Switching from cobb to ecutek?? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance


Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Adamantium
  • 1 Post By stokegtrlad
  • 1 Post By terry lloyd
  • 1 Post By stokegtrlad

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th May 2017, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Switching from cobb to ecutek??

Hi i recently bought an 2009 gtr , the only mods on the car is a y pipe and stage 1 via a cobb device with 2012 gearbox software so im led to believe..

My question is how good is the cobb software the device is the older version i believe and is it worth swapping over to the ecutek tune as im thinking of booking the car in at litchfields and getting it on the rolling road and swapping over to ecutek as i dont really like the idea of a plug and play device and i will never want mess with the map myself i would prefer leave that to the professionals ..

Sorry sound stupid but all the gtr modding world is new to me ..

Heres a pic of my cobb device im sure it is the older version from what i have read on here..

Any advice on the options of software would be appreciated..



Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
wd1506 is now running R35 and RR Sport
GT-RDC Member
 
wd1506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: stoke on trent
Cars owned: RR Sport autobiography, GTR, citroen DS3
Posts: 173
Cool

i have the same set up as you and it seems to work ok.
the stage 1 and the y pipe were sorted by SVM in Telford.
are you from Stoke as your name suggests.
__________________
wd1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London
Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Posts: 9,073
If you never want to tinker with it and intend to use Litchfields, then swap.

There are one or two advantages of cobb over ecutek, none of which you will benefit from.

The most important thing is the quality of the map and that is determined by your chosen tuner. I would use the platform that they support.

As it happens, Litchfield can support both, but they have logged tens of thousands of hours perfecting their cobb maps, thanks to having their own top quality dyno cell. In your position I'd switch, no question.

You are switching in the right direction too, which means you can sell the cobb easily. It's more challenging to sell on the benefits of the Ecutek.
stokegtrlad likes this.
__________________


Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 16th May 2017, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd1506 View Post
i have the same set up as you and it seems to work ok.
the stage 1 and the y pipe were sorted by SVM in Telford.
are you from Stoke as your name suggests.
Hi mate thanks for the reply yeah the car does seem drive well although its the 1st and only one i have driven so i dont really have anything to compare it to .. yes im from sunny old stoke mate

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
If you never want to tinker with it and intend to use Litchfields, then swap.

There are one or two advantages of cobb over ecutek, none of which you will benefit from.

The most important thing is the quality of the map and that is determined by your chosen tuner. I would use the platform that they support.

As it happens, Litchfield can support both, but they have logged tens of thousands of hours perfecting their cobb maps, thanks to having their own top quality dyno cell. In your position I'd switch, no question.

You are switching in the right direction too, which means you can sell the cobb easily. It's more challenging to sell on the benefits of the Ecutek.
Thanks for the reply mate that was my thoughts as i would never want mess with the map myself .. dont suppose you have any idea what the cobb unit would sell for second hand do you ??

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member
 
charles charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North West
Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Posts: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
If you never want to tinker with it and intend to use Litchfields, then swap.

There are one or two advantages of cobb over ecutek, none of which you will benefit from.

The most important thing is the quality of the map and that is determined by your chosen tuner. I would use the platform that they support.

As it happens, Litchfield can support both, but they have logged tens of thousands of hours perfecting their ECUTEK maps, thanks to having their own top quality dyno cell. In your position I'd switch, no question.

You are switching in the right direction too, which means you can sell the cobb easily. It's more challenging to sell on the benefits of the Ecutek.
Think you meant that Adam...
__________________
Arrived 29/5/09 Reborn 12/1/17
______________________________________


Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
terry lloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: peterborough
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles charlie View Post
Think you meant that Adam...
That did make me chuckle - we all know Adam is a big Cobb fan

OP you have a few options firstly i would not mess about with paying for a stage 1 map , you may as well hold on get some injectors / intakes and go stage 4 ( you will end up doing this trust me ) this will save you paying for another remap

You can get a custom map on your cobb unit for @ £400 and you will have the option of using all the gearbox maps FOC - Cobb now have new maps out that are a lot better than the old ones V700 maps are free to download off their website - BTW you cannot adjust your map , you need to get the race software to do this

you could change to Ecutek and get a ( which this will shock most, i would do in your position ) you have a old accessport which does not do as much as the new one and is worth @ £200 if your lucky now days,it sounds like you want to drive in drive out conversion - but it will cost you a lot more last time i looked stage one was £1100 + £300 for gearbox map then you will probably want a cable @ £250 then if you have a trendy iphone you can get BT dongle c/w app for another £250
__________________

Last edited by terry lloyd; 16th May 2017 at 08:53 AM..
terry lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lloyd View Post
That did make me chuckle - we all know Adam is a big Cobb fan

