Brakes are f*ed after 1 track day? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 8th April 2017, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoPk11 is looking forward to summer track days!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Brakes are f*ed after 1 track day?

So went to Brands hatch the other week for a full day track day... wasn't out there all the time, only did 2 tanks of petrol as unfortunately it was wet in the morning, it then dried and I had a good go at it.. then lunch break and the rain came down again.

I got the front brakes replaced late last year with AP Racing J hook discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads and have only done normal road driving since (maybe up to 1,000 miles if that)

During the track day, I felt like the brakes were really good, didn't get any brake fade, and stopping was good. On the straights I was going from about
145 mph down to around 60 ish for the corner

This is what the discs look like now, is this normal? Are the ****ed? They still seem to stop alright.. plenty of meat still left of the pads.. but feels like I have to press the peddle a bit harder though and they do make some noise when stopping if you have the window down and its quiet outside

The previous stock discs looked very similar to this with the black .. not sure how to describe it.. scratching/markings??.. but they were also massively cracked

Old 8th April 2017, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
How long were you on the brakes for? Did you have any additional cooling? Looks like a lot of heat was put through them... braking techniques can often have an impact of lifespan of the brakes...

Pads might have glazed over try removing it and go over with some abrasive 180 grit paper and do the same with the discs.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRACER View Post
How long were you on the brakes for? Did you have any additional cooling? Looks like a lot of heat was put through them... braking techniques can often have an impact of lifespan of the brakes...

Pads might have glazed over try removing it and go over with some abrasive 180 grit paper and do the same with the discs.
Thats a difficult question to answer lol. There is no technique.. I press the brake when I want to stop, if I'm not stopping in time, I'll press it harder lol.

No additional cooling, just standard car.

This is going to sound stupid, but genuienly just remove the pads/discs and give them a good scrub with some sanding paper lol?
Titan Wet & Dry Sanding Paper 230 x 280mm 180 Grit Pack of 10 | Decorating Sanding | Screwfix.com

So I'm assuming I should look at getting some additional cooling to the brakes?
dazzabb likes this.

Old 8th April 2017, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Ideally think about ducting and with the R35 being a heavy beast I'm sure that doesn't help. I run the same R35 setup on an R32 and being much lighter never had such issues.

Also there is the right way to brake out on track and that way you put in less heat. Ever wondered why some people always seem to warp their discs no matter how high quality their setup is?

Yes pretty much that's it I tend to do that after a track session just to get rid of any glazing.
Old 9th April 2017, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

This is really common, especially the photo of the stock disc cracking around the holes, if you brake very hard I don't see any way to avoid it.

Brake pads are supposed to be bedded in using approx 10 hard stops in a row from 70 to 10 mph at 0.6g for pad transference, but even then I can't see how this sort of cracking and heat spots is avoidable.

It's a lump of iron/metal being clamped/squeezed at extreme speeds trying to stop a colossal weight. It's going to get ****ing hot any which way you clamp it! Perhaps someone will come along and tell us how to stop a colossal weight quickly without ****ing the discs?
Old 9th April 2017, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sam McGoo is unaware they can edit their status

They don't look too bad to me. They've got a bit of colour in them because they've been hot, but they will do on track.
Run through a bedding in procedure and hopefully your pads will come back. Also worth flushing a bit of clean brake fluid through your brakes after a track session.
Old 9th April 2017, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
barry P. is fed up with all the politics and back stabbing in car clubs!
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: GT-R R35, Evo IX GT, Evo II, Radical SR3, and a "Dancing Donkey".
Those discs are absolutely fine, they look completely normal after a session of hard use. Nothing to worry about.
Simonh, tonigmr2, dudersvr and 1 others like this.

"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine."
barry P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
alexmallia is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

Wouldn't worry mate looks normal to me after a track day just drive it as normal for 50 miles or so,round town ideally so your on and off the brakes they will clean up to normal the feeling of pressing harder now to stop could be where you got the fluid hot if your running standard fluid then good time to change it with some high temp and I would put some braided lines on also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th April 2017, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
alexmallia is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Member

My braided line from auto Tourqe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th April 2017, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
WoREoD is Old and Grumpy
New Users

The only thing I'd add is did you do cooling down lap(s) after driving hard? Much better than letting it cool standing in the paddock - for brakes and transmission.

