GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   So I get a letter..... (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/513057-so-i-get-letter.html)

Chippy_Jersey 15th May 2017 08:11 PM

So I get a letter.....

From these jobs worths.........

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d5&oe=597D1626

Not sure if my reply is a bit OTT :chuckle:

Dear Sirs

I write further to your attached letter on 4th May 2017, which was post marked 5th May 2017 and received (I assume) on Monday 8th May 2017.

Firstly, I would like to point out that despite my attempts to contact your office today by telephone at 9:15am and again at 11:23am and having left messages both times, I have failed to receive any reply. Given the clearly extremely serious nature of the claimed infringement I find this somewhat puzzling.

However, I digress.

Secondly, your letter clearly states that the number plates affixed to the vehicle are illegal due to the spacing and the letter refers to “Article 6 (3) of the Motor Vehicle Registration (Jersey) Law 1993” (More correctly known as “Motor Vehicle Registration (General Provisions) (Jersey) Order 1993”), with Schedule 5, Part 3 being the relevant section for reference. In this respect, I have measured the current plates on my vehicle (with digital Vernier callipers to ensure accuracy) whilst referencing the minimum requirements in Schedule 5, Part 3 and confirm that my number plates are in compliance with the law with regards to spacing, in fact some of the measurements (such as the margin) actually exceed the minimum requirements.

The reason for me taking the measurements myself, rather than presenting the vehicle for inspection by your good selves (by the requested time and date of 16:00 on 12th May 2017) is evidenced as per the attached - I direct you to the attachment titled “Travel Details”. In this attachment, you will find evidence that I left the island at 7:05am on the 7th May and did not return until 16:55pm on the 12th May 2017 – clearly not having seen the initial letter being received on (I assume) the 8th May and not possibly being able to present the vehicle to you by the requisite time due to being somewhere over the English Channel at the time.

I would of course have explained the above to you, had my calls earlier today, been returned.

Whilst it is not clear why my number plates are deemed to be “illegal” (as per my evidence detailed above and referring your letter), I have taken the unusual step of ordering new plates (complaint with BS. AU. 145d. (per the previously described law) and being stamped as being in compliance with such). As you can see from the email confirmation attached (Titled “New Plates Order”) these were ordered at 19:15pm on the 12th May 2017 from a Jersey based number plate dealer – which I assume conforms to your “reputable” statement in your letter. Given that this was within an hour (accounting for baggage collection, taxi home, etc.) of my arriving at my home address, it is quite clear that I am making “better than best efforts” to resolve this issue. Again, I would have explained this on my call today, had someone had the courtesy to return my call.

I trust that the above is in order.

snuffy 15th May 2017 08:16 PM

Stick a photo of your number plates up then.

Chippy_Jersey 15th May 2017 08:19 PM

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bd&oe=59B8DDB0

NELLEE 15th May 2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy_Jersey (Post 5289321)
From these jobs worths.........

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d5&oe=597D1626

Not sure if my reply is a bit OTT :chuckle:

Dear Sirs

I write further to your attached letter on 4th May 2017, which was post marked 5th May 2017 and received (I assume) on Monday 8th May 2017.

Firstly, I would like to point out that despite my attempts to contact your office today by telephone at 9:15am and again at 11:23am and having left messages both times, I have failed to receive any reply. Given the clearly extremely serious nature of the claimed infringement I find this somewhat puzzling.

However, I digress.

Secondly, your letter clearly states that the number plates affixed to the vehicle are illegal due to the spacing and the letter refers to “Article 6 (3) of the Motor Vehicle Registration (Jersey) Law 1993” (More correctly known as “Motor Vehicle Registration (General Provisions) (Jersey) Order 1993”), with Schedule 5, Part 3 being the relevant section for reference. In this respect, I have measured the current plates on my vehicle (with digital Vernier callipers to ensure accuracy) whilst referencing the minimum requirements in Schedule 5, Part 3 and confirm that my number plates are in compliance with the law with regards to spacing, in fact some of the measurements (such as the margin) actually exceed the minimum requirements.

The reason for me taking the measurements myself, rather than presenting the vehicle for inspection by your good selves (by the requested time and date of 16:00 on 12th May 2017) is evidenced as per the attached - I direct you to the attachment titled “Travel Details”. In this attachment, you will find evidence that I left the island at 7:05am on the 7th May and did not return until 16:55pm on the 12th May 2017 – clearly not having seen the initial letter being received on (I assume) the 8th May and not possibly being able to present the vehicle to you by the requisite time due to being somewhere over the English Channel at the time.

