So I get a letter..... - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance


Like Tree12Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th May 2017, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chippy_Jersey is a newbie
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
Chippy_Jersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jersey
Posts: 74
So I get a letter.....

From these jobs worths.........



Not sure if my reply is a bit OTT

Dear Sirs

I write further to your attached letter on 4th May 2017, which was post marked 5th May 2017 and received (I assume) on Monday 8th May 2017.

Firstly, I would like to point out that despite my attempts to contact your office today by telephone at 9:15am and again at 11:23am and having left messages both times, I have failed to receive any reply. Given the clearly extremely serious nature of the claimed infringement I find this somewhat puzzling.

However, I digress.

Secondly, your letter clearly states that the number plates affixed to the vehicle are illegal due to the spacing and the letter refers to “Article 6 (3) of the Motor Vehicle Registration (Jersey) Law 1993” (More correctly known as “Motor Vehicle Registration (General Provisions) (Jersey) Order 1993”), with Schedule 5, Part 3 being the relevant section for reference. In this respect, I have measured the current plates on my vehicle (with digital Vernier callipers to ensure accuracy) whilst referencing the minimum requirements in Schedule 5, Part 3 and confirm that my number plates are in compliance with the law with regards to spacing, in fact some of the measurements (such as the margin) actually exceed the minimum requirements.

The reason for me taking the measurements myself, rather than presenting the vehicle for inspection by your good selves (by the requested time and date of 16:00 on 12th May 2017) is evidenced as per the attached - I direct you to the attachment titled “Travel Details”. In this attachment, you will find evidence that I left the island at 7:05am on the 7th May and did not return until 16:55pm on the 12th May 2017 – clearly not having seen the initial letter being received on (I assume) the 8th May and not possibly being able to present the vehicle to you by the requisite time due to being somewhere over the English Channel at the time.

I would of course have explained the above to you, had my calls earlier today, been returned.

Whilst it is not clear why my number plates are deemed to be “illegal” (as per my evidence detailed above and referring your letter), I have taken the unusual step of ordering new plates (complaint with BS. AU. 145d. (per the previously described law) and being stamped as being in compliance with such). As you can see from the email confirmation attached (Titled “New Plates Order”) these were ordered at 19:15pm on the 12th May 2017 from a Jersey based number plate dealer – which I assume conforms to your “reputable” statement in your letter. Given that this was within an hour (accounting for baggage collection, taxi home, etc.) of my arriving at my home address, it is quite clear that I am making “better than best efforts” to resolve this issue. Again, I would have explained this on my call today, had someone had the courtesy to return my call.

I trust that the above is in order.
__________________
Chippy_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !
 
snuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chester
Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Posts: 1,957
Stick a photo of your number plates up then.
__________________
MY10 Black Edition - Ocean Satin Shimmer
Russ Fellows Unsilenced Exhaust
MY2013 TCM
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chippy_Jersey is a newbie
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
Chippy_Jersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jersey
Posts: 74
__________________
Chippy_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 15th May 2017, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
NELLEE is Attracted to women half his age and half is weight!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
NELLEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cheshire R35 DMG 2009/ 2012 Black r35
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Jersey View Post
From these jobs worths.........



Not sure if my reply is a bit OTT

Dear Sirs

I write further to your attached letter on 4th May 2017, which was post marked 5th May 2017 and received (I assume) on Monday 8th May 2017.

Firstly, I would like to point out that despite my attempts to contact your office today by telephone at 9:15am and again at 11:23am and having left messages both times, I have failed to receive any reply. Given the clearly extremely serious nature of the claimed infringement I find this somewhat puzzling.

However, I digress.

Secondly, your letter clearly states that the number plates affixed to the vehicle are illegal due to the spacing and the letter refers to “Article 6 (3) of the Motor Vehicle Registration (Jersey) Law 1993” (More correctly known as “Motor Vehicle Registration (General Provisions) (Jersey) Order 1993”), with Schedule 5, Part 3 being the relevant section for reference. In this respect, I have measured the current plates on my vehicle (with digital Vernier callipers to ensure accuracy) whilst referencing the minimum requirements in Schedule 5, Part 3 and confirm that my number plates are in compliance with the law with regards to spacing, in fact some of the measurements (such as the margin) actually exceed the minimum requirements.

The reason for me taking the measurements myself, rather than presenting the vehicle for inspection by your good selves (by the requested time and date of 16:00 on 12th May 2017) is evidenced as per the attached - I direct you to the attachment titled “Travel Details”. In this attachment, you will find evidence that I left the island at 7:05am on the 7th May and did not return until 16:55pm on the 12th May 2017 – clearly not having seen the initial letter being received on (I assume) the 8th May and not possibly being able to present the vehicle to you by the requisite time due to being somewhere over the English Channel at the time.

I would of course have explained the above to you, had my calls earlier today, been returned.

Whilst it is not clear why my number plates are deemed to be “illegal” (as per my evidence detailed above and referring your letter), I have taken the unusual step of ordering new plates (complaint with BS. AU. 145d. (per the previously described law) and being stamped as being in compliance with such). As you can see from the email confirmation attached (Titled “New Plates Order”) these were ordered at 19:15pm on the 12th May 2017 from a Jersey based number plate dealer – which I assume conforms to your “reputable” statement in your letter. Given that this was within an hour (accounting for baggage collection, taxi home, etc.) of my arriving at my home address, it is quite clear that I am making “better than best efforts” to resolve this issue. Again, I would have explained this on my call today, had someone had the courtesy to return my call.

