Journey to a GTR - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree25Likes
  • 8 Post By RJA999
  • 1 Post By james_barker
  • 1 Post By DocT
  • 1 Post By TAZZMAXX
  • 1 Post By Cro
  • 1 Post By Cardiff R33
  • 3 Post By RJA999
  • 1 Post By Trevgtr
  • 1 Post By Venner
  • 2 Post By Chronos
  • 1 Post By Chris****
  • 1 Post By charles charlie
  • 1 Post By Killerscum01
  • 1 Post By Stealth69
  • 1 Post By Alex C

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th July 2017, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
RJA999 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Journey to a GTR

Well, I have been lurking on here for while so thought it time I contributed to the forum, introduced myself and gave some (hopefully) interesting insight into my experience with my GTR in the first few months of ownership.

I have arrived at GTR ownership via 997 Carrera S and then a BMW M4, the GTR is an itch I had to scratch, and so far am very glad I took the plunge, although it's been an unconventional journey, to say the least.

The M4 was a lovely car, very quick particularly after it was remapped and exhaust replaced, but the build quality inside was really horrendous, with many rattles and squeaks that for someone like myself became hard to bear, the dealers attempt to resolve this was pathetic, as was their approach to customer service in general.

The other drawback with the M4 was the attitude of other road users towards it, you never get let in or out, and nobody ever gets out of your way, with the GTR my experience is the polar opposite.

Having only owned the M4 for 10 months I initially offered it back to the main dealer, they offered me a ridiculous price which was around 2k lower than even what webuyanycar were willing to pay, this has made me very hostile towards purchasing any BMW in the future, for myself or the Mrs.

I decided it was time to buy a GTR and happened to discover a 14 plate car for sale at the main dealer in T-Wells. I visited them and to be fair they were very professional and accommodating, I discovered the vehicle history, had an extended test drive and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, though again I was offered a crazy PX figure (probably because they offered it to the same dealer I had bought it from). They tried to do a deal but it just was not working out.

I decided to sell the M4 privately which I managed to do within 48 hrs of advertising it and got about 5k more than was offered in PX, very happily I went straight back to the Nissan dealer only to see the car I had wanted to buy had gone off their website.

Disappointed, I started a new search but happened to find a very similar car going through the auction at Paddock Wood the very next day, in fact, the car in question was not similar, checking the plate it was THE car I had driven at the main dealer.

Quick day off work arranged and to cut a long story short the next day I drove the GTR home, and for 7k less than the main dealer had it advertised for.

Perhaps I took a risk but it's a gamble that has pretty much paid off. The car was due a service, so off to Sly at Kaizer it went, 1 x full 3 yr service, new pads front and back + a Kaizer warranty package and a stage 1 Litchfield remap +bluetooth interface, a few grand lighter but a very happy man, now with renewed confidence after it was given a very clean bill of health from Sly.

Quickly establishing with a good friend that also owns a remapped M4 that my GTR with stage 1 is more or less identical in performance to what I owned before I decided very quickly to go directly to stage 4.25, again Sly at Kaizer providing the solution, however, this didn't go entirely to plan. Unfortunately, one of the downpipe studs sheared, and with Sly being the consummate professional it was engine out turbo off, and off the engineering company to be resolved.

So a bit more expensive than planned (also had to replace one of the downpipe sensors) but what I have now is I believe the real deal, the performance is night and day compared to the stage 1, the torque makes its presence felt much earlier and turbos now spool boost far more quickly, I think this has to be pound for pound the best conversion.

Downsides? Well they are not so much downsides, more observations that maybe I wouldn't choose if I could, the soot on hard acceleration is a little bit more than I expected, not sure what I can do about this, and the smell when parking in the garage means a quick exit is required, not really the end of the world.

I have a small knocking from the Milltek around the rear box when going over slow speed bumps and pot holes, strangely this seems to get less when the car is warm, I am sure Sly can resolve, and I am a little OCD that the rear carbon undertray that hides the exhaust is not symmetrical with the bumper, again, easily resolved I hope.

Overall I am a very happy chappy, don't have a clue what car I want next (apart from another GTR) and its the 1st time in years I have felt that way about what I am driving.

One more thing, the GTR interior build quality is head and shoulders above my M4, people may say the GTR has a cheap interior, but it doesn't rattle, squeak or vibrate like the M4, and for me I don't find the interior cheap looking at all.

