V~Power or Tesco Momentum - 2017 - Page 9 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: Vpower or Tesco momentum
Vpower 114 65.90%
Momentum 59 34.10%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th June 2017, 12:34 PM   #161 (permalink)
AndyE14 is Enjoying my new Orange GTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: GTR R35
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
The Mrs gets ordinary 4 star for her car (Lexus) from Costco and it is always at least 5p a litre cheaper than Shell.
On Saturday I noticed they have 99 Ron fuel at £1.15 - it is only 2 miles from home so I am going to fill up with this next time - has anyone had any experience of it?

My only concern is that every time I go into Costco I end up buying catering size packs of everything that end up lasting for bloody ages - hopefully they don't have a minimum quantity of 100 gallons

I have used shell V power 99% of the time in the 8 years I have had the car which is at stage 4.25. Sometimes it runs absolutely brilliantly but occasionally it seems 'a bit rough' I have never thought to consider if that might be due to fuel sitting at the forecourt or in my tank for a while as sometimes I can go 3 weeks plus without refilling.
See above, it isn't just 99 RON they brand it Kirkland Signature, their signature items they stand behind in terms of quality and I probably have more confidence in Costco than the average independent Shell Garage.

I have been running mine almost exclusively on Costco fuel for over a year now.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:41 PM   #162 (permalink)
njd
njd is loving my wrap
Registered

Cars owned: r33 gtr, r34 gtr and now r35
That was my thoughts Andy, anything in store that they put their own name to is always very good quality, so no reason why the fuel shouldn't be the same.

There is also loads of room to manoeuvre around the pumps, there is never a queue and everything is always clean, with cheap prices and only 2 miles away from me its a no brainer.

No doubt somebody with more technical knowledge can comment on the quality of the fuel in due course, however from what I have read on this thread the comment may be more opinion than hard facts.

One thing I can do is check the MPG. I have measured every single fill of fuel since I had the car so I will confidently be able to comment on this aspect in due course when I have done enough fills.

Neil
Old 13th June 2017, 01:51 PM   #163 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........

Quick look on the net it is supplied by Greenergy who also supply Tesco momentum

Old 13th June 2017, 02:04 PM   #164 (permalink)
AndyE14 is Enjoying my new Orange GTR

Cars owned: GTR R35
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
That was my thoughts Andy, anything in store that they put their own name to is always very good quality, so no reason why the fuel shouldn't be the same.

There is also loads of room to manoeuvre around the pumps, there is never a queue and everything is always clean, with cheap prices and only 2 miles away from me its a no brainer.

No doubt somebody with more technical knowledge can comment on the quality of the fuel in due course, however from what I have read on this thread the comment may be more opinion than hard facts.

One thing I can do is check the MPG. I have measured every single fill of fuel since I had the car so I will confidently be able to comment on this aspect in due course when I have done enough fills.

Neil
Based upon your location we almost certainly use the same Costco fuel stop

I sometimes use the Chadderton one too when heading back home from Leeds but others aren't quite as good. Liverpool which has been there for a few years doesn't have a good design and can be quite busy.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:06 PM   #165 (permalink)
Gtrmad43786 is unaware they can edit their status

I normally use Tesco but last batch was giving me knock
Old 13th June 2017, 09:08 PM   #166 (permalink)
Dsm1113 is pondering the sale of the GT-R
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

North East of Scotland is fairly limited in choices, certainly no Costco, Exxon etc. I tend to run V-Power/Momentum 3 of 4 tanks then a 4th tank of 95 RON. Reason being that the premium fuels tend to have too many "cleaning" additives removing the lubricating effects. Just my tuppence worth.

David
Old 14th June 2017, 12:14 PM   #167 (permalink)
JohnE90M3 is 2019 BMW M5 Comp

Cars owned: 2018 BMW M5 in Snapper rock blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrmad43786 View Post
I normally use Tesco but last batch was giving me knock
I too have found Tesco99, up and down in results, could be it's sat to long in the tanks unused by most and lost it's go!!.
I still stick by Sainsbury 97 for my "M" cars, not quite GTR power but good enough for road use here.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:39 AM   #168 (permalink)
[email protected] Torque is sourcing and supplying R35 GTRs
GTR Register Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
I'll put it this way:

Super car manufacturers don't top their production cars up with Tesco's fuel, they use V-Power.

