RB26 Hybrid Twin Turbo - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Turbos
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13th July 2017, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
p1k4mp3 is awaiting to receive an ER34 GTT
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

RB26 Hybrid Twin Turbo

Hey People.

I was wondering to know, what benefits and power/torque limits can I go if I ask to hybrid my stock twin turbos on my stock RB26 block?

The reason it's to stay as stock appearance as possible

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland.
Old 13th July 2017, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1k4mp3 View Post
Hey People.

I was wondering to know, what benefits and power/torque limits can I go if I ask to hybrid my stock twin turbos on my stock RB26 block?

Google RB26 GT2860-5
Old 13th July 2017, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cris is enjoying the naughtiest of the three sisters
Owner of the MSNSPS

Cars owned: BNR32, RGV, 330i
Quote:
Hey People.

Have a kook at a threads like CT17s. Richard I believe used to run some some nice units in the oem location. I think on the SAU forum you'll find power curves from people running the GTX versions too.

Old 13th July 2017, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scott is GTROC #005
GTROC Co-Founder.

Cars owned: BNR32.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Google RB26 GT2860-5
Or GT2860-7

O O SKYLINE O O

My R32's full restoration:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Air Filters:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Indeed. or GT-SS.

Don't see much point in sticking rigidly to stock config when all these fit no problem with proven results, but happy to be corrected!
Old 13th July 2017, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Indeed. or GT-SS.

Don't see much point in sticking rigidly to stock config when all these fit no problem with proven results, but happy to be corrected!
Those turbos are much bigger than stock ones?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk
Old 13th July 2017, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
truupR is wanting more low

Cars owned: R33 GTR
Quote:
I'm not sure about physical size but the GT-SS, GT-RS, 2860-5 and -7's are all direct bolt on replacements (afaik)
Old 13th July 2017, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Owner of the MSNSPS

Quote:

How close to the originals do you need them to be?

The HKS turbos have 'HKS' cast into them which is a bit of a giveaway. Of course if someone is just looking at the engine bay at the roadside they are unlikely to notice.

Old 13th July 2017, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
David is unaware they can edit their status
Registered

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Silvia Spec R
It depends what "hybrid" means in your question if this means new bolt in turbos all the above option are correct. If you mean what spec can you rebuild your current turbo's to its going to be much more limited.
Old 13th July 2017, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It depends what "hybrid" means in your question if this means new bolt in turbos all the above option are correct. If you mean what spec can you rebuild your current turbo's to its going to be much more limited.
It all depends on the price.
How much cost to rebuild the 2 stock turbos?
Stock hybrid are reliable?
Pros and cons in comparison with 2860?

Old 13th July 2017, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Turbo Technics quoted me £600 per turbo for a full recondition.

This included the:

- T28 conversion (to run more boost with zero concern)
- 360 deg thrust bearing
- twin competition seal kit
- new roller bearings (they didn't see it cost effective to switch to BB)
- new adjustable actuators
- steel turbine
- all used parts are replaced

Reason I enquired was my 32 is all stock, albeit for a few Nismo parts. So I wanted to retain the stock factor but with a slight increase in power - thought going hybrid on the oe turbos would be a good way forward.
Old 13th July 2017, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
You may as well buy new turbos for a little more!
Old 28th January 2018, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Vinc3 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoor View Post
Turbo Technics quoted me £600 per turbo for a full recondition.

This included the:

- T28 conversion (to run more boost with zero concern)
- 360 deg thrust bearing
- twin competition seal kit
- new roller bearings (they didn't see it cost effective to switch to BB)
- new adjustable actuators
- steel turbine
- all used parts are replaced
Hi guys, I'm very new to the scene and very new to this forum... I'll post a hello thread/post soon, but in the meantime I'm very curious as to whether anybody has gone with the Turbo Technics hybrid conversion/refurbishment, and if you have, what kind of power one could expect with these turbos...

They seem like a good economic option...

I've just bought an R33 GTR V-Spec, standard ECU, aftermarket exhaust but still with cat, so I'm guessing that she's running around 310 BHP? I've no idea as I'm very new to the GTR scene...

Waiting to finish building my garage before I pick the car up, but definitely would like more power, probably 600 BHP, but in the meantime I'm happy to go with an Apexi ECU, decat, downpipe, HKS silent power exhaust and hopefully get around 450 BHP for the first year or so.

