RB26 - Single turbo sound - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lamont1990
  • 1 Post By Lamont1990
  • 1 Post By Alex C

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th April 2017, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tomak is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

RB26 - Single turbo sound

RB26 single turbo sound
Hello,

I was wondering what is the problem that the sound of my r33 GTR after converting from stock twin turbo to single turbo has changed drastically. I used to run a stock ECU and stock Garrett turbos before. Now i have an ECU Link G4+ and Single turbo Borg Warner EFR 7064 T4 A/R 1.05 Twin scroll.

The sound of the stock Rb26 with stock twin turbos is totally different and i have tested on the same muffler. What i mean by different is that now my car sounds much softer than it used to sound on twin turbos. I dont know if the problem is with the convertion from twin turbo and single turbo but i prefered the sound of stock twin turbos. It used to be much deeper and heavier and cooler on acceleration. I dont know if only me have that problem or maybe this is something with the maps in my new ECU Link G4+. ? What do you think about it?

I am considering to go back to twin turbos someday to see the difference. Or this is just the single turbo sound? Maybe i get better sound when i put back the Garrett single turbo, what do you think about this? Can i get a different sound with different turbo manufacturer? Is it worth the changing? What turbo can you reccoment in this case....?
Old 28th April 2017, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lamont1990 is Loving every bit of my r34

This wont help but I've never heard anybody complain about the sound of an single turbo before lol but I know what you mean about the stock twins sound I just swapped my kakimoto cat back for an tomei exhaust and decat and it does sound pretty mean when on it.
MS33 and Ares like this.
Old 28th April 2017, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
lightspeed is mapping Infinity
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
Were you on equal length downpipe?
I'm guessing not.

Old 28th April 2017, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tomak is unaware they can edit their status

Compare these two videos, one is with that dirty muuuuuuuuuu sound (howling sound ). The video from Ferrari track day. And the another video is my car acceleration. The sound is totally different and this is not because the exhaust system or turbo. Maybe the way my manifold is build??? I want to have better Rb26 screaming sound. The sound of my engine just died after swaping to single turbo convertion with different manifold. It used to be twice as loud What else i can do to get better gurgling/howling sound of the engine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YF6q1tvRE&t=164s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgXnBC7Q6A
Old 29th April 2017, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lamont1990 is Loving every bit of my r34

I take it do you want external wastegate sound which I think sound shite and destroys the sound of an rb
Ares likes this.
Old 29th April 2017, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Now you have a single down pipe the sound changes to a tone a Lot of folk chase with equal length downpipes on the twins. But yours does sound a bit flat, what's your new spec turbo etc?
Ares likes this.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ares is upside down behind the telly...
New Users

Cars owned: BNR34 GT-R V-Spec
Remember he's gone with a BW EFR - these use a recirculating system to achieve a faster spool and this may be a contributing factor.

Dunno, maybe it's just me but if i went to a single i'd be after a performance increase of some type and, as the plumbing has been changed, I'd expect the engine to sound different. Thing is, if i was happy with the kw gains I wouldn't care about how it made the engine sound...

I'm weird though.

But yeah, you can't reasonably expect to change so much in your engine bay without the sound changing...