OP you have a few options firstly i would not mess about with paying for a stage 1 map , you may as well hold on get some injectors / intakes and go stage 4 ( you will end up doing this trust me ) this will save you paying for another remap

You can get a custom map on your cobb unit for @ £400 and you will have the option of using all the gearbox maps FOC - Cobb now have new maps out that are a lot better than the old ones V700 maps are free to download off their website - BTW you cannot adjust your map , you need to get the race software to do this

you could change to Ecutek and get a ( which this will shock most, i would do in your position ) you have a old accessport which does not do as much as the new one and is worth @ £200 if your lucky now days,it sounds like you want to drive in drive out conversion - but it will cost you a lot more last time i looked stage one was £1100 + £300 for gearbox map then you will probably want a cable @ £250 then if you have a trendy iphone you can get BT dongle c/w app for another £250
I dont really want to go to stage 4 really i know everyone probably says this lol the most i wanted to go is stage 2 but tbh im more interested in sound and looks as the gtr is plenty fast enough for me.. my query on the software was more a concern as i didnt like the idea of a plug and play device but j know alot of people use them and have no issues .. it does seem im better getting all the parts together i want to add i.e exhausht down pipes then going in for the map to be done i just wanted 600bhp and around the same tourqe level ... thanks for the reply mate

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Tinyflier likes this.
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
terry lloyd is ........
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
terry lloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: peterborough
Posts: 1,920
While you are collecting you parts i would do a bit more research on your options , the difference in stage 2 tunes cobb ots v Ecutek is going to be little ( the injectors limit the gains ) both will give you @ 600hp if staying with cobb you will be getting your exhaust free - just to add i have used all of the cobb maps and personally was very happy with them the car drives better than stock without any issues - i have now got the software to map the car myself so am using a custom tune - here is a link about the newer maps

New v700 (BETA) Off The Shelf Maps - AccessTUNER - GT-R Life
stokegtrlad likes this.
__________________
terry lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
wd1506 is now running R35 and RR Sport
GT-RDC Member
 
wd1506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: stoke on trent
Cars owned: RR Sport autobiography, GTR, citroen DS3
Posts: 173
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokegtrlad View Post
Hi mate thanks for the reply yeah the car does seem drive well although its the 1st and only one i have driven so i dont really have anything to compare it to .. yes im from sunny old stoke mate

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
As you can see I to am a stoke man. Trentham. there seems to be getting a few around the Stoke area.
theres a white one meir park area.
another silver one Newcastle area.
blue one, a salesman at Scania.
gray one, Dans car sales A34,
my17 silver barlaston area,
R33 Hanford area.
do you use yours everyday or is it a weekend car.
__________________
wd1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd1506 View Post
As you can see I to am a stoke man. Trentham. there seems to be getting a few around the Stoke area.
theres a white one meir park area.
another silver one Newcastle area.
blue one, a salesman at Scania.
gray one, Dans car sales A34,
my17 silver barlaston area,
R33 Hanford area.
do you use yours everyday or is it a weekend car.
At least it isnt like when i hadd my evo ix there were more evos in stoke and local areas than anywhere else in the country lol... i dont use it everyday mate its going be abit of a garage queen and a show piece for my detailing bussiness .. i have seen a white 2011 r35 going down leek road a few times but thats it recently im sure i will spot loads now i have one its always the case lol

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
wd1506 is now running R35 and RR Sport
GT-RDC Member
 
wd1506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: stoke on trent
Cars owned: RR Sport autobiography, GTR, citroen DS3
Posts: 173
Cool

Mine is silver and totally stock looking. I use it everyday and its always got something to do with trucks in the boot.
where do run your detailing business from.
__________________
wd1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd1506 View Post
Mine is silver and totally stock looking. I use it everyday and its always got something to do with trucks in the boot.
where do run your detailing business from.
Mines stock but im looking for a decent set of wheels for her now dont want go crazy power just want give it a meaner stance and get a nice exhaust system on there .. i have only just started up full time i have been more of a hobby detailer for the past 6-7years only really detailing at weekends but i have decided take the plunge and try make a proper bussiness out of it i already own half of a metal fabrications company and have income from that and it kind of runs its self now .. im just finishing off my detailing studio in a double garage behind my existing unit in burslem it also doubles as a nice home for the gtr

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
stokegtrlad is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
stokegtrlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 142
This is my space i will be using 2 garages and a wash bay just waiting on my scissor lift and the lads are fabricating me some cabinets and im up and running so to speak

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Trevgtr likes this.
__________________
stokegtrlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com

tyreforums

 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.