Anyhow, Hi and thanks for any replies.

Cheers

Vince (Kent, UK)
Old 28th January 2018, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
RSVFOUR is has actually finished his 32GTR
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: Giken powered Stagea , 32GTR , Brabus SLK, 1973 Porsche 911 , Autech Axis Stagea
no point in changing the turbos twice or rebuilding yours only to change them later

If you do want 600 then 2860-5s are the best proven option to run that power without going silly on the boost level. But you will need more than just the turbos

The smaller garrett turbos or hybrid conversion wont run that 500/550 maybe but not 600.

If you want to be looking close to stock they will do that also.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
jnoor is told I am addicted to this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc3 View Post
Hi guys, I'm very new to the scene and very new to this forum... I'll post a hello thread/post soon, but in the meantime I'm very curious as to whether anybody has gone with the Turbo Technics hybrid conversion/refurbishment, and if you have, what kind of power one could expect with these turbos...

They seem like a good economic option...

I've just bought an R33 GTR V-Spec, standard ECU, aftermarket exhaust but still with cat, so I'm guessing that she's running around 310 BHP? I've no idea as I'm very new to the GTR scene...

Waiting to finish building my garage before I pick the car up, but definitely would like more power, probably 600 BHP, but in the meantime I'm happy to go with an Apexi ECU, decat, downpipe, HKS silent power exhaust and hopefully get around 450 BHP for the first year or so.

Anyhow, Hi and thanks for any replies.

Cheers

Vince (Kent, UK)
Vince if you're looking at the 600 mark you're better off with just investing with the 2860s.

The only reason I enquired of converting my OEs to hybrid was because I didn't want to go over 450. Yes 2860s would are still a great choice at 450 but I personally just want to retain some stock factor to the car.

I think power figures above 500 would be best achieved with a solid upgrade to 2860s.
Old 29th January 2018, 02:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vinc3 is unaware they can edit their status

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoor View Post
Vince if you're looking at the 600 mark you're better off with just investing with the 2860s.

The only reason I enquired of converting my OEs to hybrid was because I didn't want to go over 450. Yes 2860s would are still a great choice at 450 but I personally just want to retain some stock factor to the car.

I think power figures above 500 would be best achieved with a solid upgrade to 2860s.
Thanks for the advice jnoor...

I want to keep the costs down initially, so was thinking of the Turbo Technics hybrids, which are good to 500+ each turbo, so they'll be plenty. I emailed them today and they told me that the spool time on the hybrid would be the same or a little more than the OEM M24's, however as there's still a cat and stock I/C on the car, once they're replaced it should speed the spool time up.

What can the stock turbo's, fuel pump, injectors, inter cooler handle? It may be best for me to just go with the Apexi FC, decat, downpipe HKS system and remap to begin with, but I've no idea what that would take me to.

I could then go with cams & larger turbo's pulleys etc for the stage 2 to hit the 500 mark, if needs be.

Sorry for the questions, I know that there's a sh1t tonne of information on this forum, it's just trying to find it all and remember it...

Thanks again,

Vince

Last edited by Vinc3; 29th January 2018 at 02:27 PM..
Vinc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Owner of the MSNSPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc3 View Post
Thanks for the advice jnoor...

I want to keep the costs down initially, so was thinking of the Turbo Technics hybrids, which are good to 500+ each turbo, so they'll be plenty. I emailed them today and they told me that the spool time on the hybrid would be the same or a little more than the OEM M24's, however as there's still a cat and stock I/C on the car, once they're replaced it should speed the spool time up.

What can the stock turbo's, fuel pump, injectors, inter cooler handle? It may be best for me to just go with the Apexi FC, decat, downpipe HKS system and remap to begin with, but I've no idea what that would take me to.

I could then go with cams & larger turbo's pulleys etc for the stage 2 to hit the 500 mark, if needs be.

Sorry for the questions, I know that there's a sh1t tonne of information on this forum, it's just trying to find it all and remember it...

Thanks again,

Vince
Have a look at Nistune. Better than powerfc IMHO.

Limit will be stock injectors. You might see a bit more than 400bhp with them.

If you are paying £600 each to get turbos rebuilt I think you are mad. They are old technology. Brand new -7s should be £700 each they are much newer technology than the hybrid t28s.