Nearside shocks leaking - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance


Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th July 2017, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
Post Nearside shocks leaking

My nearside front shocks are leaking a bit (slight wet) and Sly recommended replacing it. I just spent appx £1800 in service and stage 1 so brakes and shocks will be additional.

I have always felt car is very harsh but it could be road or the leaky shocks. Will leaky shock make ride quality bad? Car wobbles side to side but coming from BMW world I thought that's norm with supercars specially on London's patchy roads. Can someone please confirm it is leaky shock which is causing this sort of harsh ride quality or just a normal super.
__________________
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
twobadmice is loving the banter on here
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
twobadmice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London
Posts: 930
Shocks will make it awful! Maybe time for a suspension upgrade?!
__________________
twobadmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
A video of usual commute https://youtu.be/ARYUrshuy9g if you look close enough you can see the wobble.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
__________________
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 29th July 2017, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
vxrcymru is a carbon fetishist
GT-RDC Founder Member
 
vxrcymru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wales
Cars owned: R35 GTR Stage 5 & Evo X FQ400
Posts: 2,513
What year is your car?
__________________
Black MY2010 Black Edition, Litchfield Stage 5 - Switzer P800 turbos, Litchfield suspension, Alcon 400mm front and 380mm back discs with Pagid pads, circlips, front and rear cameras, auto folding mirrors & lots of CF. Advan RSD wheels!
vxrcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member
 
Trevgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somerset
Posts: 2,354
I would say the leaky shock probably has no effect on the car at all.

A misty shock is very very common almost to the extent of being considered normal.
afsar.imam likes this.
__________________
Trevgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxrcymru View Post
What year is your car?
2011 DBA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
__________________
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member
 
Trevgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somerset
Posts: 2,354
Just watched the video, would be easier for me not to comment, so please don't take it the wrong way, but the overtake at 2 minutes 30 secs was a classic head-on collison scenario.

The majority of drivers don't actually look left when pulling out of a junction/lay-by/driveway and turning left, they have their head cranked to the right and swing straight out to the left, not even considering that something may be overtaking and hence on the wrong side of the road. It's the cause of most head-ons. You passed 3 entrances on the right as you overtook the tractor, which anything could have emerged from turning towards you with their head cranked to the right.

It's easier for me to keep my mouth shut to not appear patronising, so please don't take it the wrong way, but just waiting till you passed the junction/entrance hazards would have been a safe overtake. Also, you pulled right too early behind the tractor and maximised your time exposed to danger on the wrong side, better to close the gap first and get into a 'contact position' with the tractor.
__________________
Trevgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
TurboSam is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
TurboSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 142
Trev, you a cop ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
__________________
TurboSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
gtr mart is fast and loud
GT-RDC Member
 
gtr mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stratford upon Avon
Posts: 5,632
No. Trev I believe is a prolific overtaker. And correct in what he says. When I was younger that happened to me in my Bosses BRAND NEW COMPANY CAR (lol) although the people came out of a hidden side road.
__________________
gtr mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
TREG is the man to speak to about photographing your wedding!
R35 Section manager
 
TREG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West sussex.
Cars owned: R 35 GTR
Posts: 10,611
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
Just watched the video, would be easier for me not to comment, so please don't take it the wrong way, but the overtake at 2 minutes 30 secs was a classic head-on collison scenario.

The majority of drivers don't actually look left when pulling out of a junction/lay-by/driveway and turning left, they have their head cranked to the right and swing straight out to the left, not even considering that something may be overtaking and hence on the wrong side of the road. It's the cause of most head-ons. You passed 3 entrances on the right as you overtook the tractor, which anything could have emerged from turning towards you with their head cranked to the right.

It's easier for me to keep my mouth shut to not appear patronising, so please don't take it the wrong way, but just waiting till you passed the junction/entrance hazards would have been a safe overtake. Also, you pulled right too early behind the tractor and maximised your time exposed to danger on the wrong side, better to close the gap first and get into a 'contact position' with the tractor.

Although I can agree that it would of been safer to wait until overtaking till after the entrances I wouldn't personally call that driving dangerously as it was fairly clear to see there was nothing as those entrances.

Not after a debate, just my opinion.
__________________
Your GTR wedding photographer.
TREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
vxrcymru is a carbon fetishist
GT-RDC Founder Member
 
vxrcymru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wales
Cars owned: R35 GTR Stage 5 & Evo X FQ400
Posts: 2,513
Speak to Litchfield they have lots of second hand suspension in stock.
__________________
Black MY2010 Black Edition, Litchfield Stage 5 - Switzer P800 turbos, Litchfield suspension, Alcon 400mm front and 380mm back discs with Pagid pads, circlips, front and rear cameras, auto folding mirrors & lots of CF. Advan RSD wheels!
vxrcymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 04:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Skint is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,374
I think my friend has a near side shock if you get stuck.

Just pm or ring me on 07860 299991
__________________
Skint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
Just watched the video, would be easier for me not to comment, so please don't take it the wrong way, but the overtake at 2 minutes 30 secs was a classic head-on collison scenario.

The majority of drivers don't actually look left when pulling out of a junction/lay-by/driveway and turning left, they have their head cranked to the right and swing straight out to the left, not even considering that something may be overtaking and hence on the wrong side of the road. It's the cause of most head-ons. You passed 3 entrances on the right as you overtook the tractor, which anything could have emerged from turning towards you with their head cranked to the right.