Finally, I am resolute that stage 4.25 is where the mods stop.......but it's kind of a bug this power thing isn't it I am happy how it is, but if a 8-900hp came up for sale and it was the right year spec and price, I think I could now be really tempted.

Well that's me and my journey/experience so far, thanks for all the tips I have picked up from the forum that have helped me so far, and if I can contribute to anyone's experience I am very happy to do so.

Regards

Richard
Old 26th July 2017, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
james_barker is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

You're local to me. I'm orpington. Race?!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
RJA999 likes this.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
DocT is Litchfield LM1 storm trooper
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Enjoyable read.

I kind of wish I'd bought a stock car and upgraded through the stages instead of buying my 4.25. The performance is still savage but the power does become more familiar.
RJA999 likes this.

Old 26th July 2017, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
TAZZMAXX is ...............
ADMIN

Welcome to the forum Richard, glad you're happy with the new purchase. Good intro.

Post often, ask plenty of questions and get some photos up.

RJA999 likes this.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_barker View Post
You're local to me. I'm orpington. Race?!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Often on the M20, but want to keep the clean licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT View Post
Enjoyable read.

I kind of wish I'd bought a stock car and upgraded through the stages instead of buying my 4.25. The performance is still savage but the power does become more familiar.
I think that goes for anything you drive after a while, memories fade and familiarity makes us all complacent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZMAXX View Post
Welcome to the forum Richard, glad you're happy with the new purchase. Good intro.

Post often, ask plenty of questions and get some photos up.

Thanks very much, will do as you suggest
Old 26th July 2017, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Prits_88 is happy

Cars owned: GTR R35 (2014)
Enjoy mate. I'm close to u in Ashford Kent. Let me know if u fancy a ride out sometime

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 26th July 2017, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prits_88 View Post
Enjoy mate. I'm close to u in Ashford Kent. Let me know if u fancy a ride out sometime

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Thanks very much, will take you up on that
Old 26th July 2017, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cro
Cro is On the hunt

Great read, on the hunt for one myself so it's great to hear recent opinions from owners coming from other cars. Plenty of people are quick to suggest the likes of the M4, C63 etc as alternatives so its nice to read something that confirms I'm on the right track
RJA999 likes this.

Last edited by Cro; 27th July 2017 at 07:23 AM..
Cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cardiff R33 is trying to resist mods
GT-RDC Member

Great result overall and welcome!
RJA999 likes this.
Old 26th July 2017, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro View Post
Great read, on the hunt for one myself so it's great to hear recent opinions from owners coming from other cars. Plenty of people are quick to suggest the likes of the M4, C63 etc as alternatives so its nice to read something that confirms I'm not the right track
good to hear !

The thing with the M4 is its not in any way a "bad" car, IMO it doesnt look different enough from other 4 series inside or out, and being rear wheel drive and having ridiculous torque at such low revs, even more so after remapping, you always get the feeling when pushing on that it's going to do something unpredictable, hence why there are so many cat D's available.

The build quality and the dealers for me are the biggest problems, the quality is nowhere near say a similar Audi, and the dealers really dont give a s**t.

From a driving experience perspective, I get excited in a really childish way when I a know I am going to drive the GTR, never felt that way in the M4 or the 911 actually, although the 911 was a better experience than the M4.

Each and everyone to their own of course, I would never criticise anyone for going down the M4, C63 or even the Alfa route, but for me I wish I had skipped the M4 and gone straight to the GTR.
Bennyboy1984, Chronos and Cro like this.
Old 27th July 2017, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA999 View Post
... and to cut a long story short ...

Regards

Richard
Haha, couldn't resist quoting that bit, which appeared right in the middle of the other 18 paragraphs!

Only joking, welcome to the GT-R world!
RJA999 likes this.
Old 27th July 2017, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Venner is Stage 1 2009 GTR Black Edition

Cars owned: 2009 GTR Black Edition
Quote:
good to hear !

From a driving experience perspective, I get excited in a really childish way when I a know I am going to drive the GTR, never felt that way in the M4 or the 911 actually, although the 911 was a better experience than the M4. .
I get that childish feeling every time i go for a drive aswell.
RJA999 likes this.
Old 27th July 2017, 02:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chronos is ripping up the tarmac with Godzilla ALL year round
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R35 Black Edition
Quote:
good to hear !

