all petrol is the same.***146;

The launch of Formula Shell in Europe resulted in higher sales. This early commercial success, however, became qualified when it appeared that in a small number of cars the new gasoline caused inlet values to burn. Negative publicity was inevitable, though the damage occurred in only four countries, Denmark, Norway, Malaysia, and the UK.

It took Shell technical experts in collaboration with the motor manufacturers more than a year to establish the cause of the problem. In the meantime, the Formula Shell brand was withdrawn from a number of markets, including the UK. Once the problem had been identified, the product was reformulated and relaunched, in some markets under a new brand name.

The degree of spin is self-evident — damage in ONLY four countries***133;

And lets not forget that Shell has encountered problems with advertising its wonder fuels and has also supplied contaminated fuel in the USA and Canada
Old 9th April 2017, 05:38 PM   #120 (permalink)

"According to Wikipedia"...oh...well...I bow down to these proven facts obtained from such a reputable and trustworthy source.

e-charge