It's easier for me to keep my mouth shut to not appear patronising, so please don't take it the wrong way, but just waiting till you passed the junction/entrance hazards would have been a safe overtake. Also, you pulled right too early behind the tractor and maximised your time exposed to danger on the wrong side, better to close the gap first and get into a 'contact position' with the tractor.
That's camera wide-angle view which is mounted in dead centre. From driver's perspective road ahead was clearly visible, if you see I pulled out in the middle of road and view was pretty clear and no vehicle was seen in a any position which can pull out in any direction. At that point there was no point in backing off so I proceeded with the overtake. I never take undue risks specially when in a GTR I get your point about vehicles hidden away from view but there is no much which can be done about it, it will be bad luck.
__________________

Last edited by afsar.imam; 30th July 2017 at 09:03 PM..
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
5star is aware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Cars owned: R35 MY14
Posts: 321
At about 1:28 when you come to a full stop at the T-junction with the checkerboards, the car takes about 3.5 suspension cycles to stop bouncing! Do they have any oil left in them at all?
__________________
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 12:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
At about 1:28 when you come to a full stop at the T-junction with the checkerboards, the car takes about 3.5 suspension cycles to stop bouncing! Do they have any oil left in them at all?
Exactly, this is my worry. Stiff suspension is understandable but car bouncing and wobbling this much looks weird to me. Coming from BMW world (last car was 650i convertible and it was way way comfy)

Only way to check this for sure is to compare it with another GTR, or better get the suspension replaced. Does the suspension replacement need wheel alignment to be redone.

I will see if I can take clear picture of leaky suspension tomorrow.
__________________

Last edited by afsar.imam; 31st July 2017 at 12:54 AM..
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 01:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
5star is aware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
5star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Cars owned: R35 MY14
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar.imam View Post

Only way to check this for sure is to compare it with another GTR, or better get the suspension replaced. Does the suspension replacement need wheel alignment to be redone.
What aren't you sure about? Shocks are leaking, Sly is recommending replacement, car takes 3.5+ bounces to settle, car wobbles when you drive it. Don't know what else you need to convince you!

Wheel alignment will need to be reset when you change shocks and is generally included in the price.
__________________
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Trevgtr is eating tyres and drinking 99ron, expensive diet, rapidly approaching 100k miles in R35's
GTROC Member
 
Trevgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somerset
Posts: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar.imam View Post
That's camera wide-angle view which is mounted in dead centre. From driver's perspective road ahead was clearly visible, if you see I pulled out in the middle of road and view was pretty clear and no vehicle was seen in a any position which can pull out in any direction. At that point there was no point in backing off so I proceeded with the overtake. I never take undue risks specially when in a GTR I get your point about vehicles hidden away from view but there is no much which can be done about it, it will be bad luck.
There's absolutely no way you could see nothing was about to edge out or swing out from those entrances on the right. The vehicle about to emerge would have been hidden by the bushes. That was a very risky overtake, there's no such thing as 'bad luck'.

Overtakes like that are potential head-ons, but the factors all coming together at the same time are very rare, so some people will overtake obliviously across junctions an entire lifetime and get away with it, the 'bad luck' not appearing in their path.

Drivers turning left out of junctions and not looking left is a huge problem, many on this forum will unknowingly be doing it. Nearly every driver I sit next to does it.
__________________
Trevgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 01:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
What aren't you sure about? Shocks are leaking, Sly is recommending replacement, car takes 3.5+ bounces to settle, car wobbles when you drive it. Don't know what else you need to convince you!

Wheel alignment will need to be reset when you change shocks and is generally included in the price.
I am in denial mode just to avoid another trip to Sly, takes too long to drive to him. Sly did recommend replacement but he didn't have any in stock otherwise I wouldn't have thought twice.

Can anyone recommend capable mechanic around London.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
__________________
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 01:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
afsar.imam is at work...
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling
 
afsar.imam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Cars owned: Nissan GTR, Nissan LEAF and a Mini
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevgtr View Post
There's absolutely no way you could see nothing was about to edge out or swing out from those entrances on the right. The vehicle about to emerge would have been hidden by the bushes. That was a very risky overtake, there's no such thing as 'bad luck'.

Overtakes like that are potential head-ons, but the factors all coming together at the same time are very rare, so some people will overtake obliviously across junctions an entire lifetime and get away with it, the 'bad luck' not appearing in their path.

Drivers turning left out of junctions and not looking left is a huge problem, many on this forum will unknowingly be doing it. Nearly every driver I sit next to does it.
Driver joining road without looking doesn't need overtaking manuvre for collision. See another very short video of mine here https://youtu.be/JBjZ3LCqstA

Situation you have described happens a lot on the the roundabouts. You can never overtake anything if there are reckless people doing manoeuvres without looking or giving any indication of their intentions. People joining into road if they don't look they may hit other road traffic from back too.

Generally these risk calculations keeps happening in background when you drive, in my next visit through Drift road I will see if this possibility was ever processed or totally ignored.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
__________________
afsar.imam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 02:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
its_lilz is boooosted
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
what mileage does your gtr have on it?

ive had leaky front shocks replaced on 2 previous gtrs both around 40k miles, one cba and one dba.

didnt really notice the difference once it was changed but maybe i caught the problem early.

a set of 2016 shocks available on this forum at the moment, great excuse to upgrade!
__________________
its_lilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
http://www.Tyreforums.com

tyreforums

 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.