I trust that the above is in order.
I would have just asked them what evidence they have to state your plate is illegal, If your sure it complies that is?
__________________
NELLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chippy_Jersey is a newbie
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
Chippy_Jersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jersey
Posts: 74
They probably don't like the fact the letters aren't plain black and are carbon effect, but that's not what the letter says! T*ssers.
__________________
Chippy_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trev is Team Sheldrake Racing
Registered
 
Trev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Surrey
Cars owned: R32 GT-R
Posts: 6,750
Cool

Can't see too much wrong?

Nice colour GT-R btw
__________________
Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !
 
snuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chester
Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Posts: 1,957
That looks okay to me. No odd spacing or use of fixings to try and change the letter, that kind of thing.

I looked up Jersey legislation and found a couple of sites (which as you have measured it, I'm sure you too have done). The two laws are dated 2014 and 1993

I can't find anything about carbon effect characters, the 1993 law specifies the font and spacing and says they have to be black . They are legal in the UK. I suspect in 1993 no one had carbon effect plates.

But I'm sure you know all that anyway as you quoted the relevant law it back to them !!
Chippy_Jersey likes this.
__________________
MY10 Black Edition - Ocean Satin Shimmer
Russ Fellows Unsilenced Exhaust
MY2013 TCM
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
V-SpecII is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
V-SpecII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nuneaton
Cars owned: Soon R34
Posts: 2,100
If the plates were legal why take the 'unusual steps' of ordering some more..??
__________________
V-SpecII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chippy_Jersey is a newbie
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
Chippy_Jersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jersey
Posts: 74
Can be bothered with arguing the toss with them. Got better things to do with my time :-)
V-SpecII likes this.
__________________
Chippy_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Prits_88 is happy
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Cars owned: GTR R35 (2014)
Posts: 103
Off topic, but do you have rear parking sensors? What type if you dont mind me asking!
__________________
Prits_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
nismoman is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Founder Member
 
nismoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,414
as far as i know the carbon lettering is illegal ,thy are in the UK if you want to split hairs
TREG likes this.
__________________
voted best r34 gtr at 2005 national day
voted best r34 gtr at 2006 national day
voted best overall car at 2006 national day
nismoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN
 
TAZZMAXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoman View Post
as far as i know the carbon lettering is illegal ,thy are in the UK if you want to split hairs
The letter states that spacing is the issue though. Maybe it's the last two letters that look like they have too much space?
__________________
Ambition is the last refuge of failure
TAZZMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !
 
snuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chester
Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Posts: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoman View Post
as far as i know the carbon lettering is illegal ,thy are in the UK if you want to split hairs
Nope, they are legal in the UK.

From Halfords.com:

"Lettering is also available in a choice of standard, hi-line, 3D or carbon.
All our new and replacement number plates are completely road legal and DVLA approved."
__________________
MY10 Black Edition - Ocean Satin Shimmer
Russ Fellows Unsilenced Exhaust
MY2013 TCM
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member
 
Chronos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Planet R35
Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Posts: 5,782
Slow crime week in Jersey this week then! let's target the motorists.
Chippy_Jersey likes this.
__________________
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
snuffy is is well aware they can edit their status but hasdecided not to.
Ooo Matron !
 
snuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chester
Cars owned: GT-R & Fiat 500
Posts: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX View Post
The letter states that spacing is the issue though. Maybe it's the last two letters that look like they have too much space?
The space between the 3 and the 7 does look a bit big but I'm not sure. If my imagine a vertical line at the character extremities they might be correct, it's just that the shape of the numbers make it look odd.
__________________
MY10 Black Edition - Ocean Satin Shimmer
Russ Fellows Unsilenced Exhaust
MY2013 TCM
ACSpeedtech EcuTek RaceRom 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Adamantium is apparently poisonous to Wolverine - who knew?
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London
Cars owned: Audi S5 3.0TFSi, Audi Q5 3.0TDi
Posts: 9,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prits_88 View Post
Off topic, but do you have rear parking sensors? What type if you dont mind me asking!
Standard front and rear on my17.
__________________


Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
V-SpecII is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
V-SpecII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nuneaton
Cars owned: Soon R34
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Jersey View Post
Can be bothered with arguing the toss with them. Got better things to do with my time :-)
No offence dude, you went in strong and I was proud of you for a minute until I got towards the end and you threw in the towel.

Got me all happy for nothing.

x
__________________
V-SpecII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN
 
TAZZMAXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
The space between the 3 and the 7 does look a bit big but I'm not sure. If my imagine a vertical line at the character extremities they might be correct, it's just that the shape of the numbers make it look odd.
That's exactly my thought on it and I think they have misinterpreted how number spacing is arrived at. Numpties.
__________________
Ambition is the last refuge of failure
TAZZMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member
 
Trevgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somerset
Posts: 2,354
Jobsworth's alright!

Some coppers enforce laws to the letter, rather than to the spirit as intended. There's nothing remotely illegible about that plate, chasing it is a waste of everyones time.
__________________
Trevgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stealth69 is touching himself furiously in a desperate bid to get warm
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambs
Posts: 3,180
Think the only thing that has got any spacing issues is the dopey jobs worth knob head that thinks he's measured it all up rights ruler........ I assume he measured it otherwise how would he be able to tell?!

|----| = 6" on his ruler probably
__________________
Stealth69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com

tyreforums

 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.