DIY: 1 Step headlight restore - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline and Stagea "How to" and DIY guides
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance


Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By saabi

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21st May 2017, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
saabi is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
saabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 23
DIY: 1 Step headlight restore

My Skyline's headlight had turned pretty yellow. I know aferx did a DIY on restoring headlamps, but mine was hazy and didn't have many obvious scratches. Also, I wanted to try this Meguiar's 1 step kit and see what results I get.

The Kit I used is the one:
Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit

It comes with a sanding kit which I did not use. (for now)

This is what the Headlamp looked like


First step is to clean the headlights thoroughly.
I covered the bumper only and opened the bonnet. So the only bodywork which was exposed was the fender and the Grille. I was really careful around them. But if you like, you could cover those too.

Then it is a simple case of attaching the supplied Buffing Applicator to your hand drill, apply the PlastX to your applicator and begin. I made a video of how I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHGvr2jOiE

As in the video, buff the lamp until it is all gone. I got a decent result from just one go. If you are not happy with one, apply more PlastX and go once more.
Once the buffing procedure is done, just wipe the residue with a clean microfiber cloth.

Here is the before


And after


Very pleased with the results. Hope it helps others.
I found this kit cheapest on Amazon.
Kind regards,
Saabi
truupR and Jay46 like this.
__________________

Last edited by saabi; 21st May 2017 at 08:53 PM..
saabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
truupR is wanting more low
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Cars owned: R33 GTR
Posts: 390
nice results, though you'll get even better results by first sanding down the headlight. Here's a vid I watched a while ago before I did mine on a previous car:

AmmoNYC headlight restoration
__________________
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
saabi is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
saabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 23
Wow.
Thanks for that. That had some great info. I will go down the sanding route next time.
__________________
saabi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 21st May 2017, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
truupR is wanting more low
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Cars owned: R33 GTR
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabi View Post
Wow.
Thanks for that. That had some great info. I will go down the sanding route next time.
It seems scary at first. Sandpaper? on your car?! but its really to remove the now broken down UV coating. Once you strip that off and polish it up, they come out brand new. Just make sure you get a wax with UV protection otherwise they'll turn yellow again fairly fast.

I usually do a quick 'top up' polish with the DA every couple of washes to stop them yellowing again.

Nice work so far
__________________
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
saabi is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
saabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 23
It seems scary and requires a lot of patience
UV protection coating is a must like you said. I think I will get it and apply it on top of this for the time being and see how it lasts

Thanks!

How long ago did you restore your lights properly?
__________________
saabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
truupR is wanting more low
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Cars owned: R33 GTR
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabi View Post
It seems scary and requires a lot of patience
UV protection coating is a must like you said. I think I will get it and apply it on top of this for the time being and see how it lasts

Thanks!

How long ago did you restore your lights properly?
It does take a while to do. Perhaps 30 mins per headlight with all the steps.

I did mine a year ago. Will be re-doing soon as I didn't have anything lower than 2000 grit sandpaper, need something more aggressive to start and take off that extra layer.

__________________
truupR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jay46 is one hell of a dancer
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
Jay46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Kerry, Ireland
Posts: 49
I do this daily on my own stock but with the R34 build I went a step further. Sanded them down with 1000, then back over with 1500. After that went two good coats of lacquer. Amazing finish. Obviously out of the car to do it! I have some slight staining inside the lens on one side so might take the headlights apart and see what can be done with that.




Rear lights and indicators all got the same treatment except with some black ran through the clear to tint them. Replaced all the bulbs with LEDs to compensate for the tints and make them more visble.

__________________
Jay46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
saabi is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
saabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by truupR View Post
It does take a while to do. Perhaps 30 mins per headlight with all the steps.

I did mine a year ago. Will be re-doing soon as I didn't have anything lower than 2000 grit sandpaper, need something more aggressive to start and take off that extra layer.

They definitely look sharper. 30 minute on each lamp is worth it I think. I will give this a go next time round.
__________________
saabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
saabi is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
saabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Coventry
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay46 View Post
I do this daily on my own stock but with the R34 build I went a step further. Sanded them down with 1000, then back over with 1500. After that went two good coats of lacquer. Amazing finish. Obviously out of the car to do it! I have some slight staining inside the lens on one side so might take the headlights apart and see what can be done with that.




Rear lights and indicators all got the same treatment except with some black ran through the clear to tint them. Replaced all the bulbs with LEDs to compensate for the tints and make them more visble.

Really nice work! They look brand new. Can't really tell the inner staining. I guess it gets more visible when you turn the lights on?

What type of Leds did you go in the back? Are they 1157s?
__________________
saabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com

tyreforums

 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.