Somewhere like Silverstone GP Circuit a single cooling down lap should be sufficient but Brands is quite a short circuit so may benefit from a couple.
Old 9th April 2017, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Nothing wrong with them.

You've got pad deposits on the discs that's all.

The brakes might grumble for a while but the deposits will come off as you continue to brake.

I wouldn't bother taking sandpaper to them, it really isnt necessary.

As has been said what you must do now is do a brake fluid change. Your current fluid will have taken a lot of heat and will be goosed.

Any decent garage can do a fluid change for you.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
DocT is Litchfield LM1 storm trooper

DS2500 are notorious for pad deposits especially on heavier cars and high track temperatures.

I find a more aggressive compound/R spec like Carbon Lorraines or RS29's will clean the discs adequately.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT View Post
DS2500 are notorious for pad deposits especially on heavier cars and high track temperatures.

I find a more aggressive compound/R spec like Carbon Lorraines or RS29's will clean the discs adequately.
well i was tempted to buy the RS29s but they were like double the price.
The smell of brakes was pretty potent after coming back to the pits, didnt get that with the stock brakes. they felt massively hotter as well.

Yes I did cooling down laps, 1 or 2 depending on how long I was out for

someone mentioned to me that I might have the discs the wrong way around causing problems with the air flow but every pic ive looked at online with J hooks they are going hte same way as mine??

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to get the fluid changed before Spa, might have to look into some brake cooling/ducting as well
Old 9th April 2017, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
I wish my brakes looked that good.

Nothing to worry about in my opinion and provided they were bedded in correctly, I think they are good for a few more track days.

The hooked AP's with Ferodo DS2500 are a good match.
Old 9th April 2017, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgringgtr View Post

Nothing to worry about in my opinion and provided they were bedded in correctly, I think they are good for a few more track days.

well I think I bedded them in properly, I did what most the guides say.
Is it worth doing them again?

Have you done any brake cooling stuff to your car? / anyone else?
Old 9th April 2017, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hackett88 is living the GTR life
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

They are fine mate, keep it up
Old 9th April 2017, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Papa Smurf is nurburgringgtr
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: Nissan MY18 Track Edition Litchfield GT-R, Golf R, Dancing Donkey 458
I am very cruel to my brakes as I use them extremely hard. I have the Alcon big brake kit with Pagid RS29's all round. I have tried virtually everything on the market and these are the best bust expensive.

Good driver is careful on his brakes and bad driver (me) is very hard on the brakes.

You have a great set up for hard road use and occasional track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgringgtr View Post

Old 9th April 2017, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Evo9lution is hoping ...

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 R35 GT-R & Mitsi Evo IX MR FQ-360 (not standard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPk11 View Post
well I think I bedded them in properly, I did what most the guides say.
Is it worth doing them again?

Have you done any brake cooling stuff to your car? / anyone else?
Doing another bedding in session won't hurt and should get your brakes working without any squeal again (at least, until you get some more miles on it with gentle braking; though the 2500s are more resistant to squealing than RS29s for example).

Not sure where you're based but I know that Kaizer (Sly) does a brake ducting set-up which seems to be pretty effective and at a sensible price.
Old 9th April 2017, 04:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo9lution View Post
Doing another bedding in session won't hurt and should get your brakes working without any squeal again (at least, until you get some more miles on it with gentle braking; though the 2500s are more resistant to squealing than RS29s for example).

Not sure where you're based but I know that Kaizer (Sly) does a brake ducting set-up which seems to be pretty effective and at a sensible price.
Sly is where I take the car, it'll be going down there again soon for Tyre change (when I decide what ones) and probably fluid change again (altho I did get him to put the better stuff in last time). So might enquire about some brake ducting as well
Evo9lution likes this.
Old 9th April 2017, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager

Cars owned: R 35 GTR
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPk11 View Post
well i was tempted to buy the RS29s but they were like double the price.
The smell of brakes was pretty potent after coming back to the pits, didnt get that with the stock brakes. they felt massively hotter as well.

Yes I did cooling down laps, 1 or 2 depending on how long I was out for

someone mentioned to me that I might have the discs the wrong way around causing problems with the air flow but every pic ive looked at online with J hooks they are going hte same way as mine??

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to get the fluid changed before Spa, might have to look into some brake cooling/ducting as well

Love the Ferodo DS2500 as I had those on my 33. Next pad change on the 35 I will be going back to them.