The thing with the M4 is its not in any way a "bad" car, IMO it doesnt look different enough from other 4 series inside or out, and being rear wheel drive and having ridiculous torque at such low revs, even more so after remapping, you always get the feeling when pushing on that it's going to do something unpredictable, hence why there are so many cat D's available.

The build quality and the dealers for me are the biggest problems, the quality is nowhere near say a similar Audi, and the dealers really dont give a s**t.

From a driving experience perspective, I get excited in a really childish way when I a know I am going to drive the GTR, never felt that way in the M4 or the 911 actually, although the 911 was a better experience than the M4.

Each and everyone to their own of course, I would never criticise anyone for going down the M4, C63 or even the Alfa route, but for me I wish I had skipped the M4 and gone straight to the GTR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venner View Post
I get that childish feeling every time i go for a drive aswell.
+2 Such a fun car, open it up and it's smilesssssss per miles! Maybe that's why people seem to keep them longer than most other high performance cars. Plus as RJA999 has said, people on the street love the R35, people let me out generally when I'm poodling around, because they want to have a look and give the thumbs up.. and when round town, it get's lots of thumbs up and young kids/teenagers pointing with mouth's open and/or shouting "Geeee Teeeee Arrrrrrrr!" .

To coin a phrase being used around, the R35 seems to be the 'peoples champion'.
jrattan and RJA999 like this.
R35 GT-R Black Edition ACSpeedtech remap/Forged Engine-Carrillo rods/CP pistons/HKS cams Dodson:Linney HD gearset uprated gearbox +2013software/Greddy Intercooler/Russ Fellows exhaust+Downpipes/ASNU 1050 Injectors/ACSpeedtech intakes/MPS4S 265~305/Alcon Extreme duty discs+Hawk pads
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chris**** is hiding

I think a few of us have come from a M4/M3 etc. And I was not overly impressed with mine, even less so on track.

Love the GTR though
RJA999 likes this.
Old 27th July 2017, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
charles charlie is chasing a Veyron from 30-130mph
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: E36 M3 Evo, Mini Cooper S, 996 Boxster S, Caterham Super 7, Merc Tractor :(
Great write up and welcome to the GTR world. It's a car that grabs your heart by its balls and never lets go.

We had a highly specced M4 CP on order until the dealer tried to **** us over (long long story) and we negotiated 18% off list.

That's the two reasons why I'd never buy one. Dealers are utterly untrustworthy and are simply mass sales now, and if I can get 18% off, who on earth is daft enough to pay list.

It's the reason why they cant shift M4s in any number.
RJA999 likes this.

Engine built @ RiversideRacing
Litcho rods/pistons/RaceIC/BOVs/oil cooler/susp+handling kit/front diff
Race Developments ported manifold/AT Power TBs
RF street zorst+DPs
RacingBrake BBK
Xtreme18 Clutch/Dodson 1st gear+shaft/trans brace
2015 alloys/nav upgrade/Nismo cluster
DSC susp controller
DBA front/Varis CF bonnet/2016 Lights
TTE7XX turbos = >900bhp 700lbsft 30-130mph in 8.19s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
charles charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 08:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Killerscum01 is looking for a clear stretch to push his ponies

Cars owned: Stage 4.25 GTR, 911 Turbo, 335D, Evo8 x2, M5, Mk1 Focus RS, TVR Cerbera, many many Cosworths
This was a great read Richard,

I can relate to your situation as I came from 996 turbo but found it boring and fragile to be honest. I went and bought a very nice pre-loved GTR that was at stage 4.25 already. I've had it about about 3 months now and have no intention of selling which, like you is a strange place to be for me, (a newer one maybe).

I love the joy it spreads with pretty much everyone, we call it the "happy car".

The other thing is the Chav comments I receive from friends with German cars, weirdly I just don't care and I even welcome the banter as this car just doesn't need to be defended, it defends itself safe in the knowledge it will ultimately make them all look stupid out on the road. They are just digging a hole. lol
RJA999 likes this.
Old 28th July 2017, 09:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Stealth69 is touching himself furiously in a desperate bid to get warm

your journey to a GT-r sounds like my journey to the local shops if I took my missus directions....... long, convoluted and unnecessary but you got there in the end

good read and glad you're enjoying the car
RJA999 likes this.
Old 28th July 2017, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Alex C is learning my diff
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: R33 GTR, Audi A8
Welcome.

And well done on saving yourself £12K...many wouldn't bother with the extra hassle, more fool them!
RJA999 likes this.