Introduction Thread - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan Skyline Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tarmac terror
  • 1 Post By anthonymcgrath

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
oSkylines is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Introduction Thread

R33 GTR New Owner
Hey guys, My fiance and i made the jump into the Skyline world last weekend by purchasing this 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR. As it sits , it is essentially completely stock with a few minor things that i need to address ( front lip, boot seal, the side lights are missing, etc) but overall I must say i am beyond excited to have another project vehicle.

That being said, we are located in the United States, and the vehicle , due to importation laws , must stay in Canada until it reaches 25 years of age ( or is brought up to compliance, which i would prefer not waste money on)

I have been pretty much been spending all of my time of this forum trying to absorb as much knowledge from it as possible, as this is not only my first Skyline, first import, but also my first boosted vehicle. Looking forward to speaking with the lot of you guys!

I suppose for the sake of mentioning , the vehicle has approx 85k miles (140.000km) on the Odometer, but i have heard that Odometers are frequently swapped out, so i am unable to verify true miles. The vehicle suffers from misfire under rapid acceleration, under boost especially, but i attribute this to the 4 year old gas that was in it when i purchased the vehicle, and the (as far as i know) original coils in it. My intentions are to place Splitfire coils in it asap, i have ran about a half of tank through it from buying point to storage facility, and that had helped some of the misfiring but not resolved completely. New plugs and fluids are in the near future as well, but my time was limited my previous trip and I was unable to complete everything i had desired to.

My goals long term for this vehicle ( aside from aesthetics) is to get it running between 400-450whp and spooling by 4k rpm . I have seen a handful of people posting things regarding E85 (which is flexfuel in my country if i interpret the forums correctly) and getting some impressive dyno numbers, so that is also something I am interested in reading more about. If anybody has any build threads they could suggest , i would appreciate it ! (Trust that i will also be utilizing the search function, but if you are feeling generous :10_wink: ) Thanks Guys, Looking forward to being part of the family!

PS. Before anybody mentions it, My intentions are to fix issues, refresh engine where possible, and then upgrade , try to start a racecar's life at 100,00 miles. I have nearly 3 years before i can drive it to the states, so i have plenty of time to work on and address issues.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would link pictures, but unfortunately there is a 3 post limit to posting links and pictures. Will post them as soon as i reach appropriate count.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mookistar is so happy to be out of Skyline ownership
Site Admin.

Cars owned: Mookiwagen Passat and a good nights sleep
welcome to the family!

Old 23rd June 2017, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Welcome....

Sounds like you have a clear plan in your head which is good. Lots of info and knowledge on here so feel free to ask. Obviously try and search first but don't be shy to ask!

First turbo car eh!? It's not too much of a mystery and is nothing to be feared. By the sounds of it I imagine you will be doing most of the work yourself? I would reccomend the Motorbooks Turbocharging Performance Handbook...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbochargi...mance+handbook

A useful guide to how turbocharging works and some good advice/examples. Well worth it IMHO.

Look forward to hearing about your progress....even if it IS an R33

TT
mk1gti79.ms and oSkylines like this.
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
anthonymcgrath is probably succumbing to gravity... lemme check.. yep.. still there funnily enough

Cars owned: R33 gtst
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
Welcome....

Sounds like you have a clear plan in your head which is good. Lots of info and knowledge on here so feel free to ask. Obviously try and search first but don't be shy to ask!

First turbo car eh!? It's not too much of a mystery and is nothing to be feared. By the sounds of it I imagine you will be doing most of the work yourself? I would reccomend the Motorbooks Turbocharging Performance Handbook...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbochargi...mance+handbook

A useful guide to how turbocharging works and some good advice/examples. Well worth it IMHO.

Look forward to hearing about your progress....even if it IS an R33

TT
How have I never seen that book?! Cheers TT it's on order

Welcome to the gang. Bunch of friendly spods on here and always willing to help and if your near to other owners they'll drive out to see you an the car.

4krpm and a responsive 450 is a breeze. Plenty of tubs will do that for you. Good ecu management will def help too once you've done the refresh. All the skylines are cracking cars I've had 4 over 10 years.. I just going back to em.. tried supra and rx7 just not the same. I've got a fully refreshed and rebuilt r32gtr and i just utterly love it as a daily or a fast road. Turns so many heads and always coming out of shops to see ppl stood around it heh!
Ant

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mk1gti79.ms likes this.
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
goinsleeper is becoming self-aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSkylines View Post
That being said, we are located in the United States, and the vehicle , due to importation laws , must stay in Canada until it reaches 25 years of age ( or is brought up to compliance, which i would prefer not waste money on)
Safe to assume you live near the border?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
goinsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsleeper View Post
Safe to assume you live near the border?
haha i guess that depends on what you mean by "near"
i am located approximately 7.5 hours from Ottawa, in Central Pennsylvania. I may just have an unhealthy level of dedication, which while I'm sure the car will appreciate it, my wallet rarely does.