Fuel pump control module vs. wire pump to 12v? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Tuning: General
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12th May 2017, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Typhoon is TH1slowGTR
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 1991 R32 GTR
Fuel pump control module vs. wire pump to 12v?

My fuel pump control module died yesterday and now I am debating trying to get and used/new one or just wiring the pump direct to the 12v.

what are the advantage of wiring it to the 12v? Do a lot of people do this to make sure they are getting constant pressue all the time?
I am going to be doing some upgrades over then next year, do most of you guys just bypass the module? What about pump life if i wire it to 12v? I would hate to kill a brand new Tomei or Nismo pump in a year (not that I drive the car daily)

While I have things apart I will probably upgrade to a Tomei or Nismo pump since I plan on future mods.

Advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
mambastu is looking forward to fork lift powah !

Cars owned: TH1 R32GTR, Ex-RB25DETT RS13
9Disadvantages in direct 12v feed are the pump runs at full speed all the time and therefore could be noisier, wear out quicker and the fuel may get warmer.

It really depends what you need from your fuel system. Personally I wanted a fuel system for 750hp so I run a Walbro 460 in tank without the FPCM and have run my own thicker gauge wires and an8 fittings through the top of the tank. I still use the ECU to turn on the relay which supplies the power to the fuel pump for safety.

The 460 is a quiet pump in tank so running at full speed isn't a problem. If the fuel gets hot the I'll use a fuel cooler.

Stu

Last edited by mambastu; 12th May 2017 at 02:52 PM..
mambastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Typhoon is TH1slowGTR

Cars owned: 1991 R32 GTR
My long term goal is have the motor built sometime next year. I would like around 600hp.

I didnt think about the issue with fuel getting hot. I would do the same thing running it through the relay for added safety. Didnt think about running a thicker gauge wire, that makes sense. I definitely wouldnt want another FPCM failure again.
I do also realize with 600hp i will also have a lot of other fuel system componets to upgrade.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th May 2017, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
R32 Combat is in limbo
Skyline Section Manager

Cars owned: R33 GTR
A good reason not to run the fuel pump off the ignition.
An interesting failure that was almost certainly considered by the manufacturer.

Old 13th May 2017, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
lightspeed is mapping Infinity
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Project BNR32
Can't believe those people left the car stood in a giant puddle of fuel for so long.
Very risky trying to start it after that too.

Had a fire under similar circumstances years ago with a starion engine. Luckily had a halon extinguisher to hand. The fuel had also got past the rings and diluted the oil. Was down to a wiring connector not working properly.