GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/)
-   General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/general-nissan-r35-gt-r-chat.html)
-   -   Nearside shocks leaking (https://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/526370-nearside-shocks-leaking.html)

afsar.imam 29th July 2017 04:46 PM

Nearside shocks leaking

My nearside front shocks are leaking a bit (slight wet) and Sly recommended replacing it. I just spent appx 1800 in service and stage 1 so brakes and shocks will be additional. :rolleyes:

I have always felt car is very harsh but it could be road or the leaky shocks. Will leaky shock make ride quality bad? Car wobbles side to side but coming from BMW world I thought that's norm with supercars specially on London's patchy roads. Can someone please confirm it is leaky shock which is causing this sort of harsh ride quality or just a normal super.

twobadmice 29th July 2017 06:06 PM

Shocks will make it awful! Maybe time for a suspension upgrade?!

afsar.imam 29th July 2017 08:55 PM

A video of usual commute https://youtu.be/ARYUrshuy9g if you look close enough you can see the wobble.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vxrcymru 29th July 2017 10:39 PM

What year is your car?

Trevgtr 30th July 2017 01:25 AM

I would say the leaky shock probably has no effect on the car at all.

A misty shock is very very common almost to the extent of being considered normal.

afsar.imam 30th July 2017 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vxrcymru (Post 5384986)
What year is your car?

2011 DBA.

Trevgtr 30th July 2017 02:01 AM

Just watched the video, would be easier for me not to comment, so please don't take it the wrong way, but the overtake at 2 minutes 30 secs was a classic head-on collison scenario.

The majority of drivers don't actually look left when pulling out of a junction/lay-by/driveway and turning left, they have their head cranked to the right and swing straight out to the left, not even considering that something may be overtaking and hence on the wrong side of the road. It's the cause of most head-ons. You passed 3 entrances on the right as you overtook the tractor, which anything could have emerged from turning towards you with their head cranked to the right.

It's easier for me to keep my mouth shut to not appear patronising, so please don't take it the wrong way, but just waiting till you passed the junction/entrance hazards would have been a safe overtake. Also, you pulled right too early behind the tractor and maximised your time exposed to danger on the wrong side, better to close the gap first and get into a 'contact position' with the tractor.

TurboSam 30th July 2017 04:43 AM

Trev, you a cop ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

gtr mart 30th July 2017 07:22 AM

No. Trev I believe is a prolific overtaker. And correct in what he says. When I was younger that happened to me in my Bosses BRAND NEW COMPANY CAR (lol) although the people came out of a hidden side road.

TREG 30th July 2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevgtr (Post 5385050)
Just watched the video, would be easier for me not to comment, so please don't take it the wrong way, but the overtake at 2 minutes 30 secs was a classic head-on collison scenario.

The majority of drivers don't actually look left when pulling out of a junction/lay-by/driveway and turning left, they have their head cranked to the right and swing straight out to the left, not even considering that something may be overtaking and hence on the wrong side of the road. It's the cause of most head-ons. You passed 3 entrances on the right as you overtook the tractor, which anything could have emerged from turning towards you with their head cranked to the right.

It's easier for me to keep my mouth shut to not appear patronising, so please don't take it the wrong way, but just waiting till you passed the junction/entrance hazards would have been a safe overtake. Also, you pulled right too early behind the tractor and maximised your time exposed to danger on the wrong side, better to close the gap first and get into a 'contact position' with the tractor.

Although I can agree that it would of been safer to wait until overtaking till after the entrances I wouldn't personally call that driving dangerously as it was fairly clear to see there was nothing as those entrances.

Not after a debate, just my opinion.

vxrcymru 30th July 2017 02:31 PM

Speak to Litchfield they have lots of second hand suspension in stock.

Skint 30th July 2017 04:40 PM

I think my friend has a near side shock if you get stuck.

Just pm or ring me on 07860 299991

afsar.imam 30th July 2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevgtr (Post 5385050)

That's camera wide-angle view which is mounted in dead centre. From driver's perspective road ahead was clearly visible, if you see I pulled out in the middle of road and view was pretty clear and no vehicle was seen in a any position which can pull out in any direction. At that point there was no point in backing off so I proceeded with the overtake. I never take undue risks specially when in a GTR :chuckle: I get your point about vehicles hidden away from view but there is no much which can be done about it, it will be bad luck.