I would of course have explained the above to you, had my calls earlier today, been returned.

Whilst it is not clear why my number plates are deemed to be “illegal” (as per my evidence detailed above and referring your letter), I have taken the unusual step of ordering new plates (complaint with BS. AU. 145d. (per the previously described law) and being stamped as being in compliance with such). As you can see from the email confirmation attached (Titled “New Plates Order”) these were ordered at 19:15pm on the 12th May 2017 from a Jersey based number plate dealer – which I assume conforms to your “reputable” statement in your letter. Given that this was within an hour (accounting for baggage collection, taxi home, etc.) of my arriving at my home address, it is quite clear that I am making “better than best efforts” to resolve this issue. Again, I would have explained this on my call today, had someone had the courtesy to return my call.

I trust that the above is in order.

I would have just asked them what evidence they have to state your plate is illegal, If your sure it complies that is?

Chippy_Jersey 15th May 2017 08:25 PM

They probably don't like the fact the letters aren't plain black and are carbon effect, but that's not what the letter says! T*ssers.

Trev 15th May 2017 08:51 PM

Can't see too much wrong?

Nice colour GT-R btw :smokin:

snuffy 15th May 2017 08:57 PM

That looks okay to me. No odd spacing or use of fixings to try and change the letter, that kind of thing.

I looked up Jersey legislation and found a couple of sites (which as you have measured it, I'm sure you too have done). The two laws are dated 2014 and 1993

I can't find anything about carbon effect characters, the 1993 law specifies the font and spacing and says they have to be black . They are legal in the UK. I suspect in 1993 no one had carbon effect plates.

But I'm sure you know all that anyway as you quoted the relevant law it back to them !!

V-SpecII 15th May 2017 09:27 PM

If the plates were legal why take the 'unusual steps' of ordering some more..??

Chippy_Jersey 15th May 2017 09:30 PM

Can be bothered with arguing the toss with them. Got better things to do with my time :-)

Prits_88 15th May 2017 09:36 PM

Off topic, but do you have rear parking sensors? What type if you dont mind me asking!

nismoman 15th May 2017 09:47 PM

as far as i know the carbon lettering is illegal ,thy are in the UK if you want to split hairs

TAZZMAXX 15th May 2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismoman (Post 5289497)
as far as i know the carbon lettering is illegal ,thy are in the UK if you want to split hairs

The letter states that spacing is the issue though. Maybe it's the last two letters that look like they have too much space?

snuffy 15th May 2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismoman (Post 5289497)

Nope, they are legal in the UK.

From Halfords.com:

"Lettering is also available in a choice of standard, hi-line, 3D or carbon.
All our new and replacement number plates are completely road legal and DVLA approved."

Chronos 15th May 2017 10:02 PM

Slow crime week in Jersey this week then! let's target the motorists.

snuffy 15th May 2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX (Post 5289521)
The letter states that spacing is the issue though. Maybe it's the last two letters that look like they have too much space?

The space between the 3 and the 7 does look a bit big but I'm not sure. If my imagine a vertical line at the character extremities they might be correct, it's just that the shape of the numbers make it look odd.

Adamantium 15th May 2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prits_88 (Post 5289481)
Off topic, but do you have rear parking sensors? What type if you dont mind me asking!

Standard front and rear on my17.

V-SpecII 15th May 2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy_Jersey (Post 5289449)
Can be bothered with arguing the toss with them. Got better things to do with my time :-)

No offence dude, you went in strong and I was proud of you for a minute until I got towards the end and you threw in the towel.

Got me all happy for nothing. :banned:

x

TAZZMAXX 15th May 2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snuffy (Post 5289569)
The space between the 3 and the 7 does look a bit big but I'm not sure. If my imagine a vertical line at the character extremities they might be correct, it's just that the shape of the numbers make it look odd.

That's exactly my thought on it and I think they have misinterpreted how number spacing is arrived at. Numpties.

Trevgtr 15th May 2017 10:36 PM

Jobsworth's alright!

Some coppers enforce laws to the letter, rather than to the spirit as intended. There's nothing remotely illegible about that plate, chasing it is a waste of everyones time.

Stealth69 15th May 2017 10:37 PM

Think the only thing that has got any spacing issues is the dopey jobs worth knob head that thinks he's measured it all up rights ruler........ I assume he measured it otherwise how would he be able to tell?!

|----| = 6" on his ruler probably