If it was about saving ££££ trust me they would, they just use the best available, which is V-Power.
I recently secured a 2016 R8 V10 Plus from a McLaren dealer, for a customer of ours.

Once we had paid for it and arranged delivery, it went straight on the dyno for a tune and wasn't responded as hoped.... It turns out they brimmed it with 95 RON and after a call to the McLaren dealer, admitted to it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Tom@Auto Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 09:46 AM   #169 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered

Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I recently secured a 2016 R8 V10 Plus from a McLaren dealer, for a customer of ours.

Once we had paid for it and arranged delivery, it went straight on the dyno for a tune and wasn't responded as hoped.... It turns out they brimmed it with 95 RON and after a call to the McLaren dealer, admitted to it!
The dealers are not the factory!

But goes to show you the difference the fuel makes.
Old 21st June 2017, 04:24 PM   #170 (permalink)
[email protected] Torque is sourcing and supplying R35 GTRs
GTR Register Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
The dealers are not the factory!
Quite.

We have vehicles such as a 208 GTi, Impreza's etc and they all get treated to V-power. So I guess in that sense, it makes us better than a franchised supercar dealer wanting to save a fiver.
Trev likes this.

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Tom@Auto Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 02:06 PM   #171 (permalink)
Andy L is unaware they can edit their status

Hi all.
I use mostly momentum because it's closer for me. Use Shell when I see a station and am getting low ! Not sure I notice much difference in performance. Maybe a little better on Shell.
Old 28th September 2017, 08:25 PM   #172 (permalink)
ashmanflashman is unaware they can edit their status

I worked for Ferrari for 5 years in sales and we used Tesco fuel in all our cars with no problems. Not even momentum most of the time just regular fuel. Never ever had a customer complain about a lack of power.
Old 29th September 2017, 09:04 PM   #173 (permalink)
james_barker is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanflashman View Post
I worked for Ferrari for 5 years in sales and we used Tesco fuel in all our cars with no problems. Not even momentum most of the time just regular fuel. Never ever had a customer complain about a lack of power.
Er. I'd be more concerned about pinking and actual damage to the engine, not just a slight power reduction.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Chronos likes this.
Old 30th September 2017, 09:33 AM   #174 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
Er. I'd be more concerned about pinking and actual damage to the engine, not just a slight power reduction.

hell yes! Nissan tell's you super only in the manual and on the petrol cap as well..
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 09:36 AM   #175 (permalink)
james_barker is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
hell yes! Nissan tell's you super only in the manual and on the petrol cap as well..
It's fine of its mapped to the right fuel. Otherwise a big no no. Still, interesting to know how Ferrari treat their cars. £200k for the car and then scrimp a couple quid on the petrol.

Old 30th September 2017, 09:42 AM   #176 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
It's fine of its mapped to the right fuel. Otherwise a big no no. Still, interesting to know how Ferrari treat their cars. £200k for the car and then scrimp a couple quid on the petrol.

yeah its madness! I've only had to use normal unleaded once in my R35, I was in the middle of Wales, getting low on fuel and had to fill up.. Luckily my cars mapped, so popped it into map 3 which is the normal unleaded map, drove a good few hours on this and the car was fine, it felt underpowered on the map, but it will as it's compensating for the fuel, but still it ran just fine until i got to a petrol station when it was near low again, and filled up with super and back onto map 1.
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Old 13th October 2017, 10:00 PM   #177 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

just come across this normal/high octane petrol dyno power test by fifth gear (video), see what you think.. including the results..

https://www.facebook.com/fifthgear/v...6700284202519/

Old 14th October 2017, 11:27 AM   #178 (permalink)
simGTR is unaware they can edit their status

V Power because its the furthest away.

Any excuse.
Old 27th November 2017, 07:10 PM   #179 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member

Haha yes I know what you mean.

I've had a few crappy batches of vpower this year so have started sticking momentum in again. I would happily use the Costco stuff too but none local to me

Build thread:

Items for sale:
gtr mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:46 AM   #180 (permalink)
GT-RDC Member

last shell Vpower blurb from flyer I picked up yesterday, make from it what you will.. haha.