5star 30th July 2017 11:59 PM

At about 1:28 when you come to a full stop at the T-junction with the checkerboards, the car takes about 3.5 suspension cycles to stop bouncing! Do they have any oil left in them at all?

afsar.imam 31st July 2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5star (Post 5385842)
At about 1:28 when you come to a full stop at the T-junction with the checkerboards, the car takes about 3.5 suspension cycles to stop bouncing! Do they have any oil left in them at all?

Exactly, this is my worry. Stiff suspension is understandable but car bouncing and wobbling this much looks weird to me. Coming from BMW world (last car was 650i convertible and it was way way comfy)

Only way to check this for sure is to compare it with another GTR, or better get the suspension replaced. Does the suspension replacement need wheel alignment to be redone.

I will see if I can take clear picture of leaky suspension tomorrow.

5star 31st July 2017 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afsar.imam (Post 5385850)

Only way to check this for sure is to compare it with another GTR, or better get the suspension replaced. Does the suspension replacement need wheel alignment to be redone.

What aren't you sure about? Shocks are leaking, Sly is recommending replacement, car takes 3.5+ bounces to settle, car wobbles when you drive it. Don't know what else you need to convince you!

Wheel alignment will need to be reset when you change shocks and is generally included in the price.

Trevgtr 31st July 2017 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afsar.imam (Post 5385690)
That's camera wide-angle view which is mounted in dead centre. From driver's perspective road ahead was clearly visible, if you see I pulled out in the middle of road and view was pretty clear and no vehicle was seen in a any position which can pull out in any direction. At that point there was no point in backing off so I proceeded with the overtake. I never take undue risks specially when in a GTR :chuckle: I get your point about vehicles hidden away from view but there is no much which can be done about it, it will be bad luck.

There's absolutely no way you could see nothing was about to edge out or swing out from those entrances on the right. The vehicle about to emerge would have been hidden by the bushes. That was a very risky overtake, there's no such thing as 'bad luck'.

Overtakes like that are potential head-ons, but the factors all coming together at the same time are very rare, so some people will overtake obliviously across junctions an entire lifetime and get away with it, the 'bad luck' not appearing in their path.

Drivers turning left out of junctions and not looking left is a huge problem, many on this forum will unknowingly be doing it. Nearly every driver I sit next to does it.

afsar.imam 31st July 2017 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5star (Post 5385874)
What aren't you sure about? Shocks are leaking, Sly is recommending replacement, car takes 3.5+ bounces to settle, car wobbles when you drive it. Don't know what else you need to convince you!

Wheel alignment will need to be reset when you change shocks and is generally included in the price.

I am in denial mode just to avoid another trip to Sly, takes too long to drive to him. Sly did recommend replacement but he didn't have any in stock otherwise I wouldn't have thought twice.

Can anyone recommend capable mechanic around London.

afsar.imam 31st July 2017 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevgtr (Post 5385906)
There's absolutely no way you could see nothing was about to edge out or swing out from those entrances on the right. The vehicle about to emerge would have been hidden by the bushes. That was a very risky overtake, there's no such thing as 'bad luck'.

Overtakes like that are potential head-ons, but the factors all coming together at the same time are very rare, so some people will overtake obliviously across junctions an entire lifetime and get away with it, the 'bad luck' not appearing in their path.

Drivers turning left out of junctions and not looking left is a huge problem, many on this forum will unknowingly be doing it. Nearly every driver I sit next to does it.

Driver joining road without looking doesn't need overtaking manuvre for collision. See another very short video of mine here https://youtu.be/JBjZ3LCqstA

Situation you have described happens a lot on the the roundabouts. You can never overtake anything if there are reckless people doing manoeuvres without looking or giving any indication of their intentions. People joining into road if they don't look they may hit other road traffic from back too.

Generally these risk calculations keeps happening in background when you drive, in my next visit through Drift road I will see if this possibility was ever processed or totally ignored.

its_lilz 31st July 2017 02:16 AM

what mileage does your gtr have on it?

ive had leaky front shocks replaced on 2 previous gtrs both around 40k miles, one cba and one dba.

didnt really notice the difference once it was changed but maybe i caught the problem early.

a set of 2016 shocks available on this forum at the moment, great excuse to upgrade!